Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Library
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

International Night

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: International Night
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 10:44
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:18
Would you check that link, Melissa? It doesn't open for me. Thanks

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 16:52
It didn't work for me this time either. I'll try again.

Well heck, I don't know what's wrong. It's by Mark Kurlansky and his daughter Talia, and here's a description from Amazon:

Once a week in the Kurlansky home, Mark spins a globe and wherever his daughter's finger lands becomes the theme of that Friday night's dinner. Their tradition of International Night has afforded Mark an opportunity to share with his daughter, Talia--and now the readers of International Night--the recipes, stories, and insights he's collected over more than thirty years of traveling the world writing about food, culture, and history, and his charming pen-and-ink drawings, which appear throughout the book.

International Night is brimming with recipes for fifty-two special meals--appetizers, a main course, side dishes, and dessert for each--one for every week of the year. Some are old favorites from Mark's repertoire, and others gleaned from research. Always, they are his own version, drawn from techniques he learned as a professional chef and from many years of talking to chefs, producers, and household cooks around the world. Despite these insights, every recipe is designed to be carried out--easily--by any amateur chef, and they are designed to be completed with the assistance of children.

Mark and Talia invite you and your family into their kitchen, outfitted with overflowing packets of exotic spices and aromas of delicacies from Tanzania and Kazakhstan to Cuba and Norway. From there, recipes and toothsome morsels of cultural and historical information will fill your bellies and your minds, and transport you to countries all around the world.

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 02:32
Try it again folks...pretty sure I fixed the link for you.
Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 06:26
Thanks for fixing it, Dave.

And thank you, Melissa, for posting it. Mark is my favorite food historian, and I read whatever of his work I can find. This new one sounds like a winner, and is on my list.

I think the biggest difference between Mark's family and others who do similar things is frequency. Once a week is pretty quick for the average household to research, purchase, and prepare foreign foods. My own globally themed meals were done once monthly, for instance. And sometimes that was a stretch.

I know Dan used to (perhaps still does?) do something similar with his kids. The children had to research a country; its history, culture, cuisine, etc. Then they'd do projects about what they learned, culminating in a meal. I'm sure Dan can fill us in with some of the details.

I loved the idea, and wish I'd thought of it when my kids were young enough. It makes history, geography, and social studies fun, instead of the bore it often is in school.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic