Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Brother John's Rice Pliaf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brother John's Rice Pliaf
    Posted: 01 May 2010 at 05:13

My kid brother's tried and true pilaf recipe....the best I've ever had

2 cups rice
   1/4 cup pignoli, or slivered almonds
   Extra virgin olive oil
   1/2 cup onions, chopped
   1 cup sliced mushrooms
   1 clove minced garlic
   1/4 cup currants
   1/2 teaspoon thyme
   1/2 teaspoon coriander
   1 teaspoon summer savory
   Salt and pepper to taste
   4 cups chicken broth
   Fresh dill

In a large dry pan, lightly toast the rice and pignoli. Remove rice and pignoli from pan to medium bowl. Return pan to heat and add olive oil, onion, garlic and mushrooms and saute' until onions are translucent, then add rice and pignoli back to pan.

Add currants, and remaining spices (except dill) , cook another minute or so and add the chicken stock.

Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until moisture is absorbed.

Fluff pilaf with a fork, add some butter or finishing oil if desired, and top with chopped fresh dill.

NOTE: taste before adding salt...the chicken broth is usually salty enough.

Goes great with kebabs 

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

John View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 21:25
I made this today with Quinoa instead of rice.  The quino toasts up nicely and imparts a very nutty flavor (post toasting).  Pepare the same as the rice pilaf except toast the pignolias (I actually used almonds this time) seperatley or first as the quinoa is like coarse sand and the nuts tend to "float" on the quinoa and would not get toasted well if done together.

If you are not familiar with quinoa, here is a little bit about it (excerpted from Wikipedia):

Quinoa is from Peru and was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations. This crop is now highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%).  Also, unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods.   It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop by NASA's for long-duration manned spaceflights.

Here is a link to the full article

Brother John
John H. - Utah
(life is too short to drink cheap wine)
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 03:18
What a great, informative post...I guess I've heard the word quinoa before, but never actually knew what it was specifically.
Thanks for another informative post.....how did it come out texturally John, compared to long grain rice?
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 07:04
this is wonderful information! thanks for posting!
John View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 20:44
Hoser asked about texture.  The quinoa is similar to couscous in size and texture but is a natural grain instead of a pasta.  If you do not adjust proportions, you get a vegetable dish (onions and mushrooms) with the grain as an additive instead of rice with the vegetables as an additive.  I liked the vegetable emphasis with the grain being the "extra".  I had a plate of mushrooms and onions with a bit of grain and enjoyed this.  Frankly I used only 2/3 cup of grain (cooking for two) but still used LOTS of mushrooms and onions.   If this turns you off, cut the vegeteables in half.  I was pleasantly appreciative of a vegetagle based dish with the grain as the adjunct.  I thought it worked quite well though admit most people would probably prefer a higher proportin of grain.  I served this with a marinated pork roast that is my wife's creation and is to die for.  Thnis will be the subject of a future submission.  My wife's pork roast is the reason that we are still married!
John H. - Utah
John View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 20:46
hoser will validate the fact that my wife's pork roast is intoxicating!
John H. - Utah
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 02:33
Originally posted by John John wrote:

hoser will validate the fact that my wife's pork roast is intoxicating!
Hoser most certainly will...I've had it many times, and it is "off the charts"Thumbs Up
Her saurerbraten is even better than that! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic