Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Balkans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Romanian mititei

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romanian mititei
    Posted: 05 October 2017 at 18:37
October is Halloween month.  I always try new recipes from that corner of the world Hollywood has targeted as particularly spooky.  Romania, the Romanian region called Transylvania, and Hungary.  Transylvania has been a part of Hungary from time to time and this historical fact has not been lost on Hollywood. Let's not forget the spooky shroud covering Gypsies.  Please excuse the props.  

Romanian mititei are small (mititei translates as "small ones") heavily spiced and garlicky skinless sausages served with good mustard and sometimes fries.  They are also eaten in oval rolls topped with pickled or grilled red onions and roasted or grilled bell peppers.  There are many recipes but the addition of baking soda seems to be an ingredient in all of them.

Spooky Romanian Mititei served with mustard and air fryer fries

For dessert, lizard eye lollypops  :D

There are many recipes for Mititei.  Here are three. I used a combination of #1 and #2.

Mititei #1 

Mittei #2 - https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mititei-Grilled-Sausages

Mittei #3 - https://food52.com/recipes/12296-mititei-spicy-garlicky-grilled-sausages

Boo!

Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2017 at 09:15
Excellent idea (Romanian recipes for October) and outstanding work, gMan. I love the plating!

Mititei is something that I have long wanted to try, and there's no excuse for how long it has taken me. I'll see if I can correct that, soon!

Thanks for psoitng - great job!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2017 at 10:07
Those look really good! I might have to try this if I can clear some time in my schedule soon
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2017 at 15:30

Absolutely fabulous ..

I was in  Bucharest,  Brasov,  Transylvania and the high mountain forest passage of Castle  Braun, built in 1377 ..   (March 2016 and September 2016) ..  

Amazing truly.

The pastrama and the stuffed cabbage  were incredible ..

I wrote an article (shortened versiĆ³n ) on FOTW in the Romanian Section. Of course, due to the Photo  Bucket issues with photographs, I lost the photographs ..  However, I do have the photographs on PDF ..  

Have a lovely weekend ..    

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 19:46
An old Bukovina recipe I recently found

2 pounds ground Beef. The beef should have a high fat content,    the fat drips away during grilling. 1/2 teaspoon Salt 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Pepper 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda 2 Garlic  Cloves minced through garlic press 1/4 teaspoon ground Allspice 1/2 teaspoon dried Summer Savory (Cimbru) 1/2 cup of Soda Water (sparkling water)

Combine all ingredients. Add the soda water and work the water into the meat mixture.  Shape into sausages about 1 inch thick and about 3 inches long.  Cover and refrigerate overnight . Grill over very hot coals, turning often until nicely browned on the outside but still having a slightly pink interior.
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic