Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Africa > West Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Peanut Chicken

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peanut Chicken
    Posted: 11 March 2017 at 14:26
I just made a variation of the Peanut Chicken recipe from "Niger Night" in
https://smile.amazon.com/International-Night-Daughter-Including-Recipes/dp/1620400278/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_y2609328962?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

I've never cooked or eaten anything quite like it before.
Sponsored Links

Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2017 at 18:38
"I've never cooked or eaten anything quite like it before."

This phrase sounds somewhat non-committal, the kind of polite comment my mother was so adept at making when someone was fishing for a compliment. You can be honest with us--did you like it or no?LOL
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 10:05
Yes, although it went kind of like this:

1st taste of the sauce alone: "This is... different."
2nd taste: "....but not bad..."
Taste w/a piece of chicken in it: "Ok, now that's good!"
Served over rice, the way the recipe calls for: "Yep. This is good. Not my all-time favorite thing, but i like it. And if my "natural" peanut butter hadn't had sugar in it (again, the way the recipe calls for), I think I'd like it even better."
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 11:34
OK, that's better!
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 08:09
I've had different variations on Southeast Asian chicken with a peanut butter sauce, and I've always liked it. The peanut butter DOES add...something...and it is good, indeed.

Might have to try this!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 08:12
A quick additional note: I've liked all of Kurlansky's books that I've read, so far, and will probably end up getting this book, which looks a lot like what I've tried to do with my own children.

On another note, "The Food of a Younger Land" is also worth a look. It was, in my estimation , simply one of the best works ever on the food history and culture of "modern" America:

http://a.co/aU4h2u7
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 09:02
+1 on Kurlansky! His work is everything food history should be; and, alas, too often isn't. Compare "The Food of a Younger Land" with Pat Willard's "America Eats," and you'll see what I mean. Although Willard beat him to the punch, compared to the Kurlansky book, "America Eats" is a waste of ink and paper.

And, of course, anyone interested in food who hasn't read his "Salt," well, shame on 'em.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 13:53
I have "Salt" and "Food of a Younger Land." Both fascinating. I nay get "Cod" someday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic