Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Tools of the Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Re-outfitting "Dream Camp Kitchen?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 22:14
Karl,

That Hobart is all you'll need for any mixing chores. It is, in fact, what the Kitchen Aids are based on.

What you have is one of the smaller commercial mixers. I don't know, exactly, what the capacity is. But the motor is strong enough to mix anything you can fit in the bowl. in terms of dough.

If it doesn't have a dough hook, I recommend you bite the bullet and can one for it. I can't quite make out what the tool behind the unit is, but I suspect it is, indeed, the hook.  A paddle would be a useful tool, but, for the dry ingredients at least, that whisk will serve. 

I'm concerned about the double sink, though. In most locales, health regulations require a triple sink in a commercial kitchen. Check with the local board of health to see what's required.

In a normal procedure, all three are used. The first sink holds the cleaning compound plus water. Second is a rinse tub. And the third holds sanitizer. 

For commercial food handling, cookware has to be air dried, and you might want to look into racks for that purpose.  Their are other nuances, and at least one person should have a food-safety certificate. ServeSafe is, in most jurisdictions, the certifying organization, and you might want to check out their website. 
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 16:32
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Karl, re: the KitchenAid, it depends on the model. They can all mix dough, but the model type determines how much at one time. Among those three tools, the paddle and hook are what are used for dough making. The paddle is for initial mixing of ingredients, and the dough hook---well, the name says sit all. 

KA rates them by the number of cups of flour. But those figures are, shall we say, optomistic at best. KA says, for instance, that my Pro 6 model can handle up to 12 cups of flour. Realistically, anything more than 8 puts a decided strain on the motor.  

For your purposes, I would consider the Pro 7. It ain't cheap. But, if you're making bread for a crowd, you need the capacity. 

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/uploads/202/mixer.jpg
This is mixer already there.  I did not think to see how big the bowl is or if the data plate says what size it is.  I do not recall a dough hook but I didn't dig that deeply. 
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 22:08
Karl, re: the KitchenAid, it depends on the model. They can all mix dough, but the model type determines how much at one time. Among those three tools, the paddle and hook are what are used for dough making. The paddle is for initial mixing of ingredients, and the dough hook---well, the name says sit all. 

KA rates them by the number of cups of flour. But those figures are, shall we say, optomistic at best. KA says, for instance, that my Pro 6 model can handle up to 12 cups of flour. Realistically, anything more than 8 puts a decided strain on the motor.  

For your purposes, I would consider the Pro 7. It ain't cheap. But, if you're making bread for a crowd, you need the capacity. 
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 21:22
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 21:15
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 13:52
IF I ever get home for a waking minute I'll post some pictures.  This is really a visual project. 

I am on the same sheet of music about more historical cookware like cast iron.  Maybe, someday, even a clay oven.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0foHjPVbP4  There is a large outdoor pavilion right outside and it has two very large charcoal style grills (maybe 6'x6') but the bottoms are rusted through and need thicker replacements. 

However, any potential wedding or other mundane renters, caterers, and even SCA cooks would probably appreciate regular stainless and aluminum cookware.   If there is a good, cheap, restaurant supplier near St. Louis I could not find them.   I found some grilling utensils which are "good enough for now." 

Image result for commercial mixer
There is a mixer like this but I have never used one.....  Can these knead dough? 
Image result for commercial dishwasher
The dishwasher looks pretty much like this one. 
Image result for commercial stove
The stove is similar to this but only has 4 burners and the grill needs some serious scrubbing. 

https://www.acacamps.org/resource-library/state-laws-regulations/state-regulations-missouri

What do regular people eat at wedding receptions?  What cook books and other reference books should be there? 

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 12:03
Good point - if we're talking large groups, then "living history" might not be very practical.

Another option: check with some restaurants in the area; they might sell off equipment as they get new stuff. Not ideal but it could be a huge money saver, if that is a priority.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 09:02
While Ron's idea has merit, most of the scout camps or other camps I've ever been to the chow hall is run like a restaurant, so the guest wouldn't see the cookware anyway.

Do you have a restaurant supply type company close? If so, I'd go there and see what you can find.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 08:49
This looks like a great opportunity to put some of your historical skills to work!

Brook probably knows much more about this than I do, but if I were in your shoes I'd try to get as many things as I could that would "do for now" and then slowly work in plans to convert to something rustic and historical; Dutch ovens, spiders etc. If there's a blacksmith in the area, you could probably get some really nice pieces made.

I might be getting a little carried away with the idea, but it's something to think about. People often want to travel back in time a little when they are camping.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 18:15
Short version of the story is that my family accidentally and unexpectedly re-inherited a large family farm turned into a scout camp in Missouri.  It was badly neglected and is very distressed but has an exceptional commercial style kitchen and large hall.  Walk in and standing freezers, grain grinder, gas grill, dishwasher, mixer, deli slicer, etc.......
Many of the pots, pans, utensils, and stuff that could easily walk off have.  I found a few large aluminum pans hidden and misused around the property but it needs restocked.  The water lines were allowed to freeze so new lines need buried (deeper) to the kitchen (and shower house). 
I'll try to post a few pictures soon.
2 groups are fairly excited about renting the camp and one (SCA) has a trailer full of their own cooking gear.  Both groups have lost other sites recently and want to rent as early as this November.

What all would you recommend restocking with and where are the best prices? 

Aluminum pots?  Cast Iron?  Stainless?  Utensils?  How big?  https://www.agrisupply.com/cast-iron-cooking-supplies-utensils-kitchen-accessories/c/6200000/pgnum/1/  ? 

I went shopping and to some auctions on my recent visit but found surprisingly little cookware let alone big cookware.  It was really a treat working on the old farm-turned-camp and I am excited about getting it up and running.  My sister is living there and doing most of the work.  Her rough plan is to turn it into a wedding/event venue since those seem to rent well in that area.  These groups wanting to rent it is just a bit of a windfall since they are looking for more rustic sites than most weddings or Church retreats might want. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic