Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > Mexico and Central America
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Queso Fundido with Chorizo and Rajas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queso Fundido with Chorizo and Rajas
    Posted: 27 June 2021 at 19:21
A simple dish made of Mexican chorizo, sliced roasted (blackened and skins removed) poblano peppers, sliced onion and cheese. 
Served in small flour tortillas in the north and corn tortillas everywhere else.

Not show are the homemade corn tortillas resting in the tortilla warmer.

New corn tortilla press, same old comal, and awesome dried masa.  This masa approaches fresh but fresh is always best

Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2021 at 23:23
How do you like that style press, G-man?

I recently bought a more traditional cast iron one, specifically for making corn tortillas and arepas.

So far, I love it.  But realized too late I could have had one significantly cheaper. Ah, we.l.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2021 at 07:40
I like this press well enough.  It works like a charm and sure is pretty but it was way to expensive for what it is and does.  I wanted a new press because, at 6", my old one is a bit small and it was making me crazy.  So I fell for the hype and spent too much. 

I started out pressing masa for tortillas with the bottom of a pyrex pie pan.  That worked pretty well but I upgraded for speed.  Wasn't that much faster but faster is was.

I though about starting from scratch and getting into the nixtamalization of corn but came up against a wall when searching for a grinder.  Hand cranked doesn't work that well and has problems with flaking.  The cheapest wet grinder I found was $200.00.  And that was cheap.  Next was the hand ground using the ancient stone method.  First I had to buy a stone which wasn't all that cheap and much more labor intensive than a hand cranked grinder.  So I gave up.  Fresh masa bought from a local Mexican joint or Masienda for me.

What I've found that does make a difference in pressing a corn tortilla is the plastic used on the press.  The thinner the better.  Forget the zip lock bags and cut pieces out from plastic grocery store shopping bags.  100% better.

My older stuff with ubiquitous Maseca.  As stated earlier, fresh masa is king but not always convenient so I tried the Masienda which is where I found the new tortilla press.  Maseca has no smell.  No odor.  The Masienda has a very strong smell of corn.  Night and day those two.  Same ol comal (a lodge cast iron griddle) but a cast iron or carbon steel skillet work just as well as does my electric skillet.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic