Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Almejas Las Pocholas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almejas Las Pocholas
    Posted: 11 February 2018 at 02:52
I'll be making this delightful tapa for a light supper this evening, along with some garlic bread.

Almejas Las Pocholas

Clams in green sauce

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp minced onion

4 cloves garlic, minced

4 tsp flour

¼ cup dry white wine

½ cup fish broth or clam juice

2 Tbsp milk

½ cup fresh parsley, minced

kosher salt

fresh ground pepper

2 dozen littleneck or Manilla clams, cleaned

Heat the oil in a cazuela or heavy pot and wilt the onions.

Add the garlic and flour and cook for a minute or two.

Gradually add the wine, broth and milk, and stir in the parsley, salt and pepper.

Cook, stirring constantly until thickened and smooth.

Add the clams and cook, covered over low heat removing the clams as they open.

Return clams to pot and make sure they are covered with sauce.

Serve with garlic bread, or crusty rolls

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

gunhaus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunhaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 07:28
I would comment - but I have to get to the store and buy the ingredients for this - RIGHT now! 
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 11:26
This looks great, Dave - let us know how it turns out!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 02:41
This dish was exactly what I expected it to be....lovely with the garlic coming through strong but not overpowering. I think the trick to this dish is the fact that you thicken the sauce before adding the main ingredient....quite unusual in my experience, but the clams exude just enough moisture to maintain a wonderful thick sauce. Perfect to mop up with garlic bread, or a crusty roll.
Go ahead...play with your food!
gunhaus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunhaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 05:17
I think about every sea side culture has a similar take on garlic clams - but this is one of the best i have tried! I agree about the pre-thickened sauce really giving this dish "something" Plus the sheer simplicity is wonderful. I am going to try a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes on the next batch - And there WILL be a next batch. I may give it a go with some mussels this week as well. Thanks for posting this!

-John
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 10:06
Dave - this one sounds absolutely wonderful; your description with the garlic and the sauce really make it sound like something that needs to be tried!

With Lent coming up, I do believe we will be giving this a go, even though my frozen clams will be nowhere near as nice as your fresh ones.

Thanks for sharing this one with us!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 15:53
Dave,

This is heaven on earth and surely dignifed for the Gods and Goddesses of the Sea ..

Amazingly stunning dish and yes, with Lent ´s  arrival, fresh clams are sitting on ice, just waiting for me to be bought ..

Definitely on the bucket list for preparation ..

This is a sublime, exquisite sauce and quite popular with a couple of variations depending on autonomous región here in España ..  

All my best for a wonderful, healthy and successful New Year 2018 ..  

Thank you for posting .. 
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic