Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Meats, Fish and Eggs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Lard-wrapped scallops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lard-wrapped scallops
    Posted: 12 February 2019 at 04:01
Sometimes I made some culinary 'odd' combo. Well, this lard-wrapped scallops appetizer, didn't disappoint me.

www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 05:32
Sounds really good. 

Although lard has fallen into disrepute because the healthy-food fanatics lobbied against it, nothing provides the depth of flavor and richness that it does. 

In the U.S., what you call lard slices are called lardo, to differentiate it from regular lard, which would merely melt in the pan.  

Lardo is difficult to obtain in most places. But, in a pinch, pork belly would served the same function.

Thanks for posting.

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
MyPinchofItaly.co.uk View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 06:52
Thank you for your comment.
I did not know that lard had fallen 'out of use', and it is a pity because it is a tasty product - obviously to be used in small quantities even in these parts.
I think I was also wrong to name the recipe, what I was referring to are the lardo bacon-like slices of bacon.
Thanks also for the warning!
www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 07:29
Fiorenza, you are absolutely correct about lard being a tasty product. And there are times where nothing substitutes. Pie crusts, for instance, are at their best when made with lard.

Unfortunately, the so-called healthy eating craze as seriously reduced, or even eliminated, many traditional products on American tables---particularly when it comes to fats and oils. Lard is one of them.  

I long ago concluded, however, that the health nuts change their minds so frequently that they really don't know what is, or is not, good for us.  So I tend to ignore them.  I cook with lard all the time, because there's nothing else I know of that brings that sort of flavor to a dish.  

I've looked at your site, and have only one comment: Please, continue doing what you're doing.  Your recipes all sound terrific.

And, keep on posting here.  You are an asset to Foods of the World.

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Wannabebwana View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 07:50
One of my favourite dishes in Ukraine is “Salo”. I think it’s their national dish.

It’s a cured pork fat that they serve with fresh garlic. Sliced thin, with a shot of vodka (Hrenohuva - horseradish vodka is my favourite) and it’s awesome.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 10:07
Fiorenza, this looks great! Thank you for sharing! I would love to try this but might have to substitute bacon or pancetta, simply because of availability of ingredients. This would make a nice dinner for Saint Valentine's Day, which is also our wedding anniversary.

Martin, I've heard a lot about Salo, and am simply going to have to give it a try, hopefully sooner rather than later. There is an excellent butcher shop not too far from my town, and I'll have to see if I can procure some of the correct fat from him. I'll do some research and start a new thread, when I move forward with it.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 10:25
You cheered me up today, thank you very much for your comment on my blog, my small project that I cultivate and carry on with conviction and affection. 
Back to lard, in Italy there are traditions related to it that will hardly be replaced or even eliminated, and thank God I would say. 
Sometimes I'm also confused with respect to
the use of certain ingredients, but the Mediterranean diet still holds the bank here and there is a trust now quite rooted, including me, so I consult it when I'm iffy. The concept is to eat a bit of everything, to know the product and also what kind of impact it can have on us, regardless of whether you like it or not. Balancing the quantities and alternating, is something I trust, because there is simple common sense.
Sometimes I have the impression that certain foods have suffered a kind of merciless and misleading fashion for the benefit of other foods that seem more fashionable and more chic.
But 'many' do not know that lard (fat for cooking) is present in many foods (referring to Italy, seadas, piadina, gnocco fritto) that many consider chic and divine. The road to divinity, however, sometimes passes through that of the clods of earth and of the runny fat.
'oh this piadina was delicious, light and tasty, with what was done?' 
'Pork lard'
OMG!
Sadness....
www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 10:29
I agree, 100%!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 10:29
Salo. I did not know it and Iìve taken note, thank you! It sounds like a really delicious thing.
Vodka with horseradish? Second thing marked.
Thank you
www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 10:38
Ron, I'm glad you like this recipe and I hope you can appreciate it both for Valentine's Day and for your Anniversary, how nice Thumbs Up
Of course I think that the bacon or pancetta replacement is perfect anyway! 
www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Wannabebwana View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 12:16
I just wandered over to your site.

Excellent!   
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 12:36
Wannabebwana 
Thank you so much! Tongue
www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic