Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sausage Gravy with Biscuits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exploreralpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sausage Gravy with Biscuits
    Posted: 04 May 2010 at 20:00
I wanted a good southern breakfast this morning, so I made biscuits and gravy. I'm cooking for a large family, so adjust as necessary....

The first task, obviously, is to brown the sausage (2 pounds), then add one cup of flour. This is important, don't drain any of the fat from the sausage, and once that flour is added it, mix it around until it disappears...

Now it's time for the milk, it is going to take quite a bit. After adding the milk, mix it, and keep the heat just above medium, once the flour accepts the milk and it gets really thick, it's time to add more milk - the flour with the sausage will absorb a lot of milk.

You will keep stirring (the biscuits cooked while I was cooking the gravy, it all came out at the same time, it takes some time, be patient), and then you spice it, white and red pepper flakes, I like the Watkins variety....

And consume, with gusto...

Aaron
Sponsored Links

mgwerks View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgwerks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 23:05
Now THAT's good eatin!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 03:26
Ambrosia my man!...food of the GodsClap
Go ahead...play with your food!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 04:21
 No reason not to make it for dinner. I've done it many times and found it to be quite satisfying!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 09:05
hey, aaron - thanks for taking the time to post the method! i've been meaning to try this for a while and just haven't been able to lately, so i am glad that you posted it.

everything sounds wonderful and is exactly the way i would also do it. i plan on trying this soon with sourdough biscuits, if i have any luck getting the starter going.

great job!

ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
daniel77 View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 20:10
aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

now that's comfort food
If what you're serving comes on a cracker, you'd better have a lot of it.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2019 at 09:48
Since learning to make this as Aaron describes, I've "evolved" a "routine" and "procedure" that works pretty well. Now that there are fewer of us in the house, I've also cut the "recipe" in half.

I'm putting it down here, since my kids like it and might want to make it someday when I'm not around.

Quote Biscuits and Gravy

1 pound of your favourite breakfast sausage
1 onion, chopped*
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed*
1 tablespoon chicken-flavoured Better Than Bouillon*
1/2 to 3/4 stick of butter, as needed
1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour, as needed
Milk, as needed
Salt and pepper, to taste
A few red chili flakes and/or a bit of sage or parsley, as you choose*
2 cans of biscuits, or make them from scratch

* Optional

Crumble or cut up the sausage, brown it in a 9- or 10.25-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the sausage is nearly done, add the onions and cook until the onions begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more, then add the butter and Better Than Bouillon.

Stir the mixture until the butter is melted, then add the flour. Stir the mixture some more, taking care not to let the flour stick or burn to the bottom of the skillet. When the sausage us well-coated with the flour/butter mixture and the roux starts to brown, add enough milk to nearly fill the pan.

Stir the gravy often while bringing it nearly to a boil. When it starts to bubble, reduce the heat and continue to cook the gravy, stirring often to keep it off the bottom of the skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste, along with any other herb or spice you choose; be generous with the pepper. Continue simmering the gravy until it is at the desired thickness, then serve over split biscuits and enjoy.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic