Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Bacalao al Ajoarriero = Muleteer´s Cod Fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bacalao al Ajoarriero = Muleteer´s Cod Fish
    Posted: 15 August 2019 at 05:21

Bacalao al ajoarriero or Muleteers´Cod fish, is a tasty colorful dish with all the robust flavor of the inland wine regions of Navarre, La Rioja and Aragón. It is still eaten on special occasions and accompanied by wine in which dried figs, peaches, quinces and apples have been macerated with cinammon sticks, nutmeg and cane sugar. 
It was one of Ernest Hemmingway´s favorite dishes and the dish spread  to other parts of The Iberian Peninsula where the shepherds and muleteers and merchants who travelled throughout Spain, with their droves of animals laden with goods.

RECIPE BY:  Margaux Alexandria Cintrano. 

BACALAO AL AJOARRIERO ..
Serves 6 ..

1.5 Kilos of Cod fish fresh, frozen or Salt Cod if preferred 
315 grams of red bell capsicums chopped finely
315 ml. Spanish extra virgin olive oil of choice
6 cloves of garlic finely minced or diced
salt to taste (cautions if using salt cod )
1 large onion ( 155 grams ) sliced finely
1 Green bell capsicum finely chopped
750 grams of red ripe tomatoes of choice ( peeled and de-seeded if desired ) and chopped finely
1 tsp of cane sugar 
315 grams of potatoes of choice, peeled and chopped 
1 pinch of red chili pepper ( guindilla = tiny dried red chili pepper from The Basque Country or similar) 
4 dried red bell peppers soaked for 1 hour ( optional and sold in all Latin Markets )
2 tablespoons of fresh finely minced parsely

1)  Remove the skin and the bones from the cod and shred into pieces.  Place the pieces in a colander and rinse under cold running wáter.  With your hands, press out all the wáter from the fish until dry and place on paper kitchen towelling aside.
2)  In a heat proof casserole, sauté the red bell pepper strips on a low slow flame in 90 ml. Evoo 
with 2 cloves of the garlic minced and a pinch of salt.
3) Now, in another casserole or skillet, or earthenware (traditional in Spain ), in 60 ml. Evoo, sauté the onion, Green bell pepper and the tomatoes. Add the salt and cane sugar ..  Cook until you have a sofrito, or combined concoction.
4)  Now, separately fry the potatoes ( I use wedges ) in 90 ml. Evoo and place the onion mixture over the potatoes once the potatoes are lightly tender. Transfer this mixture into an ovenware Cazuela or Earthenware.
5) Heat the remaining Evoo in a skillet and add the cod fish and the other 4 cloves of garlic minced and the tiny red dried horn chili pepper, crumbled. Then once the fish is lightly cooked, take this skillet and add it to the earthenware, over the potato mixture ( which is your "bed" or sofrito of the dish ).
6) Add the sautéed red bell mixture on top of the fish and sprinkle with fresh minced parsley .. 
7) Place in oven on low temperature for 5 minutes - 8 minutes .. Covered with aluminum or earthenware lid .. 
8) Check seasoning and Voila --  get the best Chapata style rectangular rustic bread from your best bakery and a good bottle of " White " Wine of choice or " a Young  red Rioja " (not oak aged, as it is too heavy for this dish ) .. 
Serve hot .. 
Enjoy ..  Quite remarkable  !  
Unfortunately, I cannot load up a photograph of my dish as I do not know how, as I am as Techi as a peanut ..  However, I shall send it to Dave Hoser .. 

And I am sure, he shall help a lady in distress !!!  However, it is a holiday in Spain, so next Monday I shall do as I am not home. 

Have a lovely summer ..

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 14:26

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic