Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Holy Thursday or Good Friday Bacalao y Garbanzos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Holy Thursday or Good Friday Bacalao y Garbanzos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Thursday or Good Friday Bacalao y Garbanzos
    Posted: 12 April 2017 at 13:56

POTAJE DE BACALAO, GARBANZOS y ESPINICAS / COD FISH WITH CHICK PEAS & SPINACH STEW ..

The origins of this Lent famed dish in Spain, date back to the 4th century, when the Romans occupied The Iberian Peninsula, and a Chef named Cellio Apicio, probably of La Vera,  Extremadura, Andalusian origins.

This recipe was documented in 1599, when potaje recipes were authored.

1 POUND ( 500 GRAMS ) of Chickpeas, soaked overnight
2 pounds of fresh spinach washed and sliced
1 pound of potatoes, peeled and sliced into small chunks
salt to taste
2 hard boiled eggs
1/2 Cup of Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Thick slice of "French " or "Italian " Style Baguette - 1 day old
2 cloves of garlic peeled
1 small onion  finely sliced
1 teaspoon of Piménton Smoked Paprika from La Vera, Extremadura
1 Pound of Fresh / Frozen Cod Fish ( Keep slabs of Cod Whole and have a slab for flaking the cod )

1) Heat water in a large stock pot.

2) When it comes to a boil, add the soaked overnight chickpeas, cover and simmer over low flame / heat, for approximately 2 hours.  I would taste test every 1 / 2 hour.  They should be tender but remaining in their "bean shell" ..

3)  Add the spinach, potatoes and salt to taste, and cook slowly for 30 minutes longer.

4)  Chop the whites of the hard boiled eggs and reserve.

5)  Now in a skillet, add your Evoo  and sauté the bread which is sliced into small pieces.

6) Then remove the bread and set aside. At the very end, add the sautéed bread to the stew with the whites of egg as a garnish.

7)  Now sauté the onion until golden, the garlic,  and then add the Piménton, stir and quickly pour this mixture over the chickpeas.   Now, briefly sauté the fish. And add some cod flakes from one slab of cod to the Chickpea mixture. 

PIMENTON:  Smoked sweet red chili peppers, from  La Vera, Extremadura can be found in all Latin Markets ..  Make sure it says: DULCE ( sweet ).    It usually comes in a red tin for those unfamiliar .. 
Similar to Paprika ..

8)  The cod should have center stage, and thus,  1 slab of cod fish or 2 small slabs can be served on top of the stew or at bottom or separately plated. 

NOTE:  This dish can be leftovers for the next day, so I prefer to separate the Cod Fish and add to the bowls verses cooking the fish with the beans, as the fish tends to disintegrate and the beans dominate.  

8)  Top with the hard boiled eggs & sautéed bread for garnish ..

Serve with a White Wine from Spain or a Sidra ( Cider ) and some oven hot bread.

Delicious ..

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 19:23
I've had versions of this, and it's a great dish. But, Margi, isn't something missing between steps 2 and 3? How long to cook the chickpeas?

I agree: It's better to add the fish separately, so it maintains its integrity. I've had versions of this in which the cod was added in large flakes, and that isn't bad either.

The key, I believe, is that the fish have a distinct presence.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 02:00
Brook,

1)  Yes you are correct and I re-edited number 2.  I taste test approx. every half hour .. Have found Chick peas require approx. 2 hours on low slow flame.  They also produce such a gorgeous liquid or gravy which is a key too for this dish ..

2)  Yes, I also have had the cod fish separately prepared or added to the chick pea and vegetable stew in "cod flakes" .. 

3) I agree that the Cod fish should have center stage ..  However, both are quite delicious.

However, I do prefer to cook actually a slab of cod separately and use another piece of Cod for the flakes to give the stew, a "cod" touch ..

It is an easy dish to prepare and very popular at this time of year as it is still on chilly side.

Thanks and Happy Holidays ..

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 08:38
It sure looks good - another one to put on my list!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 08:41
Ron,

It is a simple Spanish Classic and so so good ! 

Thanks,  

Have a wonderful Easter Holiday ..

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 08:43
Eventually, I'll make it. It just looks too good not to try.

I made what seems like a similar dish some time ago with cod, potatoes and peas a couple of years ago on 25th July for Día de Santiago (Bacalao a la Gallega). I took photos, and still need to post them!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 14:53

Ron,

Amazing surely !  Another wonderful dish ..  However, Cod fish used is Salt Cod as it is unavailable during months with out THE LETTER " R "  ..  The eggs need to hatch ..  So, it is quite limited ..

THE GALICIANS Use a Fish Called SOLLA ..  IN ENGLISH SOLLA IS:   PLAICE -  A European Atlantic Flounder caught off Scotland ..

It is much more refined and sublime, as Cod has its Omega and oily finish ..  

However, Plaice is used in Galician Stews in thick chunks .. or slabs .. 

LOCALLY OFF ATLANTIC IN SOUTHERN SPAIN: LOTS OF SQUID AND CALAMARI AND LANGOSTINOS WHICH ARE HUGE PRAWNS TIGER OR WHITE.   

Also summertime is SHELLFISH and GALICIAN BABY OCTOPUS AND SQUID SEASON verses finned fish here. 

i did not realise I had written the recipe but yes, it is marvelous and simple !!    PLAICE would be wonderful with this dish too ..  OR FLOUNDER .. OR EVEN SEA BASS ..

THANKS. HAVE A LOVELY HOLIDAY.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic