Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Grains, Breads and Baking
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Provolone and Caramelised Red Onion Puff Pastry Ta
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Provolone and Caramelised Red Onion Puff Pastry Ta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Provolone and Caramelised Red Onion Puff Pastry Ta
    Posted: 08 August 2020 at 01:54

Serves 4-6, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking time 40 mins

• 800 g red onions
  • 50 g Provolone cheese
  • 320 g puff pastry
  • 3 dessert spoons of sugar
  • 1 spoon of white vinegar
  • 20 g unsalted butter
  • 1 egg
  • Provolone cheese, to taste

Method

Finely slice the onions, then put them in a pan with butter and let them simmer for about 10 min, then add sugar and cook over a low heat for about 20 mins, stirring from time to time by adding a spoon of white vinegar and let it evaporate by turning up the heat.
As soon as they are ready, let them cool down a bit.

Beat the egg along with a bit of water.

Dice the Provolone and set aside.

Preheat oven to 180C. Unroll puff pastry dough and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut a 2cm border around the edge of the pastry and glaze its edge with beaten egg.

Prick with a fork the bottom of the puff pastry so it won’t swollen during baking, add caramelised onions and sprinkle diced Provolone over them.

Bake for 15-20 mins to 180 C or until the pastry is golden brown and Provolone melts.

www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2020 at 18:18
Sounds delicious.
MyPinchofItaly.co.uk View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 00:43
Thank you, Melissa Smile

www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Wannabebwana View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 08:27
You’ve been cooking up a storm!

This does look delicious. Unfortunately, red onions aren’t to be found right now due to a salmonella scare.  But I think I will try this when they come back.
MyPinchofItaly.co.uk View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 13:32
LOL

Oh, I didn't know about the red onions salmonella over there. I hope you can find and cook them soon!

I haven't tried white onions, I don't know if they might work...
www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic