Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The British Isles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Ham or Gammon joint in Coca Cola

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ham or Gammon joint in Coca Cola
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 13:07

Definitely the correct word for this beautiful dish!  Has anyone ever tried this fantastic way of cooking a Ham joint. And……………….it’s all thanks to your American Coca Cola! You clever things. I’m sure if any of you have seen this recipe by Nigella Lawson, you must have made it at least once, how could you not!!  but maybe there are one or two on here who haven’t. Please, please do so, it is one of the very best recipes I have ever followed. The Ham joint turned out Sweet, Tender, and cut like Butter. The last time I made it was Christmas Eve. I was so confident it would turn out beautifully as this was the second time I had cooked it.

I had ten family members for Christmas Lunch, it went down a treat. (so much so, I was wondering what to put in he who must obey and my sandwich next day as I had planned to use it cold. Luckily I had bought a large enough joint of Ham.

A couple of my DIL’s were really amused when I told them what it had been cooked in, but  they absolutely loved it, as well I knew they would. (more converts!) LOL.

So, here then is the recipe for Ham in Coca Cola.

2kg Mild-Cured Ham or Gammon Joint (large thick, round piece of Ham or Gammon)

1 large Onion, cut in half

2 Litres Coca Cola (do not attempt to use Diet Coke or any other flavour Coca Cola)

FOR THE GLAZE

Hand full of Cloves

1 heaped Tablespoon Treacle (molasses)

2 Teaspoons English Mustard

2 Tablespoons Demerara Sugar (light brown cane sugar)

Here, when buying a mild-cured piece of Ham or Gammon, it doesn’t require any soaking as it doesn’t contain much salt at all. But if your joint of Ham/Gammon is a little salty, then simply add some cold water in a large saucepan (enough to cover the Ham/Gammon) bring to the boil and then tip the Ham/Gammon and water into a colander and start from then.

Put the Ham/Gammon into a large saucepan or pan, skin side down, put in the onion halves in and then follow on by pouring the 2 litres of Coca Cola over it.

Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat so it gives it a good simmer.  Put the Lid on, but not tightly, and simmer for just under 2.½ hours. (if your Ham/Gammon is larger or smaller work on 1 hour per kg). Remember that it will get a quick blast in the oven later, also, if you have taken the Ham/Gammon straight out of the fridge, you will need to cook it for a further 15 minutes so the interior is properly cooked.

In the meantime, Preheat the oven to 240C Gas 9 (or as high as you can, my own oven only reaches 230C but it cooked fine).

When the Ham/Gammon has had it’s cooking time, it is cooked, take it out of the pan and allow it to cool enough for easy handling. Now remove the Skin, leaving a thin layer of fat, score the thin layer of fat into diamond shapes with a sharp knife and stick a clove into each diamond shape. (Confession time, personally I cannot stand cloves so did not bother). But it does look very attractive with the cloves if you wish to impress family or guests.

Now carefully spread the treacle (molasses) all over, taking care not to dislodge the cloves.

Next, gently pat the sugar and mustard over the treacle (molasses) Cook in a aluminium foil lined oven pan for 10 minutes or until it is burnished and bubbling.

Allow to stand for 15 minutes. Tuck in to absolute Heaven!

Live Life every day as though it is your last.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 15:36
Rose, I'm assuming the mustard is dry mustard, such as Coleman's?
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
English Rose View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 05:41
Hi HF. Most definitely Colman's dry mustard if you are able to buy it there. It's preferable as it is a "hot" mustard  and it finishes it off with just the right flavour. coating.

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:51
Rose, you are the third Briton who has recommended Coca-Cola Ham to me, so I have no choice - I must try it!

I will use your recipe, and let you know how it goes ~ thank you!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 15:35
Coleman's is readily available in the States, Rose. I always keep a tin of it on hand, despite the fact I make most of my mustards from scratch.

Fact is, nothing quite compares to the Coleman's for certain applications.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 18:42
Ham cooked in Coca-Cola is also popular in parts of the South; noteably Alabama---where they claim to have invented it. Uh, huh!
English Rose View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 04:55
Hi TasunkaWitco, Good on you I promise, you will love it. The other great liquid that is popular is Cider (hard cider you call it?) If and when you do try this dish, please would you let me know what you thought of it?

Hi HF, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this dish was first invented in Alabama. After all, you invented Coca Cola! and I am sure Southern folk would be the first to experiment with it. Clever people. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic