Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Topics > The Veranda
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Thanksgiving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanksgiving
    Posted: 20 November 2016 at 09:24
My ex-husband was a great cook who brought all kinds of nice things to Thanksgiving dinner. I have...rather the opposite reputation. So for the past few years, I've been bringing crackers and cheese for appetizers.

But I've been learning! So this year I'm bringing actual cooked food: Roasted carrots with bacon, OJ, and thyme. I made a test batch yesterday, and liked it. And my family's actually willing to try it!

I hope they like it. If not, I'm bringing crackers + cheese too, just in case. :)

What's everybody else cooking?
Sponsored Links

Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 10:09
Usually, we gather with m wife's family.

Wait minut , I've otta tell  yo thi. We have a new computer with a terrible keyboar that skips lotof etters,etc. I'm so tired of backspacing to repar what the kyboard mises that I'm only goi to redo enough typos fo it to make sense. I hope it makeyou smile bcause it angers me ad that anger needs to turn into a positive. Back to my narrative.

This year four members of her family are moving to neww homes so it's everyone for themselves. Thus it's just Trace and me, our son Nick and his fiance Lydia. So instead of turkey e'll step up to a prime rib roast from the local abbatoir, Yorkshire pudding with brown gravy, candied carrots, my Grandmother's cranberry-nut salad. If I find time I'll make a Pugliese loaf that we really love. A bottle o rose' that I like.

Looks like the 'puter is behaving a little better. Maybe I just needed to embarrass it.

Hppy hoidays.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 11:11
Thanksgiving is at my house this year, and since my wife self-proclaims that she's a horrible cook, I'll be doing most of it.

Fairly traditional stuff. Have a whole turkey and two breasts (I'm the only one that likes dark meat), dressing, green bean casserole, broccoli salad, stuffed jalapeno pepper (atomic buffalo turds). I might defrost a tritip and do that in the smoker, but I haven't decided yet.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 17:38
Mike, how do you do your stuffed peppers? I cut mine length-wise; clean and seed; stuff with a mix of cream cheese, cheddar cheese and either browned breakfast sausage or chopped shrimp; wrap each with a half slice of bacon; then bake; and finish under the broiler.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 09:10
Originally posted by Tom Kurth Tom Kurth wrote:

Mike, how do you do your stuffed peppers? I cut mine length-wise; clean and seed; stuff with a mix of cream cheese, cheddar cheese and either browned breakfast sausage or chopped shrimp; wrap each with a half slice of bacon; then bake; and finish under the broiler.

pretty similar. I cut them in half the long way, clean out the seeds and veins and stuff with usually just some cream cheese mixed with some kind of bbq rub, whatever I have on hand. For the bacon wrap I use the cheapest bacon I can get, cut each strip in half then use the back of a butter knife to stretch it out so it's nice and thin then wrap them. I do mine in the smoker at somewhere between 225 and 250 until the bacon is crisp and the jalapenos are soft but not mushy. Smile

I used to chop the top off and clean them out with a vegetable peeler and then use the ziplock bag trick to fill them, but that because too much of a pain in the @$$. So now I just do them as boats. No one complains.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 12:08
This year we'll be going as far from the traditional Thanksgiving dinner as it's possible to get. We'll be having:

Converso Roast Leg of Lamb
Couscous with onion & raisin confit
Carrot salad

This, as may be obvious, is yet another Sephardic menu, and will appear on that thread. So y'all will just have to wait for details when I post it there.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 12:34
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

This year we'll be going as far from the traditional Thanksgiving dinner as it's possible to get. We'll be having:

Converso Roast Leg of Lamb
Couscous with onion & raisin confit
Carrot salad

This, as may be obvious, is yet another Sephardic menu, and will appear on that thread. So y'all will just have to wait for details when I post it there.

Oh man, can I come to your place?!
Mike
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 13:27
Well sure, Mike. Always room to set one more plate.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2016 at 17:03
People liked my carrot recipe!

This is the first time I've brought "actual cooking" to a holiday dinner, so I'm thrilled.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 04:51
Way to go, Melissa!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 11:48
Great Job Melissa! it's a good feeling isn't it?
Mike
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2016 at 17:45
Thanks! Yes, it was great. Even my aunt, who does "fancy cooking," liked them. And people commented that I could bring them for Christmas dinner too. Makes me wish I'd requested time off beforehand to cook!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 10:12
Great job, everyone - we did traditional Thanksgiving fare, but each dish had a slight twist. The sweet potatoes were cut into disks and topped with a maple-pecan glaze and a single marshmallow, then baked to cook the disk and toast the marshmallow. The green bean casserole skipped the soup but added bacon and another sauce that was really good...things like that. The Beautiful Mrs. Tas also made a very nice cranberry salad.

The only two things that were "by the book" in the traditional sense were the turkey and stuffing...lots of stuffing...too much stuffing.... But that's ok.

Everything was good, for sure. I wouldn't mind a repeat for Christmas, with a ham added, of course!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic