Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Tools of the Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Is anyone going to talk me out of this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is anyone going to talk me out of this?
    Posted: 16 February 2018 at 13:03
I don't really need it, but I do think it might be interesting to play with:

http://a.co/ciUMbZW

I can also see it possibly being useful for brewing, during the mash process.

But...the price!

Talk me out of it, guys ~~~

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 14:01
Sorry, can't talk you out of it. Been eyeing one myself, for the same reasons. Just waiting for enough 'spending cash' to magically appear in my account to get one. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 15:33
I own an Anova One SV circulator.  The predecessor of the model you are looking at.   I barely use it at all.  I did when it first arrived but the magic went out of it pretty quick.  For me anyway.  My family hasn't been a big fan either. 

A friend of mine is selling one of these for $50.00 plus shipping.  He has COPD and so uses SV quite a bit.  It was given to him as a gift but he already owns 2 SV units so wants to get rid of it.  If you, or anyone else is interested lemme know and I'll put you in contact with him

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 15:41
That's tempting - actually, it is even more tempting than the Anova that I originally posted about, because this looks like it would be easier to use for brewing (which is where my main interest in SV is).
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gunhaus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunhaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 16:29
Ron,
A very wise old friend of mine once said," NEVER let money you don't have stand in the way of buying crap you don't need!" Words to live by my friend!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 19:25
Aw, just go for it, Ron. And don't forget the container, and the hinged lid, and the.......
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 09:42
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

And don't forget the container, and the hinged lid, and the.......

This is why gMan's idea looks to be pretty good to me. I might dabble in the Sous Vide cooking a bit, to see what I can learn; but right now, my primary interest would be in holding a constant mash temperature for brewing beer, and this looks to my amateur eye as though it would be perfect for that. My brewing is one or at the most 2 gallons at a time, so 6 quarts looks to be just the right size. I brewed two 1-gallon batches of beer over the weekend (an American Pale Ale and an English Pale Ale), and - as always - the single biggest challenge and time-consumer was holding a constant mash temperature. If I can resolve that issue for 50.00, and experiment with a whole new cooking technique to boot, it would be money well-spent, I think.

Graco - if I remember correctly, you have some experience with home-brewing; do you think that this would be good in that regard?
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 10:37
You don't need any of that extra stuff should you decide to go with an Anova.  It works very well in a pot of water insulated by wrapping with a towel.  I use a beach towel that is large enough to go around the pot twice.  As for evaporation, just cover the pot top with a sheet of aluminum foil followed by a sheet of plastic wrap.  Cover that with part of the beach towel. 

This set up is for long cooks which can last from several hours and up to three days.  Insulation saves electricity and keeps evaporation to a minimum.  If you use the plastic covered foil top method there isn't enough evaporation to worry about.

Keep in mind the Anova is a circulator. The water, or in your case mash, will be moving around quite a bit. This water movement is a big plus when SV'ing meat or veggies sealed in plastic bags, or better yet, vac packed with a vacuum sealer but may present a problem with a mash.  A SV "oven" may be a better choice for this as I believe the mash will remain still, at a constant temp, and there will be no chance of grains or hops clogging up a circulator. 

My Anova, the older model, circulates water by means of a small propeller that spins at the bottom of the unit.  The flow of water can be directed by positioning a movable outlet hole.  I assume this is the same way the newer units work but I don't know that. 

I also assume SV Ovens stil operate the way they did when I first looked into this.  That is, there is a warming plate that heats water from the bottom up.  The entire unit should come be well insulated.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 12:46
Your thoughts on the Hamilton-Beach unit are pretty much in line with what I was thinking. I did a little reading into using the Anova, and it didn't seem like a good option.

I'll probably be taking advantage of your friend's offer, if he still has it available in a couple of weeks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic