Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Greece
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Keftes De Peshkado - Rhodian Fish Cakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keftes De Peshkado - Rhodian Fish Cakes
    Posted: 21 April 2017 at 09:39
Keftes De Peshkado - Rhodean Fish Cakes

This recipe comes from Brook's thread on Sephardic foodways, which is posted in the Iberian section of the forum, due to the history of the Sephards. I am also re-posting it here in the Greek section; not only to give it a little more exposure, but also because much of the lineage of this dish is Rhodean as well as Sephardic.

First, here is the recipe:

Quote Keftes De Peshkado
Rhodian Fish Cakes

1 stalk celery in chunks                                             
1/2 carrot in chunks
1.5 tsp fresh lemon juice                                          
3 black peppercorns
1 tsp salt              
Handful of parsley stems
1 lb 2 oz mixed fish fillets (hake, salmon, cod, etc.)
5 oz potatoes       
A few fresh dill stalks
1 tbls olive oil       
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tbls scallion, finely chopped                                   
1.5 tbls finely chopped parsley
1 tbls finely chopped dill                                          
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch white pepper

For coating:       

1/2 cup white flour
1 or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs or matzoh meal

Oil for frying plus 1 tbls butter

Put the celery, carrot, lemon juice, peppercorns, salt and parsley stalks in a pan of boiling water. Reduce to a simmer. Add the fish and cook for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily. Flake fish with fingers, discarding any skin or bones. Chop carrot finely.

Simmer the potatoes with dill stalks in salted water until they are tender. Drain, remove dill, and mash or pass through a ricer. Mix in the olive oil.

Combine fish with the potato, carrot, egg, scallions, dill, parsley, salt and pepper.

Shape the fish into balls about the size of an egg and flatten slightly. Or use a 1 ¾” disher. Dip cakes into flour, then egg, then matzoh meal. Transfer to a tray and chill, covered, until ready to fry.

Heat 1 inch of oil and the butter. Fry cakes, in batches, until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on a rack or paper towels. Serve hot.

We had this for supper last night - and yes, you folks do need to try it!

We prepared ours with cod and tilapia, and the results were very good. My #3 son, Mike, made them while The Beautiful Mrs. Tas and I were on our way home from work, and he did a pretty good job.I really liked the way that the carrot and celery provided a nice balance to the fish; the dill, lemon, pepper and scallions were also a very nice touch. This dish comes together really nicely, and I can't help but continue to think that Sephardic cuisine is among the best undiscovered cuisines that one could hope to find.

The rest of the family really enjoyed them, as well - their only criticism was that the fish cakes could have had a little salt and/or lemon at serving. My solution: a salt and pepper shaker, and lemon wedges.

Very, very good stuff, Brook - thank you for the introduction to this!

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 06:01
Sounds like a nice variation on the theme, Ron.

Personally, I think of tilapia as a way of adding bulk, or as a blank canvas for other flavors. It really doesn't have much flavor of its own (which is why it's often described as fish for people who don't like fish). When I made this with cod & salmon, the stronger flavor of the salmon really made the cakes shine.

What I most like about the Rhodian approach is that it is fish forward. Other, similar, recipes I've tried had greater proportions of potato, and they were more like potato cakes with fish then fish cakes.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 06:45

I believe if you can get your hands on Gilt Head Bream ( often called Dorada ) and / or Denton, which are native to Greece / surrounding Mediterranean countries, this dish shall sing "Memories" ..

However, Cod or Salmon provide their Omega which give the dish the intensity of amazing flavors ..
(Though not native to this region obviously .. )

An idea has come to mind.  I do not know whether a team from FOTW could contact some Greek Food Distributors who import Greek Products from the Islands, and could sell wholesale to FOTW as a Team ..   

Have a lovely weekend.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 07:08
Gilt Head Bream would be a great! choice, Margi, if only more readily available.

Gilt Head Sea Bream (Sparus aurata) has been a revered Mediterranean food fish since ancient times. In fact, one of them is illustrated in a Roman mosaic unearthed at Pompeii.

Marketed in the U.S. as dorade, it masquerades under many names. Just a few: Dorado in Spain, Orata in Italy, and Dorade Royale in France.

Gilt Head Sea Bream has an incredible flavor, due to its own diet, which is primarily shellfish and crustaceans. It’s jaw structure and teeth are ideally suited for this. When cooked, it produces large, flavorful flakes of white flesh.

Although there is still a limited wild catch, the bulk of it is farm raised, using a deep-water system developed by the Israeli’s. Most of it is farmed off of Corfu.

While it is imported into the U.S., most of it never leaves New York, although some is redistributed to other large cities like Los Angeles. So, sadly, it’s just not a viable choice for most Americans.

Among fish considered reasonable substitutions are Red Snapper, Pompano, and Sea Bass. Although none of my references say so, I suspect that trigger fish would be a good substitute as well, due to its similar diet (triggers feed primarily on barnacles), and flesh structure.

Although it is incredibly popular in Europe, I can find no references to Denton being imported to the U.S. in any significant quantity.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 07:20
Brook,

Thank you very very much for all your exemplary research.

Yes,  oven baked Sea Bream ( rose toned silver scales similar to Red Snapper coloring )  is a tradition during the Christmas holidays in Spain .. 

Gilt head, ( Dorada, Dorado, Dorade Royale ) on the other hand is a blue fish in actuality with an oily texture .. 

Yes, the Michelin and Hotel Michelin restaurants get 1st catches !!  ( Nyc and L.A. )

I am thinking that Caribbean Grouper could be lovely breaded and sautéed in your recipe ..

Thank you and have a fabulous Sunday ..

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 06:06
Yeah, grouper would be a good choice, other than the pricetag.

I'm thinking just about any fish would work for these. The hallmark is that two types of fish are used.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 07:58
Brook,

Interesting that The Mediterranean has Grouper, called:   Mero in Spanish & Portuguese and Mérou in French ..  

We have a proverb:   From the sea, the Grouper and   from the land, the lamb .. 

It is very common to serve Grouper in the Mediterranean with Almonds and Oranges.

The Caribbean Grouper, WHOSE LENGTH MAY WELL BE OVER 1 METRE,  is also highly esteemed on the islands and in Key West and Miami Beach / Miami.

Yes, I understand, being inland, prices would ROCKET !!!   

ANOTHER FISH RECOMMENDED:  CORVINA .. There are 2 types:  Mediterranean / Southern Atlantic, called MEAGRE in FRENCH and Corvina in Spanish and Portuguese .. 

AND THE WESTERN PACIFIC OF CHILE AND PERU.  

IT IS VERY COMMON IN TURKEY !!! 

Well, as you mentioned, the recipe would work wonderfully with most fish varieties.

Shall definitely give it a go  !!!

Have a lovely day. 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 06:59
Grouper is probably the national fish of Florida. It's found all over the Sunshine State, in applications too numerous to mention---although fried grouper sandwiches are, perhaps, the most popular dish.

It astounds me, though, what it costs once it leaves Florida. Around here it can cost almost as much as Monk Fish and Chilean Sea Bass---arguably the most over-priced fishes since Laserus was a corporal.

Given their size and weight, and the large catches brought to dock, I don't see why it costs any more than, say, cod. Just another victory for the marketers, I reckon.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 07:47
Brook,

For example, how much is Cod fish in Kentucky and where is it from ?  Caribbean / Floridan Waters Grouper ?

COD FISH During Season:  October -  April:   Arctic Iceland, Greenland,   Norway and Sweden & Newfoundland costs approx:   7 Euros a Kilo ..  It is the most quintessential scaled finned fish for the Lent Season ..

Mediterranean GROUPER quite large, but NOT as large as the Caribbean variety:  8 - 10  Euros a Kilo.

Seabass:   9 Euros or 10 Euros a Kilo ..

Of course, sea bass is being farmed in the Mediterranean so, prices are a few Euros higher for a wild fresh catch. 

On Vieux Port, Marseille at the Docks,  it runs about 12 Euros a kilo, right off the line. 

I believe this has to do with a few things, but primarily:  LOCALITY. If it is being purchased at the docks,  then of course it is cheaper.  But once it moves via truck, or plane, the price tag rockets.

Also, it is cultural. 

As I mentioned about Cod fish.  Italy, France, Spain and Portugal
have a very profound relationship with Cod and Lent, thus, the Government regulates the average price for the catches.   

This is a profound historic  fish for the Mediterranean countries.

Chilean fish and wines, have risen quite a bit ..  Corvina, is a similar to Seabass and there are 2 varieties;  The Pacific Chilean and the Atlantic -  Mediterranean .. IT IS DIRT CHEAP HERE ..

Nobody wants it ..   So, prices are low so people will buy it and try it ..

Have a wonderful day .. Nice chat ..

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2018 at 06:37
Brook,

This is exemplary and yes, I had prepared using wild grouper from the Mediterranean and also wild Cod from The Norwegian applellation of Skri ..  

We preferred it with the Cod !  It was truly wonderful ..  

Exemplary !

Thank you for all your expertise and historical research too .. Always fascinating to read ..   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic