Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Welcome to the Foods of the World Forum > New Members' Lounge, Announcements and Site Assistance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Possible Alternatives to PhotoBucket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Alternatives to PhotoBucket
    Posted: 07 September 2017 at 14:32
Well, since PhotoBucket had their meltdown, we have been left out in the cold as far as ways to post photos. I am starting this thread so that we can list and discuss possible alternatives or solutions.

https://postimages.org/ - I have not yet used this site, but have heard good things about it.

http://imgur.com/ - ditto

If there are more, please feel free to add them.

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 15:13
Not familiar with this one, but it looks promising:

http://imageshack.com/
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2017 at 04:44
Ron...I'm toying with the idea of hosting my own...setting up a domain with chevereto.
Phil at s-m (hawgheaven) has been using it for years and really seems to like it.

I have to do a bit more research, but I'd rather pay for my own domain than give those pricks at photobucket one red cent.

It seems quite reasonable for a site with moderate traffic, under 50 bucks a year.
Go ahead...play with your food!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2017 at 09:14
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

Ron...I'm toying with the idea of hosting my own...setting up a domain with chevereto.
Phil at s-m (hawgheaven) has been using it for years and really seems to like it.

I have to do a bit more research, but I'd rather pay for my own domain than give those pricks at photobucket one red cent.

It seems quite reasonable for a site with moderate traffic, under 50 bucks a year.

I was going to go that route too, even went as far as downloading the software. But then I looked at the terms of service for my server and it specifically bans image hosting sites Dead I still might do it anyway, I doubt they'd say much if it's just my personal images. Another thought I had was to take one of my old computers and set it up as a web server and put it on there, but I'm not sure I want to hassle with that.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2017 at 10:30
I decided to go with Imageshack.  $18.00 for a year and they will not block any posted photos should you decide to not continue with the service.  Imageshack charges an annual fee to upload photos, not post them to third party's.  All uploaded images are still postable but you will not be allowed to upload any more photos without paying the annual fee.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 15:10
I'm liking the idea of ImageShack; will hopefully get that set up toward the end of the week.

In the meantime, I'll give postimages.org a try and see how it works.

Thanks to all so far - if anyone finds any other alternatives, I'd be happy to learn about them. And, like others have stated, I'll never - ever - use Photobucket again.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 08:41
I am thinking that there MIGHT be a solution for the members who use Google Drive/Google Photos, but I am not quite sure, yet. When I know more, I'll post about that.

Mike (PitRow) also found a possible solution:

Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

I heard...that if you add ~original to the end of the image url it fools photobucket into displaying the image even if you are restricted.

To be honest, we're just not 100% sure (yet) what the best solution is, yet. GracoMan's post about ImageShack is probably the most "solid" solution that I can see at this point, but if my Google idea ends up working correctly, it might be good, too.

I wish I had more news....

Ron
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 13:15
When I first noticed my my photobucket photos had been restricted, before I knew why it had happened, I simply opened a new photobucket account under a new name.  Same IP address of course but a new name.  Photobucket has not restricted this new account presumably because there are relatively few pictures uploaded to it and posted.  At least that is what I decided after I discovered the why of what had happened.  I stopped using my new photobucket account immediately and began searching for a new service. 

If members here using photobucket have not yet been restricted it follows they are tracking how often the service is used for posting before cutting it off.  For those who still have viewable pictures I would suggest leaving well enough alone.  Don't open your account.  Don't even go there and your photos may stay put wherever that may be.

Google Drive has also had its share of changes and support for the "old" Google Drive was dropped this past March or April. 

Some folks have tried Amazon but I don't know how it is, or was, working for them.  It may require an ongoing Prime membership.  I don't know how it works there.

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 14:49
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Mike (PitRow) also found a possible solution:

Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

I heard...that if you add ~original to the end of the image url it fools photobucket into displaying the image even if you are restricted.

I have verified this solution works. At least for now.

Using one of the images in Hoser's escargot bourguinon thread (Here) that was broken I made up a test file on my computer and made an image link to the original image:

"i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/Hoser997/escargot-1.jpg"

and then a link to the image but added the ~original to the end:

"i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/Hoser997/escargot-1.jpg~original"

The original unedited link showed up  with the "please upgrade" message, and the edited link showed the actual image. I'll upload a screenshot (to photosuckit since that's all I have right now) in a minute.

Of course this is not a long term solution, but it does work to fix your images for now until we figure out something else.

Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 15:36
I logged on to my PB account to test Mike's method. 

Only a few of my pics in my account have been replaced by the "Update Your Account" badge.  I brought back photos just by copying the images.  It may be even simpler than that.  The badge replaced photos are not returnable.  I brought back as many photos as I cared to in one session.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 06:54
Originally posted by gracoman gracoman wrote:

I logged on to my PB account to test Mike's method. 

Only a few of my pics in my account have been replaced by the "Update Your Account" badge.  I brought back photos just by copying the images.  It may be even simpler than that.  The badge replaced photos are not returnable.  I brought back as many photos as I cared to in one session.
Twas a short lived victory for me. All of my pix have returned to the nether regions.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 08:19
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 08:33
If you can see this, then my Google Photos solution is working:

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 09:18

If you can see this, then my Google Photos solution is working:

shows a broken image icon for me Confused
Mike
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 09:21
Mike - being much more tech-minded than I am, perhaps you can make some sense out of this:

https://sites.google.com/site/picasaresources/Home/Picasa-FAQ/google-photos-1/how-to/how-to-get-a-direct-link-to-an-image

I've tried the solution suggested (adding ~tmp.jpg or ~?.jpg to the end of the Google Photo's URL, then wrapping it all in the tags). It seems to work sometimes, but not others, with no apparent rhyme or reason for the inconsistency.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 09:32

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 09:34
This link also seems to have information that could be used:

https://sites.google.com/site/picasaresources/Home/Picasa-FAQ/google-photos-1/how-to/how-to-get-a-link-to-a-picture
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 12:05

Mike - being much more tech-minded than I am, perhaps you can make some sense out of this:

https://sites.google.com/site/picasaresources/Home/Picasa-FAQ/google-photos-1/how-to/how-to-get-a-direct-link-to-an-image

I've tried the solution suggested (adding ~tmp.jpg or ~?.jpg to the end of the Google Photo's URL, then wrapping it all in the tags). It seems to work sometimes, but not others, with no apparent rhyme or reason for the inconsistency.

At first, when I went to the url of the pics I would get a "bad link" or "not found" message from google. So I changed the ending from "h1024-no~.jpg" to "h1024-no?.jpg" and that seemed to work better, but it shows me an image with a 'do not enter' type symbol on it, so I wonder if maybe your setting aren't correct?

with either ending (or even without the ending) it still shows as a broken image in the forum:

Mike
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 13:46

Tas, 

Imgur states it is free, however, when I went to register, they want 15.00 Usd  per year ..

Image is difficult to maneuver for " non techies "  .. I am registered but it is not a simple way of getting the post to FOTW .. It is easy to upload ..  

Google:   I am uncertain this is the best alternative ..  They are in legal litigation as they owe alot of money to the National  Government ..

I believe there must be  alternative solutions. 

I am in favor of being able to upload a foto direct from my computer or cell Tablet to FOTW ..  THE FOTW PHOTO UPLOAD IS TURNED OFF ..   We all have this option when we post a récipe or a topic to discuss ..  But because this option to upload is turned off,  we cannot use it  ! 

Could you speak to your Webmaster and see what he or she would charge to renovate this option on FOTW ?

I am sure, that the members would consider sharing equally the cost to do so .. How much could this cost ?  It is not a big job by no means ..  It is a few minutes of a Computer Technician Programmer´s  time ..  

It is   a simple way of not  dealing with exterior suppliers ..  So it is cost effective and feasible .. 

And simple for non techies .. 

Have a lovely evening ..

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2017 at 02:32
All of my pics have now been restored, and it only took a minute.
there is an add-on for google chrome or fire3fox entitled "photobucketfix"
add it to your browser, and presto! all pics come back.
Go ahead...play with your food!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic