Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Horse Meat NOT eaten in Spain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horse Meat NOT eaten in Spain
    Posted: 22 June 2019 at 13:38

According to the Department of Agricultural & Domestic Livestock, Ministry, horse meat is generally NOT eaten in Spain.

However, unfortunately the country exports live horses to France & Italy.

It is il-legal in the majority of countries as noted by CNN TV, which has also publicly broadcast, that dozens have been arrested for selling horses in bad health to France & Italy.

It is appalling in my view, and should be illegal and a criminal offense punishable by prison in my view point,  and surely it is  something I have never eaten, as I very rarely eat red meat at all. 

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Wannabebwana View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2019 at 14:12
I know in Canada they still slaughter horses. Most of the meat is sent to Japan, AFAIK.

However, having also been married to a horsewoman (they’re all crazy, IMHO, which I found out too late), I also know that there are a lot of “rescue” horses that are kept in bad conditions because they are beyond their useful riding career. And, frankly, having them processed into dog food after they die doesn’t really improve things.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2019 at 15:12

Wannabebwana,

It is truly a sensitive & horrendous  topic.  

I believe that most of us, relate to  Black Beauty,  Fury etcetra. and thus,  it is like eating a pet !

Wild deer ( venison ) is  different as it is hunted,  verses, ridden and a " pet " ..  Though many see Bambi and do not eat venison either ..  

I am sure, that not only horsewomen, but horsemen too are totally against the eating of horse meat. 

The other issue, are the wild  Mustangs, in the far west of North America,  that are tortured and tormented in tiny over crowded  barns,  waiting to be sold to slaughter houses.

Many colts are taken from their mothers too early and the death rate is enormous. 

The Japanese, are not the biggest meat eaters, as you are aware, they are the largest consumers of wild fish in the world.  

Perhaps they package it for pet food or zoos,  or sell it to other countries close to Japan.

Well, on to more pleasant topics.  

Have a lovely weekend and summer.  

Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2019 at 23:34
Horse meat is a delicacy in Japan. They even prefer fat horses which have foundered (laminitis).

However, I’ve also learned not to judge other cultures by their food choices. That’s what we’re celebrating here, right?

I recently made a trip to the territory of Nunavut, in Canada’s far north. The indigenous Inuit are appalled at factory farming, yet people here decry them for hunting and eating whale and cute seals. That is their culture, their survival. Yet they also love Kentucky Fried Chicken. It is the only fast-food chain restaurant in their capital city!

So, I will no more criticize Asian cultures for eating dog meat, than I will an Inuit for eating a cute seal or a Frenchman for eating horse meat or frogs legs. :)
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 04:15

Wannabebwana,

The industrialisation is where the issues are with me.  The horrendous treatment of the animals that are to be slaughtered .. 

We all make our own choices about what we choose to eat and not eat ..

You have brought out some excellent points especially regarding the Inuit Tribes .. 

Definitely makes quite a bit of sense.  

Since, here in Spain, all details of the products must be on the label, highly visually marked & the place.    The place, the contents, the added ingredients if any,  the status, wild or farm raised etcetra.  It is the law here .. 

Thank you very much for all your participation. 

Have a lovely Sunday.

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 10:26
Meh. I don't see the big deal. It's a source of protein, and we certainly eat a lot of animals that would be considered more cute (lamb comes to mind) without giving it a second thought. I suppose it all depends on how and why the animal is raised in the first place. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 05:10

Mike Pitrow, 

Industrialisation in general is a brutal business.

I shall stop here.  However, we are not discussing just horses. 

My mentioning the topic and tortures and cruelty endured,  refers to: THE WILD MUSTANGS OF THE WESTERN Usa.

End of the subject.  

Have a nice summer.  

gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 20:00
https://animalclock.org/
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 00:54
Gracoman, interesting, until you look and see that over 99% of the total is “shellfish”.

I work in the animal welfare field. I even spent 12 years as a cruelty inspector and was on a gov’t committee that completely re-wrote our animal welfare legislation. I am purely and truly an animal welfarist, not an animal rightist.

Which is why I have no qualms about hunting and endeavour to make sure that any animal I kill dies a quick and humane death. Shooting is one of the most humane deaths possible, the issue is that it’s not very aesthetic.

Horses fall into a category all their own. They are not really pets, they are not really farm animals, in most peoples eyes, which is why they garner special interest. However, I don’t think they any more deserving of special protection than any other animal. The issue is humane handling and slaughter, period, and which we should be ensuring for all animals killed for food.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 06:52
Why horse and dog treatment is an issue when cow, hog and poultry treatment is not seems odd to me.

I believe its well over a million "animals" killed each day in the US alone for food.  That adds up fast.  I guess fish and shellfish don't count. Much like cows, pigs and chickens. Guess that's why the oceans are being depleted. Out of sight, out of  mind.

I appreciate your work in the animal welfare field but animal welfare legislation?  What is that exactly?  Its a joke designed to make us feel better. A humane death?  That is questionable from the things I've seen. And you forgot the part about a humane life. The reality has nothing to do with welfare.  It has everything to do with maximizing profits and meeting quotas

Factory livestock and poultry farming is barbaric and beyond brutal. And it is poisonous. And disease producing.  However one feels about these practices is one's own affair.  My point here is that it is impractical and unsustainable.

You're right in saying horses aren't more deserving of special protection than any other animal.  They all deserve the same protection.

Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 07:59
The legislation was the penalties for those caught abusing animals. It’s not perfect but nothing is.

The blame does not belong all to the farmers or the industry. People want cheap food. That comes at a cost. They simply don’t understand well enough what that cost is. Many people do not understand where their food really comes from.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 20:25
Agreed Thumbs Up

And to those celebrating, have a great 4th! 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 02:21

Spain has its oxtail season (bull´s tails)  and France & Italy, its horse meat .. 

Each country has its greedy,  pathetic and relentless desire to kill and half of it lands up in the trash anyway.  

No wonder, the tendency towards vegetarism is growing at enormous rates here in Spain.  

And the new laws of many countries to do away with plastic is an accomplishment. So pleased .. 

In Spain, France and Italy, after 1 / 1 / 2020,  there is going to be no plastic bottles for wáter or plastic bags ..   The Netherlands and The U.K.  as well ..

Best wishes to all those on the other side of the blue pond,  have a nice holiday ..

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic