Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Balkans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Brasov - Romanian Stuffed Cabbage.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brasov - Romanian Stuffed Cabbage.
    Posted: 04 May 2016 at 01:48
BRASOV, ROMANIA .. CLASSIC  STUFFED ROMANIAN CABBAGE ..

By Margaux  Cintrano

During the month of March 2016, I had spent 10 days and 9 nights in Brasov, Romania.

The essence of taste in this región, reaches far beyond the culinary creations steeped in profound traditions in this región.

Eating in Brasov, and its neighboring hamlets, villages and the historic district of the small city, defy all stereotyping, with more than plenty to keep to its visitors constantly entertained gastronomically.

When one reads about a place called Transylvania, one is automatically flown to a haunted castle, Castle Bran, perched upon a high hill top, surrounded by age old trees and enclosed by tall iron gates, as lightning strikes against the old castle dating back to 1377.

In reality however, Transylvania is a terrority of grand enchantment, and epicurean adventures.

One of the most classic traditions, served at lunch time is the Romanian Stuffed Cabbage accompanied by Romanian Wine.

Here is the Recipe:

THE INGREDIENTS ARE:

1 large Green cabbage
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil ( Preferably Greek or Turkish )

THE MEAT FILLING:

2 tablespoons of Evoo
1 large Onion finely minced
1 small leek finely minced
2 small shallots finely minced
100g (1/2 pound) Long grain rice
225 g (1/2 pound) Ground beef and ground porc
Fresh dill finely chopped
Fresh parsley finely chopped
1 tsp Ground cumin
Mint herb finely chopped
Salt and Black Pepper

Sincé I had not prepared this dish, I ate it in a Hamlet in the village of Poiana, a Hamlet in the high mountain pass to Brasov, I can only provide, the exact instructions translated by a Dear Chef Friend.

1) Firstly, prepare the rice and the cabbage in 2 separate stock pots filled with salted water.

2)  The ground porc & ground beef:

a) soak day old bread in milk and then press out the excess liquid and combine with the ground meat.

b)  Combine the meat with the spices, salt and black pepper and fresh finely chopped parsely and dill.

c)  Sauté the leek, shallot and garlic in Evoo until just tender.

d)  Strain the leek, shallot, onion and garlic from the Evoo, pat dry with Kitchen Paper Towelling & add to the ground meat.

e) Now, strain rice and cabbage ..

3) Add  rice to the ground meat mixture.

4)  Prepare the Cabbage leaves to be rolled and filled with the meat ..

(Continued below)
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 06:49

FINALLY HAD SOME TIME TO FINISH THIS RECIPE AND POST 2 PHOTOGRAPHS ..

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BAKING THE ROMANIAN CABBAGE ROLLS:  

1)  After straining the cabbage leaves from their salted water, the veins of the cabbage leaves should be removed .. on a cutting board.

2)  Place the leaves on cutting board ..

3)  Pre heat Oven to 375 F Degrees or 190 Centigrade Degrees.

4)   Place approx 1.5 ounces of meat mixture on each leaf ..

5)  Then, one by one,  roll up the leaf and tuck in all sides to seal the meat "tightly" .. 

6)  Place the rolls in a casserole oven type,  or deeping baking tray with 500 ML. Stock, either veal or  chicken ..

7)  Seal the baking vessel with aluminum foil or a glass cover that fits very tightly ..

8)  Let cook in oven, for 35 minutes - 40 minutes at 375 F or 190 C degrees.

This recipe is an authentic Translyvania tradition and it is served in all Romanian Taverns,  Restaurants from traditional to modern minimalist  and Wineries for lunch.

ENJOY. IT IS WONDERFUL ..  And similar to a Greek Stuffed Cabbage called LAHANODLINADES however,  a completely different flavor profile with profound nuances.  

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:38
I would love to try this - those Transylvanians know how to cook!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 12:30
Yes, it is a profoundly steeped historical cuisine .. all from the land into the  pot so to speak ! 

Have a wonderful weekend ..  

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 14:50
Margi - I may give this a try, soon. Do you recall about how much salt and water are used, and how long the cabbage leaves are allowed to ferment in the slated water?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 15:44

Good Evening Ron, 

Cabbage Leaves:   They are just placed in salted high simmering water .. Until just tender al dente.. The wáter should just cover a bit over the leaves ..  

You do not want the leaves excessively soft as they are going into the oven too .. So just al dente. 

Salt:  To taste ..  A couple of pinches .. 

As the meat going into the leaves is also salt pinched ..  2 Pinches is fine ..  

Hope this has helped ..   

It is amazingly delicious ..   

Thanks again .. Have  a lovely evening ..  

It is commonly served with Polenta ..  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 15:47
Sounds good - thank you, Margi!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 02:10
Thumbs Up Ron, 

Look forward to seeing your récipe .. 

This is delicious ..  

I shall check my cell Tablet as I believe I have a foto ..  

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 08:47
Hi, Margi -

I received your photo - here it is:

It looks great!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 08:52
Ron,

Thank you so very much ..

As you can see there are 2 stuffed cabbage rolls and a mound of polenta and on the right there is a tomato and some sautéed Winter veggies ..

Absolutely the best stuffed cabbage I have ever had ..

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 03:42
Ron,

Have you ever made the  Brasov, Romanian Cabbage ?

Definitely a must do this coming weekend .. It is still quite cold here and foggy with grey skies and scattered rains ..  

Pefect for this weather ..  

Have a lovely day ..  

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 09:24

Tas,

You have never answered .. 

Have you ever made the stuffed cabbage ? 

It is truly a jewel of a classic .. 

I was amazingly surprised and then I spent  3 weeks in Bucharest in 9 / 2016 ..

So, I had it a few times, as it is a specialty, both as an appetiser and a main lunch entree ..

Best regards. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic