Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > The Caribbean Islands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Best dishes in Barbados?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best dishes in Barbados?
    Posted: 12 March 2017 at 23:46

Hi all,

I will be traveling to Barbados for vacations. Since I am a food lover, I want to try the most famous delicacies there. I did a small research online, and I found this article, http://thecrane.com/blog/2016/11/23/5-barbadian-dishes-dont-want-miss/. The top 5 dishes in Barbados are listed there, and I think they are too good to miss. I want to know if there is something more? And does anyone know where to get the best wine there?

Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 05:02
     I must say that I'm not very familiar with the food of Barbados, nor the land.  I know when we would fly into an area, outside of the U.S, we use the taxi cab service.  While doing this we always look forward to finding a driver that we develop a quick rapport with.  We then ask if they would mind recommending, or driving us around, showing us various can't miss places.  

Whatever you find, be sure to report back!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 08:17
I've done some reading on Caribbean foods - what I love most is how the contributing cultures combined with local/available ingredients to create food that Is tied together, yet completely unique to each island.

Please let us know what you learn - I am not entirely familiar with the cuisine of Barbados specifically, but what little I've seen, looks incredible.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 08:25
I can share two books that I own and enjoy looking through; I've tried a few of the recipes, and all have been good.

The first is Time/Life's Foods of the World - the Cooking of the Caribbean Islands:

Amazon link ---> http://a.co/hUQSFH1

The second is Culinaria - The Caribbean:

Amazon link ---> http://a.co/bKXSqes

(Note - Please click on the links above and take a look at these books - doing so helps this forum to help pay for itself!)

As you can see on the links both books are very affordable, through Amazon purchase, and I have found them to be a wealth of information. The Culinaria book is a little more "upscale" than the FotW book, but both together give a very nice profile, in my opinion, of the diverse and rich cultures that are found in the Caribbean.

Hope this helps!

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 00:38
Originally posted by rebekah rebekah wrote:

Hi all,

I will be traveling to Barbados for vacations. Since I am a food lover, I want to try the most famous delicacies there. I did a small research online, and I found this article, http://thecrane.com/blog/2016/11/23/5-barbadian-dishes-dont-want-miss/. The top 5 dishes in Barbados are listed there, and I think they are too good to miss. I want to know if there is something more? And does anyone know where to get the best wine there?

I would most certainly try the fresh seafood first, and anywhere in the Caribbean the jerked pork or chicken should certainly be worth your while.

Most of all, have fun and try a few tropical beverages as wellWink
Go ahead...play with your food!
rebekah View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 21:08
Hey, thanks for those replies. I will surely keep all this in mind. 
And yes, even I love seafood, so that will be a must try. 
I will surely come back and post my experiences and about the cuisine. Thank you all!! I hope to have some fun and good food. !!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic