Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Africa > North Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Lamb Tagine (Tajine)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lamb Tagine (Tajine)
    Posted: 02 October 2018 at 09:56
This easy and delicious-looking tagine (also called tajine was recently shared by a friend in Europe.

Quote Let’s cook Moroccan style!

Yesterday I made this tagine of lamb shoulder with artichokes and couscous. Turned out incredibly well, even though I used canned (whaaaaat????) Spanish artichokes.

You may forgive me for never writing down more measurements, I cook à l’improviste - but there’s really nothing complicated about this.

Brown thick slices of lamb shoulder on all sides in oil. S&P. Get rid of all that fat.

Put another bit of oil (or use a little remaining fat from the meat) in the same pan and gently sweat (lots of) onion, garlic, celery and carrot, all cut in not-too-small parts.

After a good 5 minutes, add a teaspoon of ginger powder, a good pinch of cumin seeds, a few all spice berries and a teaspoon of ras el hanout. Let fry some more minutes. Add a tablespoon of tomato concentrate and harissa). Let fry some more.

Add the meat, a sprig of rosemary and a bay leaf. Heat some chicken stock, or like I do, water plus chicken stock paste in a small pot. Add stock to the meat until no more than halfway under.

Put the lid on an let simmer for at least 2 hours or until meat is tender. Turn the meat just once after an hour. Do not stack the meat, the pieces have to be side buy side. Use a larger pan with lid (or aluminium foil) if necessary.

Add canned artichoke hearts, cut in two from top to bottom. Let warm through in the preparation.

Meanwhile, prepare some (pre-cooked) couscous; sprinkle 1 part couscous in the same part chicken stock. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes. Add a small chunk of good butter and a bit of the pale celery leaves cut from the center part of the celery. Loosen the couscous using a fork.

Delicious!

Notes:

If you want, you can substitute the artichokes with cooked white or other beans like chickpeas etc.

If you do not have harissa paste, you can substitute with sriracha. The only things missing in sriracha is caraway and coriander.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic