Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > Mexico and Central America
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Lime Chicken w/Watermelon Salsa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lime Chicken w/Watermelon Salsa
    Posted: 19 February 2016 at 11:48
As should be evident from some of my more recent posts, we’ve been on a Mexican food kick lately. Here’s another recipe we just tried:

Grilled Lime Chicken with Watermelon Salsa

2 cups chopped, seeded watermelon
½ cup chopped cucumber
½ cup chopped orange or yellow sweet pepper
½ of an ear fresh sweet corn, kernels cut from cob
2 tbls snipped fresh cilantro
1-2 fresh jalapeno chile peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
1 tbls finely chopped red onion
1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
¼ cup lime juice
1 tsp packed brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2 lbs total)
1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1 tbls vegetable oil

For the salsa, in a medium bowl combine watermelon, cucumber, sweet pepper, corn, cilantro, chile peppers and onion. In a small bowl combine ½ teaspoon of the lime peel, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, the brown sugar, salt and crushed red pepper; add to watermelon mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least one hour to let flavors combine.

Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper seasoning. In a small bowl combine the remaining ½ teaspoon lime peel, the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, and the oil.

For a charcoal or gas grill, grill chicken on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no loner pink (170F), turning once halfway through grilling time and brushing with the oil mixture during the last 2 minutes of grilling. Serve chicken with salsa.

Obviously I made some modifications. First, the word “peel” refers to zest. At least that’s how I read it.

We left out the corn. Friend Wife loves it, but it doesn’t love her, and we avoid it when possible.

Now for the chilies. Again, for Friend Wife’s sake (she doesn’t tolerate a lot of heat), I omitted the red pepper flakes. I used one jalapeno, minced, so as to spread it through the salsa and not have her bite into an actual fragment. Doing this added to the flavor level, without adding appreciable heat.

The breasts we bought for this were rather large. The package of six weighed 4.6 pounds, twice what the recipe calls for. No big deal. I pounded them to make them even, averaging about ½ inch thick. Each of these would subsequently make two servings (that is, totaling 12).

For the actual grilling, I grilled the chicken four minutes on the first side, brushed the tops with the lime/oil mixture, and flipped them. The second side cooked for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, I brushed the new tops again. At the end of five minutes I flipped the breasts and let them grill for another minute.

Absolutely delicious! Plus, if you want more heat for your own portion, just sprinkle some of the red pepper flakes on the salsa, just as you might do with pizza.

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 02:21
Sure sounds good Brook....can't wait to get the grill fired up again.
I am a lover of just about anything with lime in it, so this ill certainly get done at casa Hoser.
Did you just serve it with the salsa over the breast, or were there other sides as well?
Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 08:06
You wuss! I was standing in snow when I grilled the breasts. You gotta toughen up, boy!

Along with the chicken I made a Chayote--Poblano--Leek Gratin. The two really worked well together.

Soon as I find the typing time I'll post that one.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 02:57
That's all I needed to know Brook, thanks. This one is up high on the to-do list.
Go ahead...play with your food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2016 at 19:18
I've really got to give this a go. Logistically, it won't be until summer, but late is better than never.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic