Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > South America
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

making choclo loaf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making choclo loaf
    Posted: 19 April 2010 at 15:57
on saturday, we prepared a choclo loaf as part of our aztec feast. #2 son mike prepared the choclo according to rivet's recipe and also took pictures.

here are the goods - it's easy!

after cutting the corn off the cob,

he mixed the rest of the ingredients together

and tossed it into the oven. instead of loaf pans, we used a cake pan.

we baked this at 350 for just under an hour, then set it on the SnP grate to keep warm while the pork finihsed up:

doesn't it look good? i must say, this stuff tasted great! everyone was impressed with it and there were no leftovers. loved the corn flavour as well as the cheesy goodness ~ this is so easy and so good that it should be a staple on any american southwest or central/south american regional menu.

here's a plated picture of the aztec feast featuring the choclo loaf ~

Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 16:20
You outdid yourself Ron....outstanding!Clap
Go ahead...play with your food!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2010 at 04:59
Wow, fantstic how you made it turn out in that sheet cake pan- gotta try that! beautiful brown color and the spring onion greens looked like bits of jalapeno in it. Nice to know everyone loved it and you are right on thinking it should be a staple in South Western cooking...it sure fits, and would be in keeping with the region's food legacy from the ancient indians there.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 02:25
I'm making the choclo loaf today, along with some smoked CSR's and a Rivet-inspired salad with the Moroccan dressing. I'm using very finely julienned carrot, fennel, apple, red onion and will add some slivered almonds and currants to complete the North African theme. I will update as time allows.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 04:54
Good grief, Dave, that sounds awesome! I'm imagining the flavor of barbecued csr's with the Morroccan salad and think they are going to go hand-in-hand! Definitely looking forward to your results and accompanying descriptions Thumbs Up
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 05:07
Made what I mentioned above Rivet, the CSR's and salad came out great, but the choclo loaf I did in the smoker at a lower temp, and it was a little bit runny...but tasted very nice. Unfortunately I was having some camera issues...(actually stupidity issues...I erase them by mistake) so I have no photographic evidence to show. Overall...it was a success that will get a little tweak or two next time.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 05:18
No worries on the issues, dave- we all have that once in a while! How'd Mrs Hoser like the meal? Was that too much garlic in the sauce for the salad? Mrs Rivet and I love garlic so there were no worries there, but it might have to be toned down a bit for some.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 05:31
We are both garlic freaks, so no issues there...but in all honesty she was not as thrilled with the salad as I was...but she's not a cumin person either. She thought the salad was good...I thought it was a notch above good.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 10:06
Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

the spring onion greens looked like bits of jalapeno in it. .

That gives me an idea, I'll bet this would be even better some with jalapenos or habaneros mixed in!  Woo hoo, I'm gonna try that!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 11:14
Originally posted by Boilermaker Boilermaker wrote:

Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

the spring onion greens looked like bits of jalapeno in it. .

That gives me an idea, I'll bet this would be even better some with jalapenos or habaneros mixed in!  Woo hoo, I'm gonna try that!
Hey Andy, I've made this with also adding a small (3 oz) can of diced green chiles (the Mexican kind) and it turned out good, but they are way too mild for me. Make sure you drain them cause they add a lot of moisture and it won't set up properly.

Even better is -as you said- to finely dice up jalapenos.....that is the best I've tried; 'course I put in seeds and ribs and all, so it can be hot. Never tried it with habs, but that sounds perfect for my chili-head! Great idea Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic