Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Russia and Her Neighbors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sprats and smoked cheese from Latvia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sprats and smoked cheese from Latvia
    Posted: 11 October 2016 at 13:41
welcome to the forum! Glad to have you join us.

Quote We even picked up a whiskywurst from there, more pics to come in the German forum.

I can't wait to see this one. I've never heard of a whiskywurst but I'm quite interested now! Thumbs Up
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 12:31
I'd give that a try, any day of the week. Looks great!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Benedict View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benedict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 10:45
Hey Ron that's really cool to hear! I have lived here for about 2 and a half years in total and really got into the food of the north - western, central, and eastern wise. I love to cook a whole swath of stuff that I've discovered on my travels through ukraine, slovakia, slovenia, hungary, austria, germany and a bunch more places. here's the photo  yum. My mum used to eat sardines with tabasco on cruskits (a puffed wheat biscuit common in Australia, probably elsewhere too) with salt and pepper, so i had a go at that. washed it down with a local lübzer pilsner and a shot of this interesting schnapps we picked up from a german Whiskey distillery down in the Hartz region in Niedersachsen, right on the border to the former east. We even picked up a whiskywurst from there, more pics to come in the German forum.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 10:09
Hey, Benedict! We'd love to see what you have to post ~

I tried Latvian sprats once and really enjoyed them. I did not know what to expect, but they were very good!

My wife's Grandmother was born in Slovakia, way back in the days when it was still part of the Hungarian Kingdom. Through her, I was able to learn a great many things about Slovak and Hungarian cuisine, and I have shared much of that here. I know the cheese that you mention, and it is wonderful, indeed.

Please look around and let us know if you have any questions. We really enjoy learning, and for me, it is a journey into my own past. I am mostly German, with ancestors from Alsace, Bavaria, Hannover, Prussia and elsewhere, so I am always eager to learn, especially from someone who is there. Reading books is nice, but it is no substitute for "the real experience."

Thanks again for posting, and I look forward to more.

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Benedict View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benedict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 09:46
First post! great forum, thought I'd just jump in a make a post! I just found out that my local supermarket here in Hamburg stocks some Latvian products so I grabbed the smoked sprats in oil and smoked cheese. Incredibly good! I have been discovering more eastern and central European cheeses lately including one that is from the Slovakian tetra mountain region which was a smoked semi-hard goats cheese in a rope, made for portability. Also incredible. I'll try and work out how to get some pictures up in case anyone else is interested. Exciting checking out all the amazing pictures in this forum so far :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic