Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Midwest and Great Plains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Nebraska weekend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nebraska weekend
    Posted: 11 October 2016 at 11:26
Sounds like a great weekend Tom! Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 10:22
Hey, Tom - sounds like you had a great time! The Beautiful Mrs. Tas and I have been able more recently to go on "mini-vacations" as we call them and are loving every minute of them. It sounds as though you had a great time.

I know precisely what you mean about the rural steakhouses; Montana and the Dakotas had many in my youth - not as many today. The menus were usually pretty darn Spartan, but the food was, in every single experience, extremely good. Many fond memories, and I try to stop at them when we can find them.

Interesting about the pizza place as well - up here, every town of any size over 1500 or so residents seems to have it's own local pizza place that has been in operation for about 50 or 55 years, and they are all wonderful. Some of my earliest memories are of Eugene's in Glasgow, Montana, and it still, 40-odd years later, tastes exactly the way I remember it.

Glad you had a good time!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 18:57
Trace and I took a well-deserved long weekend and visited Omaha for four days. While we did interesting touristy things, I'm sure what will interest people here will be what was consumed. After a day at the Henry Doorly Zoo Friday, we went to Omaha's Old Market for dinner. The Old Market is an entertainment district with the expected range of food options with street magicians and musicians thrown in. We ate at the Spaghetti Works. I had eaten there once 30 years ago and had a fondness for the place. Trace really enjoyed her chicken alfredo bake, while my fettucini with white clam sauce failed to meet up to memory of the previous visit. A real bargain at about $40, tip included.

Friday, after spending most of the day at "Junkstock", a sort of flea market on steroids, we searched out a rural steakhouse. If you're not familiar with Nebraska's food heritage, two things stand out: Czech cooking, especially kolaches, and steakhouses. Most of Omaha's steakhouses are of a subset: Italian steakhouses. Now, I have nothing against Italians or Italian steakhouses, but it was not what I had in mind to introduce Trace to real beef. We found a place out in the country about halfway between Omaha and Lincoln. Prime rib, 16 oz., served au jus with a creamy horseradish sauce and mushrooms, sides of onion rings and grilled asparagus. Yep, we were fat and happy after that.

Sunday, we spent the morning at Lauritzen Gardens, fascinating for anyone with an interest in gardens that goes beyond fresh tomatoes and sweet corn. In the afternoon we migrated to Lincoln to deliver a barn wood headboard to my sister. The three of us had dinner at Valentino's, a buffet based on Italian cuisine. The original Val's is just pizza, but what pizza it is. Nebraskans throughout and Lincoln residents have long enjoyed this marvelous pizza. I thought the buffet was a good idea since it would expose Trace to more that just pizza. In retrospect, I wish we had gone to the original--the buffet simply did not offer enough variety of pizza. Nevertheless, pretty fine fare.

Then, as we visited with sister, son Nick called with his big news as detailed in my other post of today.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic