Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Central Europe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Hrudka (Veľkonočné Syr) Starej Mamy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keroche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2014 at 16:45
I like the idea of extra vanilla or fried in butter with cinnamon for breakfast.....sounds like an update from the old world to the 21st century  :)

K. E. Roche'
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2014 at 16:50
Hi, Keroche, and thank you for the kind words! Star

Welcome to the Foods of the World Forums - please feel free to make yourself at home. Look around, jump into any conversation that strikes your fancy - or start your own. If you have any questions, please ask - and if you have anything to share, please do so!

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2014 at 22:07
Here's our 2014 Easter Cheese (hrudka):

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 02:28
looks yummy 
Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 17:46
It was! I had a couple of slices for breakfast this morning.

I as going to try a savory Easter cheese this year, but the dozen eggs i bought for it were "mysteriously" dropped and broken somewhere between the car and the refrigerator.... Ouch
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 04:42
Got mine done yesterday, but I can see already that I'm going to have to make a second batch, lol.

I did change the recipe slightly. Being that I'm diabetic I changed up from sugar to the artificial sweetener "Stevia" with good results.

Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 06:22
I just saw the above and I was struck by the beauty and shine.

I will produce some on Friday for the Easter Brunch we are attending this weekend.

I cannot help but think that even with sugar and vanilla that this will taste exceedingly Eggy. But there will be some Old School Hungarians in attendance and I hope that this would be somewhat familiar to them.

I will post a pictorial when I make this again in May/June with Pheasant eggs. My friend has a shooting preserve and raises his own pheasants, but only has capacity for 800 eggs in his incubators which are tied up for approx. 3 weeks to hatch. There is a window once the incubators are full and before he can reload them in 3 weeks time that he has no home for the eggs and I selflessly offer my assistance.

Before I bought my cheese press, I often struggled with cheesecloth and trying to tie tight bundles that would actually help express the whey.

So I raided Mrs. Percebe's Quilting stash for the heavy clips she uses in securing her quilt fabric for basting.

Easy to apply and reposition.

I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 17:13
Not at all familiar with cheesemaking, but eggs in cheese just sounds wrong to me, not unappetizing or anything, just totally unexpected. Is it as unusual as it seems to me?
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 18:46
Hey, guys - 

Bill, your Easter cheese looks great! I just showed this to The Beautiful Mrs. Tas, who gave it her approval. We will also be giving it a try with Stevia (or something similar) this year, so I am grateful for your experimentation!

Murray, I think you will like this, and I'm eager to hear how it works with pheasant eggs. Looking forward to your report!

Tom - the name "Easter Cheese" might be something of a misnomer, but this is a true Slovak/Hungarian tradition, a celebration of the end of Lent as well as a delicious treat. Technically, it is probably more of a custard or something, but my wife's grandmother called it Easter Cheese, so we call it Easter Cheese. Smile
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 19:00
Originally posted by Tom Kurth Tom Kurth wrote:

Not at all familiar with cheesemaking, but eggs in cheese just sounds wrong to me, not unappetizing or anything, just totally unexpected. Is it as unusual as it seems to me?

I am by nature a skeptic.
But I will take it on faith that this produces a beloved result.

I think I understand the wisdom- religious implications aside

By nature cheese making has low yields in relation to the milk. Essentially 10% depending on quite a few factors-Some recipes yield more and some less.

So 1 liter of milk would generally only produce 100 grams of cheese.

But the addition of 1 dozen large eggs would increase the yield by approximately 700 grams -12 x 60 grams

I am excited to produce this recipe on Saturday and will know then.
Thecueman View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thecueman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 10:39
Tried this for the first time.  Most thought the mouth feel was too custardy.  The whey was very sweet and went into a waffle mix very nicely.
Simply Al
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 23:30
Mmmmm!
Missed Easter, but the pagan in me says "thats fine, do it at Beltane." So I have diaried to make this at the end of winter with the first of the spring milk and eggs. Spring grass milk is different in flavour and characteristics.
Grumpo has happily agreed to us having a house cow this coming spring! So I will have the best organic whole milk to work with.
Thanks for drawing this to my attention - I may have to have a wee practice ahead of time - you know? To see that I do the milk justice Wink
Resident Peasant
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 13:48
uploads/706/pegs.JPGMaple Pheasant Egg Easter Cheese

Finally made it out to the Pheasant Farm.

I dropped off sausages and some Drunken Cherries made from my MIL's tree with some Vilmos.
In exchange I brought home 15 doz Pheasant Eggs
Followed the recipe with the addition of 2 Tsp Maple Powder.
Eggs increased to 2 doz due to size

Because I want to gift this cheese back to the farm, I decided to use my Mad Millie Cheese Press for a cleaner presentation.
Weight is adjustable so I applied 3 kg of force and will increase once it cools and not risk driving out the fat.

Pics won't postAngry
Dang Windows 10 and Edge

DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 13:04
I just finished a batch and hanged it up to drain.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 09:16
We made 5 batches this year, including one for our pastor, one for my parents, and one for the Beautiful Ms. Tas to take to share at work. It turned out really well, and I am glad to know that our four sons know how to make it and will be passing the tradition on. Our niece, who is also has Slavic roots on her father's side, will also be learning to make it, soon.

Murray, I didn't get the chance to say this before, but great job! It looks incredible and I like your presentation as well as your addition of maple. Did you get the chance to try it?

To all - please feel free to try this, if you haven't already, and share your experiences.

Happy Easter to all -

Ron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2019 at 13:49
It's that time of year again - back to the top!

If anyone has any questions, do let me know. Easter just isn't the same without Easter Cheese ~
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2019 at 14:45

Wonderful if you wish to tackle ..  

I avoid cow milk as I am lactose intolerant .. (no cow milk, no icecream and no yogurt).  All three are a no no ..  

So I will stick to fresh goat cheese or Burrata di Bufala !! or sheep cheese or very aged cow cheese such as Reggiano Parmigiano.  

Enjoy and have a lovely holiday ahead. 
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic