Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Hunting and Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Weidmanns Heil, Roger!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weidmanns Heil, Roger!
    Posted: 13 November 2017 at 09:21
My youngest son, Roger, filled his tag on 12 November 2017; after some good, old-fashioned, hard hunting, he brought down this mule deer doe:

This deer was taken southwest of Chinook, Montana on private land. This is his third deer since he began hunting three years ago, and by coincidence, this doe was taken just a stone's throw from where he shot his first deer.

Roger used my CZ M550 in 7x57mm; the pill was a 145-grain Speer HotCore loaded with IMR 4064.

The thing I love about this kid is that he hunts and hunts hard. He hunted harder for this doe for than a lot of people hunt for a buck.

Weidmanns Heil, Roger!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:17
Congrats Roger!
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:26
Thanks, Mike!

Here's a little more information about the hunt:

The past two years, he has used my Marlin M336 .30/30, but this year he wanted to try this rifle. One trip to the range gave him a LOT of confidence; this was a 1-shot kill at about 200 yards, give or take 25 yards.

The bullet appears to have entered right below the shoulder bone, breaking that; from there it ripped through her lungs and I believe exited between a couple of ribs. I'll check for sure, later. She ran for about a hundred yards with two other deer, limping badly, and then went into a small draw; a few seconds later, he saw three deer run out, but one wasn't limping, so we deduced that she went down in the draw and that another deer was in there that ran out with the first two. We hiked over to check it out and sure enough, there she was, piled up right on the edge of the draw.

I am very proud of this young man because he hunts like he means it, every time, and he is dedicated to learning more about hunting every chance he gets. Even though he is in his turbulent teenage years and we have trouble relating to each other or getting along sometimes, we have this tradition and love for hunting in common, and that will last a lifetime.

Just as importantly, he is quite the student of what to do after the deer is down. He takes very good care of the carcass, and we age it for 10 days or so (thank goodness we live in the latitude that we do) before butchering and cutting. He knows how to trim the meat well, portion and package it so that it will last for years in the freezer, if necessary...but, it usually isn't necessary, because we love to cook it, too, and are always trying different things. This time, he saved several of the organs and even wanted to caul fat for a couple of recipes.

As you have heard me say many times, our family is German, originating in the Rhine valley, and we've tried to keep a few traditions from there alive. I'm very grateful to a friend in Stuttgart, who helped re-acquaint me with many of those traditions. One of them that you can see in the phot is called "the last bite," given from the hunter to the prey as a token of gratitude and respect. Another is the greeting, "Weidmanns heil!" This has many meanings, including, "Good luck in the hunt" or "Congratulations on a successful hunt!"
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 08:43

Phenomenal photography !  My how  Roger has grown .. I recall a photograph of  Roger at approx. age 10 and he was creating some science fair projects in YOUR kitchen !!!!!!!

I recall the humor of your amazing description of the experiments  !!!!

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic