Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Aubergine Chocolate Cake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aubergine Chocolate Cake
    Posted: 03 July 2019 at 07:02
I know that the combination of Aubergine and Chocolate in a cake may seem risky, yet this recipe comes from the Amalfi coast (Campania region) and seems to be also an ancient recipe.
There are different versions to prepare it, there are also those who do not bake it at all in the oven and simply assemble the aubergine slices already fried previously, together with the chocolate.

I ate it for the first time when I was in Naples (not really on the Amalfi coast) and I was shocked by the goodness.

Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 1 h

• Aubergines: 1 kg
  • 70% Dark chocolate: 200 g
  • Brown sugar: 100 g
  • Almond flakes or walnuts: 180 g
  • Candied or fresh orange: 80 g
  • Milk: 60 ml
  • All-purpose flour: 4 tbsp
  • Cocoa powder, unsweetened: a teaspoon
  • Cinnamon powder: a pinch
  • (optional) Chili powder: a pinch
  • Lemon zest: 1
  • Salt: a pinch
  • Peanut oil (for deep-frying)

Method

Peel the aubergines and cut them into slices half a centimeter thick. Layer the aubergine slices in a colander, sprinkling them with salt. Leave them aside for ten minutes: the salt will help them dry up and the excess water will drip away. 

Heat up some peanut oil in a large frying pan. Rinse the aubergine slices to eliminate the salt, and dry them thoroughly with a kitchen cloth. Lightly flour the slices on both sides and drop them in the oil; turn them to make sure they are completely fried. Remove the aubergines from the oil and place them on a plate lined with kitchen paper: it’s important to ensure that any excess oil is absorbed by the paper. Whilst the aubergine slices are still lukewarm, coat them in a mixture of cocoa and cinnamon powder. Set them aside.

Prepare the chocolate cream: heat up the milk in a saucepan, then add the caster sugar and the dark chocolate, in pieces. Let the chocolate melt, stirring the mixture until it becomes uniform in texture. If it is a bit too liquid, you can just add some flour; if instead it’s too thick, you can try pouring in some more milk. Once the cream has reached a medium thick consistency, switch off the stove and leave it to cool.

Pre-heat the oven at 100°.

Cover a baking dish or a cake pan with baking paper. Spread some chocolate cream on top of the baking paper, then form a layer of aubergine slices and cover it with another layer of cream. Sprinkle some almond flakes, candied orange and lemon zest on the chocolate cream, then create another layer of aubergines and spread some chocolate cream on top of it. Proceed in the same way, alternating fried aubergine slices and cream, until you finish your ingredients. Top the cake with a generous spread of chocolate cream and garnish it with more almond flakes and candied orange.

Bake the aubergine chocolate cake for 10 minutes at 100°.

You can either serve this cake hot, straight out of the oven, or cut it into cubes and let it cool down completely.

Tip: Not a fan of almond flakes? Try chopped walnuts or pine nuts instead. You can also swap the candied orange for any other candied fruit of your choice.

www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Sponsored Links

maturelly View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maturelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 04:43
there is georgian food named karis gageba and  kanalizaciis gawmenda
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 12:16
Welcome to Foods of the World, George. I hope you like it here.

It's especially nice to have someone from your part of the world, with it's specialized food service (i.e., supra) and dishes that go back into antiquity. 

Feel free to join any existing thread. Or start two or six of your own.  We always welcome new voices and culinary points of view.

You might also look at my thread about Georgian food: http://www.foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/georgia-on-my-mind_topic4946.html and add any additions, corrections or comments you care to make.  

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic