Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Hunting and Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

WHY I MISS THE OCEAN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHY I MISS THE OCEAN
    Posted: 21 June 2017 at 02:26
https://www.facebook.com/avalonpier/

Whenever Friend Wife and I vacation (this year in late September) we head to the Outer Banks, and fish Avalon Pier.

Take a look! And be sure and scroll down to the pix of the first keeper cobia of the year.

While it's true that June and October offer the best fishing, it's good all year. Last summer, two or three cobia in that size range were caught every week. Plus, of course, the mixed bag of other species.

If you're looking to stock the freezer, and have fun doing it, OBX is the place!

I'm sure Hoser would disagree. But what about the rest of you? Who else has a favorite fishing hole? And why?

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 03:00
I would not disagree in the slightest Brook. I personally love the Carolina coast, but when I go I like to fish for wahoo...in my opinion, the tastiest fish that swims. Wink
Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 08:32
Maybe not the tastiest, Dave. But if it isn't, it runs whatever is a close second. I'd certainly put triggerfish near the top of the list as well.

The nice thing about OBX, particular Avalon, is that you have a shot at these critters without needing a boat. Avalon is the closest pier to the actual reef, so both reef-dwellers and pelargic (sp?) species provide a very mixed bag. But all five of the public piers provide superlative angling.

And it goes without saying, that, with a couple of hundred miles of frontage, the surf fishing is unparalleled.

I grew up fishing the high surf, and have to say that, with the possible exception of Montauk, there's none finer.

Interestingly, although king mackerel can be taken from the piers, I've never heard of a wahoo in that close. Alas!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 11:01
The only ocean fishing I've ever done has been off a boat, not sure if you'd consider it deep sea or not since we rarely go too far out, but I've recently been looking into surf perch fishing off the beaches. I have a week at the coast coming up, I might give it a shot. We don't have piers like that here in Oregon but I bet it's great fishing off them.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 07:10
Mike, I'm sure there's some sort of definitional difference between in-shore, off-shore, and blue-water fishing. I just don't know what they are.

From you're description, I'd think of your experiences as in-shore.

But what does it matter? The only question is, did you have a good time? If so, it was a good trip.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 13:18
I've never fished the ocean...but someday....

My favourite fishing hole is actually a lot of them. Places I've been going to since I was a kid. And, every now and then, I drive by a new place that I would love to try. Just last week, we stopped at Meadowlark Lake in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming - I'd give a pretty penny to fish that, but I had no Wyoming license, and The Beautiful Mrs. Tas was in a hurry to continue along.....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 11:41
So, if there's any confusion about why they call it fishing instead of catching, head on over to Avalon pier, and see what they've been catching since we returned home
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic