Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fats, Oils, Sauces, Sweets and Condiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

'catsup' or 'ketchup?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'catsup' or 'ketchup?
    Posted: 30 April 2010 at 12:57
just a difference in spelling, probably a regional thing?

or is there an actual difference?
Sponsored Links

Fire it up View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fire it up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 15:30
Far as I know the only difference is the name.

Taken from The American Heritage Dictionary:

The word ketchup exemplifies the types of modifications that can take place in borrowing—both of words and substances. The source of our word ketchup may be the Malay word kechap, possibly taken into Malay from the Cantonese dialect of Chinese. Kechap, like ketchup, was a sauce, but one without tomatoes; rather, it contained fish brine, herbs, and spices. Sailors seem to have brought the sauce to Europe, where it was made with locally available ingredients such as the juice of mushrooms or walnuts. At some unknown point, when the juice of tomatoes was first used, ketchup as we know it was born. But it is important to realize that in the 18th and 19th centuries ketchup was a generic term for sauces whose only common ingredient was vinegar. The word is first recorded in English in 1690 in the form catchup, in 1711 in the form ketchup, and in 1730 in the form catsup. All three spelling variants of this foreign borrowing remain current.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 05:18
Thanks for the research, Jim. Either spelling- it is too sweet to me, so I go easy on it. It is tasty, though.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 07:48
excellent research, jim! i knew there was a malaysian ur-ketchup, but didn't know how closely it was related or what the line of development was, if any.

great job at finding the answers to the question!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 03:47

Ketchup, catsup, doesnt matter to me. What does matter to me is the fact that the biggest producers are no longer manufacturing a product that I care to use. More and more I've found that once a bottle is opened I have to remember to shake up the bottle before I use it again or all I'll get on my hamburger is some runny watery tomato juice. What happened to "Anticipation"?

And what about the flavor? Barely ripe tomato flavored vinegar? Thanks, but no thanks. I grew up on ketchup that tasted like somebody put a nice big sweet thick slice of sun ripened tomato right out of the garden onto your burger.
 Well, what it all comes down to for me is that I find a better product in the dollar stores where they carry ketchup put out by smaller companies that seem to care more about flavor than volume. I guess it's that same old story we've heard in regards to so many of the things in our lives, when quantity goes up quality goes down.

Turn off rant.Smile
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 03:53

pH Solids Pectin Bostwick Price* Recommended Hunt's Ketchup

This "cherry red" ketchup scored the highest for both taste and texture and was the overall winner. Tasters praised the "inviting, smooth" texture and "tangy," "fresh" flavor. Some commented that this "well-balanced" sample tasted "exactly as it should."

3.82 33.76% 4939 mg/kg 2 minutes, 30 seconds $1.69 for 24 ounces Recommended Heinz Organic Ketchup

Tasters liked the "vinegary tang" of this organic sample. "Color and texture are perfect," wrote one taster. The consistency was praised as "not too heavy," while comments on the taste ranged from "tastes like ball-park ketchup" to "nice sweet/tart balance.

3.82 31.7% 4640 mg/kg 1 minute, 50 seconds $1.99 for 15 ounces Recommended Annie's Naturals Organic Ketchup

This ketchup (sweetened with sugar rather than the usual corn syrup) received solid scores for taste, texture, and color. Tasters liked the "rich, hearty, and tangy flavor," but while some found it to have "just the perfect balance," others detected "odd smoky" notes. For texture, it was "not perfectly smooth but good."

3.81 32.43% 4696 mg/kg 56 seconds $3.69 for 24 ounces Recommended with Reservations Del Monte Ketchup

Tasters were neither thrilled nor offended by this ketchup, giving it average marks in all categories. One taster called it "nothing out of the ordinary," while another said, "a little sweet but no big deal." Others described it as "a little watery," "a little sour," and "a little cooked.

3.65 32.12% 4966 mg/kg 1 minute, 10 seconds $1.39 for 24 ounces Recommended with Reservations Heinz Ketchup

The standard bearer fell to the middle of the pack in our taste tests, losing points for being "bland" and "too sweet." Tasters were more positive about its "fry-dipping texture" and "smooth," "thick" consistency. Overall assessment: "unremarkable."

3.84 32.54% 4875 mg/kg 50 seconds $1.69 for 24 ounce Recommended with Reservations Muir Glen Organic Ketchup

Tasters who liked "untraditional" ketchup singled out Muir Glen for its "nice texture," but others found the texture "too pasty" and "way too thick." While some were put off by the abundance of "warm, cinnamon" spices, others enjoyed the "pleasant" flavor and said it "goes great with fries."

4.01 29.93% 3978 mg/kg 10 minutes, 4 seconds $3.49 for 24 ounces Not Recommended World's Best Ketchup

The most "un-ketchup-like ketchup" in our tasting. Its "chunky" texture made one taster ask, "Did I just wander into the salsa tasting?" Many said it was "too sweet," and our pH test showed that it was the least acidic ketchup in the lineup.

4.29 19.46% 4347 mg/kg 1 minute $2.99 for 10 ounces Not Recommended Westbrae Natural Fruit Sweetened Ketchup

This brand, sweetened with fruit juice concentrate, provoked strong negative comments. "No, no, no!" wrote one taster. Another described it as a "molasses and tomato train wreck." While many compared it to "bland" tomato paste, others found it "sour" and "too vinegary." One taster simply asked, "Why?"

4.15 25.92% 7210 mg/kg 8 minutes, 9 seconds $2.39 for 14 ounces

Go ahead...play with your food!
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 01:46
Anyone got an awesome ketchup recipe to share? I've got 16kg of tomatoes looking for a home. I should say at this point that I hate pretty much all the commercial ones... like heinz and so on. I want something with that awesome homemade flavour, so when I pull it out in mid winter, I get a taste of fresh tomatos... especially If I'm making that much of it! Any help appreciated.
kai time!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 03:48
Here's one for you Richard...it's from the Ball Blue Book of home canning. I have not made this recipe myself but have made many from this book and have never been steered wrong yet.
In looking at it...the only addition I might make would be some Worcestershire sauce, but having not made it..perhaps it would be wiser to go with the original recipe the first time.

Tomato Ketchup
This is the original recipe from Ball's Blue Book of home canning

Makes 3 pints

4 quarts tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped (about 24 large)
   1 cup onions, chopped
   1/2 cup sweet red peppers, chopped
   1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
   1 teaspoon whole allspice
   1 teaspoon mustard seeds
   1 stick cinnamon
   1 cup sugar
   1 tablespoon salt
   1 tablespoon paprika
   1 1/2 cups vinegar

Combine tomatoes, onion and pepper in a large saucepot and cook until tomatoes are tender.
puree using a food processor or food mill.
Cook the puree rapidly until it thickens and reduces by one half.
Tie the whole spices in cheesecloth or a spicebag. Add spicebag, sugar, salt,and paprika to tomato mixture.
Simmer 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vinegar, simmer until thick.
As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.
Remove the spice bag. Ladel hot kethcup into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headsspace.
Adjust the caps and process ten minutes in a boiling water bath.

Recipe formatted with the Cook'n Menu Planning Software from DVO Enterprises.

Go ahead...play with your food!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic