Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Cheeses and other Dairy Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Quark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quark
    Posted: 30 October 2016 at 10:45
Posting for later -

http://www.theomaway.com/side-dishes/homemade-quark-recipe/
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 11:36
Have heard 0f quark before and am quite curious about it, so I started a batch today. Checked two grocery stores; the only b'milk available was low-fat. Hope that doesn't foul things up. After checking around the 'net for recipes, I think I'll try it as a sub for ricotta in a lasagna next week-end. That won't use all of it, so maybe I'll try making some parfaits with a mix of berries and some granola.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 19:26
Tom, I've often wondered what the label "low fat" means on buttermilk.

Although it's made differently, nowadays, buttermilk is what's left after they remove the butterfat from whole milk. In short, it's low fat by definition.

Let us know how it turns out.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 08:52
Hi, Tom -

It seems to be used a lot in Hungarian, Slovak and other cooking that would be considered central- or eastern-European. I am sure that it is used prominently elsewhere, but in my mind, that is where it is associated the most.

Good luck, and do keep us posted!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 17:42
Quark is hanging in a tea towel from a pair of cabinet pulls over a large bowl. Trace says it looked kind of slimy going into the towel. But it doesn't smell bad she says. We'll see.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 17:48
Was reading Oma's entry about quark while seeking uses for the stuff. Interestingly, she suggests adding salt and chives and then serving with boiled potatoes. One of the oddities of my family's food heritage is to add chopped onion, salt and pepper to cottage cheese and then eat it over fried potatoes. Perhaps the origin dish was with quark. 
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2016 at 09:29
Hey, Tom -

I suspect that you may be right. quark, farmer's cheese, "pot cheese" and similar products all seem to have a common origin and usage as far as I can see. I could be wrong, but it appears to be the case.

It sounds like things are going well - keep us informed!

Also, that family food dish of yours sounds pretty darn goo - I'll probably give something similar a try before too long.
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2016 at 17:48
After the quark hung for the recommended two hours, it was still quite wet so I let it hang over night. Didn't want to leave it unrefrigerated all day long so I turned it into a casserole and put it in the fridge. It was kinda rigid around the outside but still quite creamy in the center. Since I want to use it in a lasagna, I would prefer it drier. I think it would have drained better if I had actual cheesecloth instead of muslin. Ate some at morning break with apple--OK but not the best combo. I had no berries which sound really good with it. A co-worker tried it--likened it to Greek yoghurt. I agree but maybe a little like sour cream too. Found some strawberries in the fridge. When they thaw we'll give 'em a try. Maybe mix some with garlic and jalepenos for a dip. Gotta stop at the grocery tomorrow. Will bring home some fresh berries and give that a go.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 10:20
Tried the quark a couple ways day. Mixed some with some sweetened raspberries. Very like a fruit added yoghurt. Put some of that on toasted English muffins--better just out o the dish. Made Nick and Trace egg Mcmuffins for breakfast. Nick toppedhis withquark similar to eggs Benedict. He kinda shrugged--not worth doing again. Lydia liked the fruited better tha yoghurt. I'm putting together a lasagna for dinner. For the filling I combined mozzarella, drained cottage cheese, some chopped spinach and a large dollop of quark. Added couple of eggs because the quark is a little wet. We'll see what that turns into.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 17:11
Trace and Nick really liked the lasagna. Me? Not so much, but that's typical o the way our tastes diverge and coincide. However, because of the particular  mix of ingredients in the filling, the quark was mostly
lost amongst the other flavors. I wouldn't use it again. The raspberries and quark are a keeper though.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 19:20
Some young brothers from a nearby town have attempted to diversify their farming operation into home manufactured dairy products since their small farm is way too small to provide adequate income for all the brothers by conventional farming needs. I had heard of their attempts and seen some of their products in local grocery stores. Loved their cheese curds. Today I ran across their quark. $5.95 for 8 oz. is pretty pricey for my pocketbook but I decided to try some. Haven't opened it yet. Will pick up some bagels tomorrow, maybe combine the quark with some fruit preserves for a schmear. I'm interested to try some commercially produced quark as all I've previously had was the home made detailed here. We'll see.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic