Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Crab Soufflés

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crab SoufflĂ©s
    Posted: 24 October 2017 at 09:37
I'm not sure if the American SouthEast is the best place to put this, but it seems be a Delmarva-type of dish, with a touch of France. If anyone has any suggestions for a better forum, let me know.

Either way, it looks great, and I intend to try it; however, I'd be tempted to double it and bake it in one dish.

Quote Crab Soufflés

Individual soufflés with sweet and tender crab make a deliciously impressive brunch or dinner entrée.

To serve four:

Unsalted butter for greasing
2 (6 ounce) cans lump crabmeat, drained
7 large egg yolks
1/4 cup whole milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1.5 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
4 ounces whipped cream cheese
1/4 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
5 large egg whites

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease four (6 ounce) ramekins with butter; place on a shallow baking sheet and set aside.

2. Place crab, egg yolks, milk, salt, pepper, cayenne, tarragon, cream cheese and Asiago cheese in a medium bowl; stir to combine.

3. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.

4. Place crab mixture into egg whites and fold together gently with a rubber spatula until just barely combined. Spoon into ramekins.

5. Bake ramekins on a small baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top and poufy in the center. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

https://chickenofthesea.com/recipes/crab-souffles
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 10:23
Dishes like this do work better if done in single-serving portions, Ron. Making it as a casserole tends to overcook them, on one hand, and they often don't rise, as well. So stick with the ramekins or other, similar, dishes.

A bain marie (water bath) helps promote even cooking.

Do not, repeat not, open the oven door while they cook. That's a sure-fire way of getting them to fall. They'll also start to fall once you take them out of the oven, so the trick is to have everyone seated at the table, and then bring them out.

Keep in mind, too, that soufflés are, at base, egg dishes that are flavored with cheeses and other goodies.

Here’s one variation on the theme, from Andrea Froncello and Jennifer Jeffrey’s Crab: Buying-Cooking-Cracking:

Crab-Corn Soufflé

3 tbls unsalted butter
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
ÂĽ tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp black pepper
1 ½ cups milk
3-4 tbls finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
2 ½ tbls minced shallot
½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
8 oz crabmeat
½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar
½ cup shredded Mozzarella
½ tsp red pepper flakes
6 large eggs, separated

Preheat oven to 375F.

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until it foams. Stir in the flour, nutmeg, and ½ teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and uniform. Gradually whisk in the milk in a slow, thin steam. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove the béchamel sauce from the heat.

Generously butter one 8-cup soufflé dish or six 1-cup ramekins. Dust the inside with the grated cheese to create a light coating. Invert and tap lightly to remove excess.

In a large skillet, melt the remaining tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Stir in the corn kernels, crabmeat, béchamel sauce, balance of the Cheddar and Mozzarella, pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and the remaining teaspoon pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon to evenly combine the ingredients. Cook until the cheese has melted, about 6 minutes, stirring once or twice. Pour the mixture into a large bowl. Whisking constantly, add the egg yolks one by one and beat the mixture until light and frothy.

In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and the remaining salt until stiff, glossy peaks form. Stir one fourth of the egg whites into the crab mixture. Gently fold in one-third of the remaining whites at a time until blended. Pour into the soufflé dish, leaving ½ inch of space at the top to allow for expansion, or divide among the ramekins.

Bake the ramekins for 20-25 minutes or the large soufflé dish for 30-35 minutes until risen and golden brown. When you press the top with our finger, it should bounce back lightly, with a bit of wiggle in the middle. Do not open the oven door during the first 20 minutes of cooking, otherwise the soufflé will fall.

Bring the soufflés directly to the table for maximum visual effect. Serve immediately.

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 11:01
Another one that looks really good, Brook - thanks!

I see what you mean about the individual dishes, too - I got to thinking that considering the cooking time and temperature, one large mass might not be good. I'm not sure if we have any ramekins, but I'll check; I imagine that muffin tins might work almost as well.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 15:48
Or pudding cups, if you have them.

Note: Glass/ceramic heats differently than metal. So your cooking time might be affected if you use muffin tins.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 15:54
>>>Glass/ceramic heats differently than metal. So your cooking time might be affected if you use muffin tins.<<<

That makes sense - I'll see what I can borrow; ironically, I just turned down the opportunity to buy some small cazuelas from La Tienda that would probably have worked perfectly; however, I figured I would never use them.

The ramekins that we do have are actually hard plastic (yes, I know - I will say 10 Hail Brooks in contrition.... )
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic