Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Library
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

A Nice Hit For Me---and FotW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Nice Hit For Me---and FotW
    Posted: 25 January 2017 at 11:03
Back in the fall I introduced you to Lisa Goldfinger and her incredible food blog, Panning The Globe.

As a result of my hooking up with Lisa through her blog, she invited me to participate as a guest, talking about my work with Colonial era foods. And the same time, she did some further updates on the Cheshire Pork Pie, which is included in one of my cookbooks.

That blog---in which she also graciously refers her readers to Foods Of The World---has just been posted. A fine job, if I say so myself. You can see it all at
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2017 at 11:46
very cool! congratulations!

edit: just finished reading the entire article, very nicely done and a nice plug for you and FotW! I think I might give the Cheshire pie a try in the future.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2017 at 13:14
Try and do so, Mike. It's really good. And I truely like Lisa's approach.

One thing that makes me smile, of course, is that savory pies are one of the current trends among celebrity chefs. They act, though, as if its a new concept. Yeah, right!

Stand by for my next selection---four and twenty blackbirds.....
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2017 at 20:05
    What a nice article, Brook!  It really is interesting to see how you go into a recipe from yesteryear.  Lisa did a fantastic job as well...job well done all the way around!

And yes, I've got to make the recipe too!
Enjoy The Food!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 02:30
A very nice write up indeed...that pie looks wonderful.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:05
It sure does. When Lisa sent me any early view of the pix, my response to her was, "who's gonna wipe the slobber off my screen."

What I'm really hoping is that some of her readers will join FotW. So many of our contributors have opted out, in favor of social media etc. that we can use new blood to help re-invigorate the forums.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:20
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Stand by for my next selection---four and twenty blackbirds.....

Ooo! I can't wait to see that one
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2017 at 19:20
What the heck, Mike. If it was good enough for Henry VIII......
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 22:04
I made this pie.  It is amazing.  Freshly grated nutmeg? sugar?  Yep! Awesome.  A keeper for sure.

Who needs blackbirds Wink
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 09:09
Would be a nice gesture, Gman, if you were to leave a comment at Lisa's site(link above), letting her know what you thought of the pie.

That said, there are literally dozens of recipes for savory pies in 18th century and earlier cookbooks. In our own two books we've included three: the Cheshire Pork Pie; a Steak & Ham Pie (which is the precursor to the 19th century Steak & Kidney Pie); and even one for a Salt Fish Pie---which sounds weird, but is really delicious.

Lots of possibilities for this approach.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 12:05
I would have placed the pie on a trivet inside a standing dutch oven and baked it both over and under hot coals, as was originally intended, but the weather decided to encase everything in ice when I was ready to go.  Next time.

I posted a comment on Lisa's site.  It is awaiting moderation but it is done. 

I have also posted an extended pictorial of this cook on 2 other forums. They now know who Hannah Glasse was.  I'll give your books a plug if that's okay.  It probably won't generate much as there is a small audience for this type of stuff but I find it fascinating.

BTW, The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy by Hannah Glasse is available as a free download at google books.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 09:24
Brook, this is an outstanding feather in your cap, and I congratulate you wholeheartedly!

I checked out the blog post and really enjoyed her write-up on this. I also liked withy our comments about bringing these historical recipes to life.

Now, I just need to make the pie - the ingredients speak to a flavor profile that must be pretty close to heaven. Perhaps, this will be our Easter meal? That is our target date for our next "extravagant" meal, and this would be worthy of the occasion.

Congratulations again, Brook - well-deserved - and huge gratitude for your mentioning the forum, as well. It is very much appreciated.

gMan - very nice work on your rendition, with a beautiful photo. That portion in the front, with the remainder of the pie in the back, is very inviting. If I had a fork, I would probably try poking the screen of my computer.

If you'd consider posting your extended pictorial here, as well, I'd think that it would find a happy home. In my opinion, we can never have too many posts here, especially such good ones.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 03:03
Coincidentally, we made this last night, using Lisa's modernized version. Once change: Nichole, one of her readers, had suggested reducing the wine to 1/3 cup, because her bottom crust came out soggy.
http://www.panningtheglobe.com/2017/01/25/cheshire-pork-pie/#comment-125834

We did that, and the bottom crust was still a bit on the mushy side. Next time, we'll blind-bake the bottom crust first, as well as reducing the wine. That should solve the problem.

Friend Wife and I are both rolling pin challenged, so the pie didn't look anywhere near as pretty as Lisa's or Gracoman's. But what the hey! the proof is in the eating.

All in all, a great dish. And a wonderful way of tracing the evolution of a recipe.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 03:45
G-Man: Sorry, but I missed your one comment above. Certainly you can tout my books anywhere you please; and thanks for doing so. There's no such thing, after all, as too-much publicity.

Here are the details:

A Colonial Virginia Book of Cookery, and A Colonial Virginia Book of Cookery Second Table are available for $17.50 each (includes shipping) from Historic Foodways, PO Box 519, Richmond, KY 40476, HistoricFoodways@hotmail.com.

gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 15:45
Geeks are everywhere!  Geeks are in my family Shocked.  Well, I'm willing to play along.  At least a little bit.  So I've decided to hold a Game of Thrones geekfest for the upcoming season 7 (?) premiere which should be along soon.  I don't know exactly when but I'm sure I will be told.

What better way to appease the nerdiest of the nerds than by preparing a resplendent feast straight out of the official Game of Thrones cookbook?

Now here's the kicker.  I expected to hear squeals of delight to this suggestion but no...   I was asked to prepare Cheshire Pork Pies for this "celebration" of sword and sorcery.  They will fit well.  Just ask the nerds LOL

This is (among other things Wink) a screwy testament to this wonderful recipe.  High praise indeed!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 07:50
Awesome!

It's also the second time in less than a week that I've heard of this cookbook from GoT, so now I may have to check it out. I've not yet watched any of the series, but am saving it for a future binge.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic