Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Tools of the Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Dutch ovens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dutch ovens
    Posted: 14 May 2010 at 18:04
I've mostly got questions, and today they are about Dutch ovens. I'm quite ready to begin doing more cooking in them, mostly while camping with my son, but also at the house to learn in a controlled environment. I'd like any input that ya'll may have.

I've got a fair bit of lodge stuff that we use in the kitchen, but not a dutch oven. I'm in the market and checked out their site, but they don't seem to have much in the way of outdoor stuff. I found this other one and liked the idea of the dual purpose lid. I'd sure like any thoughts ya'll may have. I'm a sponge. Fill 'er up.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

http://www.campchef.com/store/item/66/DO14_12_qt_seasoned_cast_iron_dutch_oven.html

If what you're serving comes on a cracker, you'd better have a lot of it.
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 02:46
If it helps, I subscribe to Cook's Illustrated website and they have reviewed dutch ovens ..according to them the best buy is the Tramontina 6.5 quart enameled dutch oven...it's a bout 40 bucks. According to the experts over there, they prefer the enamel over the seasoned cast iron, but smiply because if you don't keep it seasoned properly, you'll get an iron taste in your food. My Dutch oven is enameled and I love it, however if I was going to be cooking with it mostly over a campfire...I'd go stricly with the pre-seasoned cast iron.Correction...34 bucks at Wally World
Go ahead...play with your food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 17:30
dan - just today i bought the 12-inch, 6-quart version of that dutch oven. here's the link:

the website price says 61$, but they are on sale here in my hometown for 30$. sounds good to me and it has everything i like to see in a dutch oven.

it does come "pre-seasoned," but i put it in the oven and let it come up slowly to 475, then as it cooled down i wiped it down with oil. between that and regular use as well as careful cleaning, i imagine it will last just about forever, if taken care of.

one thing's for sure, dutch ovens can't be beat for a lot of different kinds of cooking!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Rockydog View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 08:05
daniel77 View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 21:41
Rockydog,
That link is an excellent resource. Thanks a bunch

Tas,
My wife has found a deal for me for father's day. I'm not sure of the brand (think it's Camp Chef), but it is a package deal at Acamdemy. It all comes in a wooden box and is about 8 different pieces for $70. Admittedly, some of those pieces I wouldn't have bought, but just three of the pans bought separately cost as much, and the lid lifter is included also. I'm sure I'll be getting another oven in the near future, so please let me know how you like that one.
I nearly bought a Lodge oven, but it was $70 for just the one 14" oven, as they only had a 10" and a 14", and I felt that was a bit much. I already have a 10" and it is a bit small for quite a few uses. Oh well...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:02
mike - outstanding link! i've been reading through it and it is invaluable!

dan - sounds like your wife has you pretty well set up with some great stuff and also at a great value! i gave my camp chef DO a try over the weekend making carbonade flamande for my son's graduation. results were absolutely outstanding and i credit to camp chef for a large part of the success!

daniel77 View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 17:23
Update on the dutch oven, or more correctly, camp stove. I went back and looked at all the available camp stoves. After closer inspection, I wound up not going with the package deal, because all of the models that they had on the shelves had rather poor fitting lids. Seems to me that this is a fairly major flaw, so instead, I went with another Lodge camp stove. They only had a 10" and 14", and since it's mostly just my son and I, we went with the 10". We've just gotten back from a horseback camping trip in Kisatchie Nat'l Forrest, and used it to fry some fish and hush puppies last night, and inverted the lid for pancakes this morning. It turned out that one of the three things I forgot, was the canned peaches for our peach cobbler last night (worked out fine, cause after all the fish he ate, no way that boy had more room). So, I have a nice little fire going int he fire pit outside right now, making me some coals for tonight's peach cobbler.

Overall, I'm very happy with the new pot, and it was very satisfying using campfire coals to cook our supper.
daniel77 View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 14:47
Peach cobbler "dump cake"
Need one large (32 oz) or two regular cans of sliced peaches (other fruits will do just fine as well)
line a dutch oven with foil to make cleanup easy, and pour in the peaches.
Pour one box of yellow cake mix over the top (the mix, strait out of the box, not adding a thing)
I use my hand to level off the cake mix, and then add a few pats of butter over the top.
1/3 of your coals on the bottom, 2/3 on the top, and rotate oven 90* CTclkws and lid of oven 90* clws every 10 minutes or so. I also like to sprinkle some brown sugar over the top about 10 minutes before finishing up. Should take 45 minutes or so total. On this one, I'm just getting used to her, and I used too many coals. It finished up with a fairly crusty top in right at 35 minutes.

I apologize for not having any vanilla ice cream to go along side.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 17:04
man, that looks good, dan! glad you are enjoying your new purchase! if it was anything like my experience, it won't be the last ~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic