Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > Western Canada
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Crispy Ginger Beef- A Calgary Creation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crispy Ginger Beef- A Calgary Creation
    Posted: 06 March 2016 at 12:35
I was a Saucier in a large downtown Calgary hotel in the 80's.

Over time I developed a crispier version of this famous Calgary recipe taught to me by a dishwasher who had worked in the kitchen when and where it was originally created.

I taught my version to a Hutterite Colony in the High River Alberta area in 2005.

It is now a Hutterite Colony staple in Southern Alberta.

http://www.acanadianfoodie.com/2014/04/08/crispy-ginger-beef-the-authentic-calgary-recipe/
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2016 at 12:54
That looks excellent, Murray, and it is really nice to see a Canadian original on the forum!

Thanks for posting the recipe, as well as the story; Crispy Ginger Beef at a Hutterite colony - that really is something! It might be kind of neat if that tradition moved south to the colonies here - with all of their wonderful, fresh produce, it would be delicious, indeed!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2016 at 13:09
I swore Suzie to secrecy, but visiting family members watched her prepare it and suddenly the recipe crossed over from Dariusleut to Lehrerleut.

If you want to take me to your favorite Colony sometime, I would be more than happy to spend an afternoon with the ladies teaching them some of their favorite Chinese recipes.

I was one of the few white faces in a Asian kitchen for many years.
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic