Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Hungary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Stretch Potatoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stretch Potatoes
    Posted: 03 May 2010 at 16:51
 Sorry I cant give the Hungarian name for this dish, but I only know it as Krumpli which is the Hungarian word for potato.
 As to the history, it's pretty simple. My grandparents did a lot of entertaining and quite often visitors would pop in shortly before dinner was served. Fitting two more people at the table was easy enough, and thanks to this easy side dish the meal itself was stretched to fill a couple of more mouths.

Stretch Potatoes

1 large onion
 Bacon fat
 6-8 large potatoes

This recipe is no more difficult than making home fries, uses the same ingredients, and tastes totally different.
 Start by chopping the onion up fine and putting it in the frying pan with some bacon fat. they're going to be cooked only until they are clear.
 The potatoes get peeled and cut into bite sized pieces and then put into boiling water just as if you were making mashed potatoes.
 When the potatoes are fork tender they're done. Drain them and put them into a serving dish. Add the onion and fold it in with a fork until evenly distributed. It's up to you as to how much of the bacon fat stayed in the pan and how much made it into the potatoes with the onion.Wink
 That's it! Sprinkle on a little paprika to give it some color and take it to the dinner table!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 17:00
i love it! hungarian home cooking at its best! this is one that looks to be easy and mouthwatering at the same time!

question: when folding the onion into the potatoes, do you want to get the potatoes "mashed" a bit (or a lot), or should they stay in their cut-up form?

looking forward to giving this one a try ~ it looks like it would make a great side dish for borsos tokany!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 18:24
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

question: when folding the onion into the potatoes, do you want to get the potatoes "mashed" a bit (or a lot), or should they stay in their cut-up form?

A little difficult to explain consistency but look at it this way, you cant possibly cut potatoes into exactly equal portions. Some pieces will be smaller than others just because of the potato's shape. consequently what will happen is that when you fork test the potatoes to see if they're done you'll find the larger pieces just getting to the point where they're easily chewed up while the smaller pieces will be a bit overcooked. When you fold in the onion you'll end up with a nice 50/50 mix.
 (To phrase it another way that a guy can understand, think of a good driveway mix with everything from crushed stone dust up to 3/4-1"-LOL)

Also, you're right, it'll go well with a good beef dish, but there's really no reason not to put it beside a pork roast or even a piece of venison. Incidently, the beverage of chioce for a meal like this would be Egri Bikavér also known as Bull's Blood, which is a full bodied red wine.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 20:35
Originally posted by DIYASUB DIYASUB wrote:

A little difficult to explain consistency but look at it this way, you cant possibly cut potatoes into exactly equal portions. Some pieces will be smaller than others just because of the potato's shape. consequently what will happen is that when you fork test the potatoes to see if they're done you'll find the larger pieces just getting to the point where they're easily chewed up while the smaller pieces will be a bit overcooked. When you fold in the onion you'll end up with a nice 50/50 mix.
 (To phrase it another way that a guy can understand, think of a good driveway mix with everything from crushed stone dust up to 3/4-1"-LOL)

gotcha - i know exactly what you mean and that's what i had in mind - just wanted to make sure ~

will be giving this a go with our next home meal, i think! thanks for posting!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 19:40
SOMEBODY made these for supper tonight - will he 'fess up?

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 21:35
LOL, you're right Ron, somebody did have a fine hungarian dinner tonite.
The potatoes dont object to being reheated as some foods do, so I made them earlier in the day.
Around 3:00PM I fired up the grill using just six charcoal briquettes. When they were going well I put the Kolbasz on as far away from the fire as possible and added a couple of thumb sized pieces of Maple wood, and closed the lid. We had torrential rains yesterday, so the wood was wet and smoldered like a mattress on fire.
I kept the fire going by adding just one or two briquettes at a time now and then, and did the same with more Maple to keep the smoking process going.
About two hours later the Kolbasz had the color I was hoping for so I moved it directly over the coals and added a bit of dry wood to raise the temperature and complete the cooking phase.
When I make my own Kolbasz I trim the majority of the fat off the meat so I end up with a lean product, as you can see in the picture. Consequently, when I actually do the cooking I can just wait until it sweats that little bit of grease thats left and I know it's cooked thoroughly.
When the Kolbasz was done the potatoes were reheated, everything was plated, and the rest is history.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 23:13
Sounds great to me! Ths is one I kept intending to try, but forgot all about. With fall/winter coming, it's defnitely back on the list!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2014 at 10:56
Love the analogy; Driveway mix!!!

Looks like a nice quick way to make potatoes. I'll have to try it sometime.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 11:45

SOMEBODY made these for supper tonight - will he 'fess up?

Wow, Ron, it only took you 4 yrs, LOL!

It's a good thing this post came up again!  I'm working the 6pm to 6am shift tonight & tomorrow. This is the perfect thing to take to work.

I've got some Debrecini Kolbasz on the smoker now, and am about to start the potatoes.
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2014 at 15:01
Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

Love the analogy; Driveway mix!!!

Looks like a nice quick way to make potatoes. I'll have to try it sometime.

LOL, sometimes a descriptive phrase makes the point better than any picture can.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2014 at 15:42
They were tasty. The onion and bacon fat made a huge difference. Nice and filling.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2014 at 20:44
Quote Wow, Ron, it only took you 4 yrs, LOL!

Unfortunately, I'm ashamed to say it's going to take a little longer ~ that photo there is Bill's! Shocked

My time IS coming, though - especially considering that Montana had her first snow this past weekend.....
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 18:57
Originally posted by DIYASUB DIYASUB wrote:

Sorry I cant give the Hungarian name for this dish, but I only know it as Krumpli which is the Hungarian word for potato.
 As to the history, it's pretty simple. My grandparents did a lot of entertaining and quite often visitors would pop in shortly before dinner was served. Fitting two more people at the table was easy enough, and thanks to this easy side dish the meal itself was stretched to fill a couple of more mouths.

Stretch Potatoes

1 large onion

Bacon fat

6-8 large potatoes

This recipe is no more difficult than making home fries, uses the same ingredients, and tastes totally different.

Start by chopping the onion up fine and putting it in the frying pan with some bacon fat. they're going to be cooked only until they are clear.

The potatoes get peeled and cut into bite sized pieces and then put into boiling water just as if you were making mashed potatoes.

When the potatoes are fork tender they're done. Drain them and put them into a serving dish. Add the onion and fold it in with a fork until evenly distributed. It's up to you as to how much of the bacon fat stayed in the pan and how much made it into the potatoes with the onion.Wink

That's it! Sprinkle on a little paprika to give it some color and take it to the dinner table!

This is a deceptive dish to name properly and has been bothering me for days. I had to consult my 82 year old Hungarian mother-in-law.

When I look at the name "Stretch Potatoes" it reminded me of an old Heritage dish called Dodele. But Dodele was a wartime/tough times dish where flour, fat and onions were stirred into the pot of potatoes and the cooking water to extend the dish and capture the available nutrition. The added flour would absorb the cooking water and make a savoury porridge. It translates more closely to "Potato Mush"

The dish pictured more closely resembles Krumpli Dinszteld which is when the drained potatoes are mixed with the onions and fat.

It any event, it looks absolutely delicious
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 11:08
It was delicious. Give it a try when you get the chance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic