Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Topics > The Veranda
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Summer 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summer 2019
    Posted: 09 July 2019 at 12:44

Time seems to have a way of flying, as we say, and it is already the 9th July.

Is anybody cooking something special outdoors or travelling to cooler climate ?  Anybody boating ? 

What is in season in your part of the world ?  

In Spain, it is Aragonese Red Peach Season and in Valle de Jerte, Northern Extremadura, it is black cherry season ..  

It is also " out door terrace " season, sitting outdoors and dining or enjoying one´s tapas.  The hit of the summer are wild freshly caught Boquerones ( Bo ka ro knees ) which are fresh anchovies.  They are dredged in special spiced flour mixes and sautéed in Spanish Evvo (Olive Oil ) and drizzled with fresh lemon ..  

We had some " Sahara " type temperatures through out Spain ranging from 35 Centig degrees in Madrid to  45 Degrees centig in The North Central Regions of Castilla León.  

We were battling one fire after another, and THE U.M.E.  ( Airforce Rescue Teams ) from  Spain, Portugal, Italy and France sent their helicopters and planes to assist in the estinguishing of these massive  fires ..  One being an electrical fire ..  

It was put one fire out and another started.

All my best regards to Hoser, Tas, Gracoman, Historic Foodie, Melissa, Aahron & The Ukranian Chronicles  .. 

Have a lovely summer .. 

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 09:10
It's peach season here, too, Margi; with those beatuful, ripe, juicy ones coming up from Georgia.  In addition to everything else, they're great on the grill to accompany meats of all kind.

My plans are to smoke a turkey this coming weekend.  It's the first one we've had in a long time in which rain isn't in the forecast.  Be still my heart! I'm planning on doing lamb kababs as well, as part of my Persian exploration.  

Of course, all of Europe was hit by those ridiculous temperature, but you seem to have hit harder that most others. Hopefully, things will start to settle down a bit.  Until this week it's been unseasonably hot here as well.  Temps and humidity have moderated somewhat, though, and we're close to normal.  
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 12:29

Hello Historic Foodie, 

Good luck with your turkey and Lamb kebabs ..

Hope you shall contine having some nice summer weather ..

The whole Mediterranean was hit with horrendous forest fires:  Southern France, Algarve, Portugal, Northern Italy and several parts of Spain:  Toledo, La Sierra de Madrid, Tarragona, Lérida, Pontevedra,  Galicia and Avila.    Sicily had some  volcanic eruptions as well.   

Pleased it has cooled off quite a bit (10 degrees cooler) .. 

All my best regards for a lovely summer ..  

Truly an extraordinary pleasurable read ( Persiana ) .. 

Wannabebwana View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 15:04
It was really hot when I was in Ukraine, though it’s cooled off some now.

I came home and it’s been over 30C every day since. 33C today. At least at home I have A/C

Not a lot planned for the summer. I’ve got a couple of trips to Northern Canada for work, a couple of fishing trips with buddies, then I’ll take SD20 and a friend camping next month. In September I’ll take a trip to Western Canada to visit my son’s family.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 15:55

Wannabebwana, 

Northern Canada sounds delighting !  Have a lovely summer and enjoy your trips in Canada. 

Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 20:01
Here in the middle of North America, my garden is just hitting the summer vegies. The last of the leaf lettuce and spinach are now mulch for cucumbers and pole beans. We've been eating green and wax beans for a week and had the first cucumbers for tonight's dinner.

And, God be praised, I saw a tomato showing the first hint of red. Hallelujah! Lordie, I live for garden fresh tomatoes. And the vines are loaded. We have over the last two years fenced in the area between the house and my woodshop and built a deck there. This meant moving great amounts of soil as we live on a corner lot that slopes about 5 feet from corner to corner. Soooo . . . that means that we have excess soil that hasn't seen light of day for decades or maybe even centuries, rich, black dirt that has been buried three feet deep just waiting for me to plant Early Girls and Jet Stars and Beefy Boys and Brandywines, the queen of all tomatoes. This soil became a set of three 16' long raised beds of some of the richest soil in the state that isn't in a river bottom. And that means that when I say the tomato vines are loaded I mean they are LOADED! I may give away a few tomatoes here and there, but this means we will, for the first time in several years, have tomatoes for canning: quarts and quarts and pints and pints and still more quarts. Summer sunshine packed in glass, ready to be opened for fall pots of chili and winter vegie soup and for just eating straight out of the jar all the way into next spring.

Ya think maybe I like tomatoes? Just a little bit, maybe? Yeah, maybe.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 05:19

Tom Kurth, 

Good luck with your tomatoes and have a very nice summer.  

Thank you for your feedback.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic