Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Germany
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

pork and kraut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pork and kraut
    Posted: 19 November 2017 at 11:07
Margi's post seeking recipes for duck reminded me of my time among Czech-descended folks in Nebraska. The old ladies at the Legion Club would present two traditional dishes--roast pork and roast duck. Both of these meats are by nature quite fatty, and the ladies preparation was nearly the same for both: roast with sauerkraut, serve with gravy and potato dumplings. Growing up as 100% German-American, I was quite familiar with the idea of combining kraut with fatty meats--sausage, pork shoulder, pork ribs, etc. Can anybody explain what happens in these dishes? Is it the acidity of the kraut that breaks down fat and makes the combination into something entirely different? whatever is going on, I think it is one of the best flavors around.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 14:43
Tom,

Firstly, I have French  Roast Duckling récipes from my maternal family and I have never eaten sauer kraut with duck ..

Normally, it is extraordinarily traditional  French, and L´ Orange or with fruits, and lightly stuffed with a savoury and dried fruit filling.

In reference to Cabbage the base ingredient of Kraut, and a wild duckling, I am aware that there are several acidic fruits and vegetables which break down fats and White Wine & Lemons or Oranges do as well ..  However, I am not a biologist .. 

Just wanted to try a new duckling récipe however, I shall probably go with a lovely family récipe as it is tried and true ..  

Have a nice holiday and a healthy new year ahead ..  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 16:34
My wife and I grew up with pork roast, potatoes, and kraut (many times with sausage thrown in) in Indiana, we're both from German families.  I don't know what happens to the kraut but it does indeed transform into something special when slow roasted with fatty pork.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic