Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The British Isles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Traditional English Shepherds Pie.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traditional English Shepherds Pie.
    Posted: 25 April 2018 at 08:25
Very nice photo!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 03:21
Absolutely beautiful stuff there Rose.....nectar of the gods as far as I'm concerned! I would opt for the lamb version myself. When I was last on your side of the pond I ate lamb every day (sometimes twice). Bangers and mashed was another staple, usually for lunch.

Keep up the good work....we love seeing itThumbs Up
Go ahead...play with your food!
English Rose View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 11:36
So sorry, forgot to put photos on.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 11:23
Well, I am in love with this!

The Beautiful Mrs. Tas has expressed a recent desire for Cottage Pie (We have always just called it "Hamburger Pie," because that's how it was labeled on the recipe that she first made); it is the first dish that she made for us as a family, and it brings a lot of sentimental, happy memories for both of us. When we make it, we will give yours a try!

Thank you for sharing this, and please, don't ever worry about flogging a recipe or dish to death - that's what we live for, here! The more perspective, the better ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
English Rose View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 11:09

Hi, there's no stopping me now.LOL. Talking about my mum with Sausage Rolls and not taking enough notice of her great pastry skills, One thing I did note and have followed all these years, was her way of making a Shepherds Pie and/or Cottage Pie (Both identical except as you probably already know, Shepherds Pie is made with minced Lamb and Cottage Pie is made with minced Beef (or ground as Americans know it).Throughout the years of course, I have added such as the wine to accommodate modern tastebuds, but hey, mum's always tasted divine, of course being a child my tastebuds were much more advanced than they are now. Smile

Apologies to all if this recipe has been flogged to death on here but I will still share this absolutely delicious English inspired dish that is another number one favourite with Brits. So much so that for our weekly adult family get together at each other's homes (all my siblings live close by)  when it's my turn I am confident enough to  make two huge dishes of Shepherd Pie or Cottage Pie and serve it on its own, accompanied only with crusty French Bread and Butter and of course copious glasses of Champagne or Sparkling Wine. (Hic!)  It is always very popular and most  of my brothers always look for a second helping, LOL.

Now over the years, this recipe has been a mix of my mum's recipe, some from online and some my clever cook SIL showed me many years ago. Most people here have their own way of making Cottage/Shepherds Pie by adding their own ingredients, but  I promise you, if you use all the ingredients mentioned below and follow the recipe, you won't go wrong and you will have a delicious Cottage or Shepherds Pie that others will love. I usually just serve it with crusty bread and butter. It really doesn't need anything else. (unless you want to make a gravy, but if you do, you will not appreciate the lovely taste inside of that pie!.

This is for one casserole dish of Cottage Pie or Shepherds Pie.

Preheat oven to 180C - 350F - Fan 160C - Gas 4.

COTTAGE PIE (ground beef) or SHEPHERDS PIE (ground lamb) RECIPE (this will easily serve 6 people)

INGREDIENTS

2lb of ground beef (Cottage) or 2lb of ground  lamb (Shepherds) 

2 and a half pounds of potatoes cut into biggish chunks

2 tablespoons of Olive Oil (or vegetable/sunflower oil)

1 large onion, grated or chopped very finely

1 large carrot grated or chopped very finely

4 tablespoons of garden peas

2 cloves of Garlic grated (if substituting with garlic salt or garlic flakes, use 1/2 teaspoon for each clove. If ground garlic use 1/8 teaspoon for each clove)

2 tablespoons of Worcester Sauce

1 and a 1/2 tablespoons of tomato puree or paste  

2 fresh sprigs of Thyme (or as I use, 1 teaspoon of dried Thyme)

1 fresh sprig of Rosemary (or as I use, 1 teaspoon of dried Rosemary)

1 cup of Red Wine (hic!)

1 cup of Chicken Stock

2 egg yolks (beaten)

3/4 of a cup of Milk (to use as needed when mashing the potatoes)

4 tablespoons of butter

6 tablespoons of grated Parmesan Cheese or grated Cheddar Cheese

Salt and Pepper

METHOD.

First, boil or steam your potatoes in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes from boiling point) drain and put back on to a low heat to dry out for 2 minutes. Start mashing, add  seasoning, the egg yolks, butter, milk (as you need) and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan Cheese or Cheddar cheese. Continue to mash until no lumps. Do not over mash to creamy though as it will be too soft for the mash topping. Just mash until no lumps left.

Usually, when doing a shepherds/cottage pie, I use up any half left vegetables to go in with the mashed potatoes, i.e. swede, turnip, cabbage, sprouts, chopped spring onions, (in fact any veg that can be used, just cut them up small so they cook at same time as potatoes. I bung swede or turnips in with the potatoes to cook and I steam the cabbage or sprouts, Spring Onions I chop up very finely and just add to the mash at the end before putting in oven. It's entirely up to you.  I find that I need to put cut up swede on for 10 minutes longer than the potatoes to ensure they nice and soft (nothing worse than finding lumps in the mash!). as long as they all tender and ready to be mashed with the potato mash.

Using a frying pan, first season the ground beef or lamb and fry in the oil over a moderate to high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until it is browned, (best to do in two batches and put onto a plate). Once all browned,   turn the heat back down to a nice medium heat, pop the ground meat back into the frying pan and stir in the grated onion, carrot and garlic, stirring all the time for about 2/3 minutes.

Now add the Worcester sauce, Tomato paste and herbs, stirring all the time for about 2/3 minutes.

Next, stir in the Red Wine,  keep stirring as you let it all reduce until it has practically evaporated.

Now sprinkle on the Garden peas. and stir them in gently for one minute.

Next, add the Chicken Stock. Bring it to the boil then let it simmer away until it thickens. Season to taste.

Spoon the mixture into a large ovenproof dish and let it cool for 5 minutes.

Using a large spoon, spoon the Mash over the top of the mixture. It's best to do this in spoonfuls all over before spreading it out all over the top and corners, starting at the outside and working the mash into the centre.

Now once you have done this, using the prongs of a fork, fluff up the mash making small peaks, add the remaining Parmesan or Cheddar Cheese by sprinking it over the top. (I also cut up thick slices from a beef tomato and lay them around the top of the mash). It looks yummy when cooked.

Pop the casserole dish into the preheated oven and let it cook on 180 for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. (personally, I prefer to put it into the oven at about 170 for 50 minutes to ensure lovely and golden on the top and piping hot in the mixture).

TIP: To test whether mixture is hot enough underneath that golden potato, pop a fork into the dish so it reaches right through the mixture, count to 15 and if the fork is piping hot when you withdraw it, IT'S DONE!. If fork prongs only warm,  place a piece of foil over the top, blast the oven up to about 200 and let  pie cook for another 5/10 minutes or so. 

Hope you enjoy this dish if you try it. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic