Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Black Eyed Pea Salad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Eyed Pea Salad
    Posted: 12 September 2010 at 03:59
I think tomatoes would be a great addition John. A cayenne would also complement everything else in there. Let us know how you make out with it. It would be a nice little buffet dish for the game tomorrow.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 16:37
You know, looking at this again, this is the perfect time of year to make it. Dave, what do you think about adding some chopped fresh tomatoes in there? We've got some from the garden that are asking to go into something. I'm thinking maybe a single cayenne pepper, finely chopped in the whole dish to add some zing?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2010 at 07:22
Wow, what a superb summer salad you've made there, Dave! Very, very nice and the recipe is perfect for just about anyone to make. The plated pic sure showed off the pretty colours in the salad which added a visual element to the entire meal. Thanks for including the vinagrette recipe, that's one I'd like to try. Thumbs Up 
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2010 at 04:00
I was making some vidalia grilled chicken for supper last night, and wanted a side dish with a little crunch to it to go along with the chicken and asparagus. Well, after reading my brother's post about peppadews I picked a jar up. This got mixed with a can of black eyed peas with bacon, well rinsed and drained, some onions, celery and cucumber. I then made a quick vinagrette out of dijon mustard, red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, with some leftover tarragon minced into it. All I can say is it came out kick ass! The wife loved it, even though she thought she'd hate it when she looked at it. The peppadews give it a wonderful sweetness, offset by a little bit of a kick, and the crunch from the crispier veggies puts it over the top.This is the only pic I got of it, since I wasn't sure I was going to like it either.
I'll post the recipe properly as soon as possible...this one is a winner guys!

Next time I will use hotter peppadews, or kick it up a bit with crushed red as well.

Black Eyed Pea Salad

My original recipe ...a nice summertime side dish. A little sweet, and nicely crunchy
Salad:
   1 can back eyed peas well rinsed and drained
   1 cup corn, canned or frozen
   1/2 vidalia onion, diced
   1 large stalk celery, diced
   1/3 jar mild peppadews, diced
   1 pickling cucumber, diced
   Salt and pepper to taste
Dressing:
   1 heaping teaspoon Dijon style mustard
   2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
   1 teaspoon garlic paste
   2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
   1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste, toss lightly.

Add mustard, vinegar, garlic paste and tarragon to another bowl and whisk together.

Whisk constantly while drizzling in the olive oil to make a nice vinagrette.

Pour over salad , toss and chill if possible before serving.

Recipe formatted with the
Cook'n Recipe Software from DVO Enterprises.
Go ahead...play with your food!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic