Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The FOTW Farmer's Market
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sourdough Pasta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sourdough Pasta
    Posted: 15 April 2016 at 16:55
I was in Planet Organic today and found this Sourdough Pasta. Pasta Fermentata.
It looks intriguing and so I wanted to get home and research it a bit before purchase. Made in Kaslo BC.

I love the idea of this innovative Western Canadian product and will purchase some next week and give a review.

http://pastafermentata.com/index.html

I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2016 at 02:34
That does sound interesting....any idea what the first application of it will be?
Go ahead...play with your food!
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2016 at 08:27
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

That does sound interesting....any idea what the first application of it will be?

Great question.

That is the exact question that I have been pondering.

They allude to a lightness and textural difference. So Step one will be cook a very small amount to try on it's own.

But knowing my sausage-centric brain, likely I will exploit the fermented tang of my Manitoba Farmers Sausage in a saucy hot Pasta dish.

Another germ of an idea rolling around in my head is to see if my local store carries all of the varieties. If I can procure the Sourdough Rye or the Sourdough Dark Spelt, then I will replicate the flavours of a Rueben Sandwich in a hot pasta dish. I will use my home cured Corned Beef and a lipase fortified Mornay Sauce and some House-made Caraway kissed SauerkrautBig smile
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2016 at 17:48
Percebes: Somewhere I have a copy of a recipe that might interest you. Never tried it but it is a reuben casserole. Kind of a strata of rye bread with corned beef, kraut and cheese. I'll see if I can find it later.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 12:12
Originally posted by Tom Kurth Tom Kurth wrote:

Percebes: Somewhere I have a copy of a recipe that might interest you. Never tried it but it is a reuben casserole. Kind of a strata of rye bread with corned beef, kraut and cheese. I'll see if I can find it later.

That would be both awesome and much appreciated.Clap
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2016 at 13:35
Reuben casserole

16 oz. sauerkraut, undrained
12 oz. corned beef, shredded
2 C. Swiss cheese, shredded
1/4 C. thousand island dressing
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 green bell pepper in rings
1/4 C. rye or pumpernickel bread crumbs
2 T. butter, melted

Place kraut in 1.5 qt. baking dish. Top with beef, then cheese. Spread dressing over top. Top with tomato slices and pepper rings. Combiine crumbs with butter. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Let stand five minutes before serving. 6-8 servings.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic