Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The British Isles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

CLASSIC SUMMER DESSERT - ETON MESS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CLASSIC SUMMER DESSERT - ETON MESS
    Posted: 30 April 2018 at 10:14

Roll on Summer!  My favourite time of the year. I’ve already jet-washed the deck, brought the table and chairs out from under their cover in the shed, given them a wash as well, The love-seat has been spruced up and the parasol is just waiting to be raised, ready for this lady to be able to sit under it, feet up on another chair, great book in one hand, a Gin & Tonic with Ice and a Slice in the other! SIGH! All I need now is the bloomin weather.

One of the things I especially look forward to are the family Barbecues that take place. We, as a family, don’t really go to the pubs here in the UK anymore. We leave that to the kids nowadays (18 yrs old to drink)  As I have 6 brothers and they all live locally,plus my own 6 Gorillas and their families. (At the last count there were 62 family members just on my side alone!) Thank goodness I am married to a Londoner, all his family are way down South, too far to come to our family barbies. LOL. There would be no room!

Now, no way would I ever attempt to presume that the Brits hold better barbecues than Americans, Australians, or anybody fortunate to live in other lovely hot countries where you are bathed in almost year round sunshine, (One only has to see the size of those steaks you slap onto the griddle when watching our television screens, It makes our Sausages, Burgers etc seem very insignificant in comparison. But…….I thought there may be one or two dishes that you may not have heard of, or perhaps never tried, which I personally love doing or taking along to our family get-togethers in the Summer. One of which seems to be a favourite with the Men and Boys, It’s a bit calorie-laden for the women and stick-thin granddaughters and nieces. (although, truth be told, I still see them sticking a spoon into the dishes that the men/boys are holding).

So, if you would like to try this dessert, here below is the recipe. I originally got the recipe 4 years ago from an article in one of our daily papers, The Telegraph, by Leah Hyslop, and ever since, is the one I swear by as my favourite when making it.

CLASSIC ENGLISH SUMMER DISH - ETON MESS.

Legend has it that Eton Mess was invented when a over-excited dog accidentally crushed a meringue dessert being taken to Eton College for a picnic.

Whether or not this canine story is true, this delicious jumble of soft whipped cream, chewy meringue and ripe Strawberries are an absolute delight for dessert

Hope you enjoy this if you try it.

YOU WILL NEED: (to make 4)

You can imagine how many I have to do!)  LOL. Thank goodness it’s easy.

450 grams Strawberries, quartered

1 Tablespoon Caster Sugar

4 shop bought meringue nests - broken up  (or make your own - see below)

400ml Double (heavy) Cream - lightly whipped.

METHOD

Whip the cream with the sugar until softly whipped. Don’t over-whip it though, you do not want stiff peaks.

Break the meringues into pieces and fold into the cream.

Put half of the Strawberries into a bowl. Crush gently with a fork or back of spoon so some of the juices are released. Mix into the cream and meringue mixture.

Divide the mixture into individual sundae glasses or a large trifle bowl if you prefer.

Put the remaining Strawberries on top as a garnish. Wallah, it’s that easy.

ETON MESS  3 OTHER VARIATIONS.

Peach, Pistachio and Honey Eton Mess -  Replace the strawberries with two ripe peaches sliced up, Top these with a sprinkling of Pistachio nuts and a drizzle of Honey

Tropical Eton Mess -  Instead of Strawberries, pop in the flesh of two ripe Mangoes (cut up into bite size pieces, and the pulp of 3 x passionfruits.

Chocolate and Cherry Eton Mess -  Instead of Strawberries, use a punnet of Cherries (de-stoned and halved), Stir in 2 x Brownies crumbled into pieces. Scatter some toasted almonds on top (if you have them).

MAKING YOUR OWN MERINGUE

2 Egg Whites

100 grams Caster Sugar

Preheat your oven to 120 / 250 / gas ½ .

Line a baking sheet with greaseproof (parchment) paper

Put the egg whites into a clean dry bowl and whisk until it forms stiff peaks. Add the sugar a spoonful at a time and continue to whisk until the mixture is shiny and thick.

With a dessert spoon, spoon globs of the mixture onto the baking tray leaving space between them. You should make about 6.

Put the tray into the centre of the oven and bake untouched for 90 minutes to 2 hours.(until the meringues are crisp on the top and come away easily from the baking paper

Leave them to cool completely.

You could for a change, put a tablespoon of strong expresso or cocoa powder into the mix to make a flavoured meringue.

Enjoy
Live Life every day as though it is your last.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 15:47
As to the steaks, keep in mind that the U.S. is, traditionally, a beef-centric nation. And, as a race, Americans believe that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Hence the oversized portions.

Not everyone devours those huge hunks of beef. Friend Wife and I, when we make, say, a rib eye (the only steak worth eating, imo), find that one of them is enough for both of us, with enough left over to make a lunch or salad.

One technical issue. Bringing us back to the use of our not-so-common language, barbecuing is a low and slow process. Food is cooked, usually with the addition of smoke, over low heat. Grilling is fast cooking over high heat.

Those are the differences in English, at any rate. Nobody is really sure what the Aussies speak.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
English Rose View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 04:55
Morning HF. Oh dear, this difference between English and American English can be very confusing can't it? we say we are having a barbecue so put the burgers on the grill and griddle when used. Yes we also say grill bacon under the grill on our indoor cooker. DOH!

Just out of curiosity, and nothing whatsoever to do with cooking, I have always been puzzled by the following. It took me ages to accept that the person who informed me was not joking.

Here in the UK, We have our ground floor. where we walk in and out of of front and back door. Our first floor is up the stairs to the bedroom.
In America, apparently your ground floor is known as the first floor ????? so what is up the stairs to your bedroom floor called? really intrigued.

Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 05:11
LOL,HF, Just "grilled" 4 identical of these bacon rolls for the 2 of my Gorillas who happened to pop in just in time for breakfast this morning. 
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 15:41
In private homes, the ground floor and the first floor tend to be used interchangeably. Because most American homes had no more than two (or, sometimes, 2 1/2) floors, we tend to call the second floor "upstairs."

In apartment (flat) buildings, the usual practice was to call the entry level the ground floor, and the one above that the first floor.

In short, we even confuse ourselves.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 16:29
In Spain:

Ground floor =  La planta Baja ( at the bottom )

1st floor =  one goes up 1 flight of stairs or if lazy,  takes an elevator if the building has one ..  La Primera Planta ..  the 1st floor ..  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 16:33

Since I am lactose intolerant to industrialised cow milk (not cow milk from a cow on a farm ), this dessert is a definite no due to the cream ..  

Nice .. Enjoy it ..  

Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 05:33
Morning HF, LOL, thanks for the explanation re the floors. My eyes were spinning by the time I finished reading it.

Morning Margi. I once made an alternative to the above dish for a boyfriend of one of my nieces who was lactose intolerant.  I served him a dish of the above by using half a cup of coconut milk and half a cup of canola oil. It tasted nice and had the same consistency as double cream.
(It must have been fine because he was still dancing away to the music 3 hours later without any ill-effects).

Or perhaps you could substitute the cream with Greek Yoghurt?

Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 05:36
Margi, We do have loads of Lactose Intolerant goodies on the shop shelves here, but my goodness, they are expensive! which I think is terribly unfair to those like yourself .
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:58
Rose,

Greek Yogurt ( the majority of exported ) is made with cow milk so no way ..  

I have a Greek friend  who distributes Greek Yogurt made with goat and sheep cheese however, in all honesty, I was born without a sweet tooth as we say ..

Coconut & oils other than Evoo Bio  are not my cup of tea ..

Enjoy your desserts ..  I thought it was pretty however, not my cup of tea ..  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic