Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Topics > The Veranda
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

International travelers...help! (220 to 110)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: International travelers...help! (220 to 110)
    Posted: 12 October 2018 at 10:05
The Beautiful Mrs Tas and I will be travelling to Australia next week; we won a very nice trip there through a promotion at her work, and are very much looking forward to it.

I'm looking for travel adapter/converter that will allow us to charge our phones, plug in any small devices etc; would something like these be adequate?

http://a.co/d/2DzNaUG

http://a.co/d/fS1c8mk

http://a.co/d/96zMGjW

http://a.co/d/aMooF57

http://a.co/d/aYMjCcg

Any advice in this would be helpful; the last time I was overseas, I was a baby, and didn't have to think about things like this.

Thank you -

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 10:46
I ended up ordering this one:

http://a.co/d/9FUDHqC

We'll see if I made a wise choice!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 10:55
Ron,

in essence any of those would work. You really only need a 220V -> 110V AC transformer with the correct Australian plug (or a converter for the plug). I would caution against ones with "universal" plug adapters that you have to move levers or switches as they often break or don't make good contact.

I would also try to verify it has UL / CE certifications, this can be especially important when buying off of Amazon as a lot of the stuff on there is Chinese imports and they are less than truthful with that kind of thing. I don't like to take chances when it comes to something like this that could easily cause a fire if not built properly, not to mention damage whatever is plugged into it.

As far as how many watts/amps you need, if you're only charging small electronics and not trying to run a hair dryer or something like that you should be fine with just about any size transformer. Most phones use less than 5 watts to charge. Which is only 0.04 amps at 110V.  Now if you're taking a laptop, check your charger on that, as they can often draw up to 100 watts (which is still only 1 amp at 110v) but on the flip side a lot of laptop chargers and the like can handle the 220v directly which would mean you'd only need a plug adapter. Basically anything with a big black box on the cord already has a transformer in it and can possibly handle the higher voltage already.

Now if you are planning on running a hair dryer which is typically around 1500 watts, you'll need a pretty substantial transformer that can provide 15 amps.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 11:22
Very good thoughts, Mike - thank you.

I'm not seeing UL, but they seem to advertise just about every other letter of the alphabet in "Safety Certifications" - the one I ordered is certified by NRTL, TÜV and SÜD, which I am guessing/hoping are along the same lines as UL.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 11:43
I checked the TÜV SÜD website and it does indeed have a valid certificate from them (U8 15 06 92399 001, if you want to look it up) so that's good. :)  And yes, they are similar to UL here in the US.

Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures for us!
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 11:49
I'll do my best on that front - taking photos is easy...weeding through them all, that's the chore!

Thanks for the advice, Mike - I'll double-check the specs on her laptop when I get home tonight, but it looks like this will do the trick pretty nicely. I think we'll only be charging phones and one laptop.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 16:48
WOW ..  Yes, what an amazing trip ..

Sydney is an incredible city !  The Opera House is quite impressive ..  

All my best wishes for a wonderful, healthy and  enjoyable trip abroad ..  

The Japanese cuisine in Sydney is quite amazing ..  

Melbourne is better known for Italian and Greek ..  

How many days  ?  12 - 15  ?

Please do take some good photographs  !!  

Happy 2nd Honeymoon  !!!!!  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic