Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Milanese Risotto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Milanese Risotto
    Posted: 01 July 2019 at 06:52
Being born and raised in Milan, I could not include in my culinary path, the Milanese risotto, aka Risotto with Saffron or simply 'Yellow Risotto'. It is one of those traditional dishes that I have always loved.

Serves: 2 | Preparation time: 10-15 mins | Cooking time: 2h + 20 mins

• Skirt steak: 250 g
  • Carnaroli or Arborio rice: 180 g
  • Beef bone marrow: 30 g
  • Parmigiano cheese, grated: 30 g
  • Butter, unsalted: 25 g
  • Saffron pistils: 0,125 g
  • White wine, dry: 70 ml
  • Celery: about 5 sprigs
  • Onions, medium-sized: 2
  • Carrots: 1
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): 2 tbsp
  • Salt and pepper: to taste

Method

Start by preparing the broth, which must be then kept at high temperature (close to boiling) throughout the preparation of the risotto. Wash the carrot very carefully and cut it roughly in big pieces, about two or three, without peeling it. Cut the celery in the same way. Peel 1 onion and cut it in half. Warm up a tablespoon of olive oil in a pot and lightly brown the vegetables, along with the skirt steak. Pour in 1 liter of water and let it simmer on low fire for at least 2 hours. Season to taste and drain the broth to remove the vegetables and the meat.

Tip: To give your broth even more flavour, try adding to it a handful of fresh parsley and some whole pepper grains.

Put the saffron pistils in a small bowl or cup and cover them with warm broth; set them aside for about 20 minutes.

Clean the remaining onion and mince it very finely. Melt half of the butter in a large pan and brown the onion on low heat. You can already add a tablespoon of broth if the onion tends to stick to the bottom of the pan.

Add the beef bone marrow to the onion and stir thoroughly, then add the rice and toast it for a couple of minutes on medium heat. When the rice is toasted, add the white wine and let it simmer on high heat until it has evaporated completely. Turn the heat down and cook the rice by continuously adding just about enough warm broth to cover the rice, stirring throughout the whole process to prevent the risotto from burning. It’s very important for the broth to be hot, almost boiling, or it will prevent the rice from cooking properly by cooling it down.

Add the saffron pistils to the risotto, along with their broth , and season to taste.

Turn off the heat and add the remaining butter, which must be very cold, and half of the grated parmesan. Mix thoroughly, then cover the pan with a lid and leave it to rest for 1 or 2 mins before serving it topped with a generous sprinkle of Parmigiano if you want.

www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Sponsored Links

gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 08:38
One of my favorites although I mostly use a vegetarian recipe.  I haven't done this in a while.  Thanks for the reminder!
MyPinchofItaly.co.uk View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 09:39
You're welcome!

The vegetarian version is just perfect, I also often prepare it as an alternative to beef marrow, very good!
www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic