Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Kababe Morgh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kababe Morgh
    Posted: 11 April 2019 at 10:40
Kababe Morgh
Persian Broiled Skewered Chicken

The full photo for this Persian dish was absolutely spectacular; unfortunately, it took up two pages in the book, and the split between those pages took away from the aesthetics - so you get half of the picture.

This dish is on my list as soon as I drag my Weber Kettle out of storage for spring; chances are that we will cut it in half, since we will probably only prepare one chicken, or the equivalent, but I expect it to be quite good.

A setting of Oriental opulence befits the most princely kebab of all, - Chelo Kebab. The dish consists of broiled meat and rice made rich with raw yolks and butter. This chelo kebab uses crisp pieces of chicken that were marinated in lemon juice, onion and salt before broiling.

From Time/Life's Foods of the World - Middle Eastern Cooking, 1969

Quote Kababe Morgh
Broiled Skewered Chicken

To serve 4:

1 cup finely-grated onion
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
2 two-pound chickens, each cut into 8 serving pieces
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/8 teaspoon ground saffron (or 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, pulverised with a mortar and pestle or the back of a spoon), dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water

In a stainless-steel, enameled or glass bowl, combine the onion, lemon juice and salt, stirring until they are thoroughly blended. Add the chicken and turn the pieces about with a spoon to coat them well. Marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours or in the refrigerator for 4 hours, turning the pieces over occasionally.

Light a layer of coals in a charcoal broiler and let them burn until a white ash appears on the surface, or pre-heat stove broiler to its highest point.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and string the pieces tightly on 4 long skewers, pressing them together firmly. If you are broiling the chicken in an oven, suspend the skewers side-by-side across the length of a large roasting pan deep enough to allow about 1 inch of space under the meat.

Stir the melted butter and dissolved saffron into the marinade and brush the chicken evenly on all sides with 2 or 3 tablespoons of the mixture. Broil about 3 inches from the heat for 10 to 15 minutes, turning the skewers occasionally and basting the chicken frequently with the remaining marinade. The chicken is done if the juices that trickle out are yellow rather than pink when a thigh is pierced with the point of a small, sharp knife.

Kababe Morgh is traditionally accompanied by Chelo (link below) and may be garnished, if you like, with tiny, whole cherry tomatoes.

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/chelo_topic5364.html

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 15:13

Yes, this is quite superbly splendidly  surely ..  

I have a Persian Basmati long grain  Rice  as well as Saffron.  

This is for Saturday ..   

Thank you ..  
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 15:15
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 05:39

Ron,

I  had prepared this Persian Chicken dish quite sometime ago.  It was truly splendid.

Good idea.  I shall copydown the ingredients and instructions again.

Thanks alot.  
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 18:21
Hi, Margi - 

Did you get the chance to try this agin? We'd love to hear about it, if so.

When things start thawing out in Northern Siberia Montana, it is my goal to try this easy and delicious-looking dish, although it will probably not be on skewers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic