Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Welcome to the Foods of the World Forum > New Members' Lounge, Announcements and Site Assistance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Photographing & Posting Pictures of Your Food

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photographing & Posting Pictures of Your Food
    Posted: 31 January 2010 at 10:26
Posting your pictures is very easy and free. Although there are several image hosting services out there, I use "photobucket" because it is simple and it is FREE Smile

Go to  http://www.photobucket.com   and sign up for a free account.

click here for a great tutorial on how easy it is to upload pictures to photobucket:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/tutorial-step-by-step-guide-how-to-use-photobucket

Simply size your pictures to 800 pixels wide, then upload them at www.photobucket.com. When they are finished uploading, hit the button marked "VIEW ALBUM" or "SAVE AND CONTINUE TO MY ALBUM."

To post it on your thread in the Foods Of The World, you must copy the IMG code and paste it on your thread. You just place your cursor over the IMG CODE line, LEFT CLICK and you will see a note saying COPIED. Then you just place your cursor on the place on your FOTW post, and paste - here's a visual:

you will see all of the pictures you just uploaded. hover the cursor over the one you want (or the first one in the "series" if you are doing multiple pix) and you will see a dropdown appear that looks like this:

click ONCE on the IMG CODE option (circled in red above) and it will copy the tag for you, then simply paste that into your post.

for multiple pictures, you can repeat the procedure, or simply paste the same tag as before, then change the last part of the tag to reflect the "name" of the next picture; i number the pictures for each project to make this very easy, all i have to do is change the number at the end.

The correct format will look like this (brackets are substituted by "{" signs, and dots are replaced by the word, "DOT"):

{img}addressDOTcomDOTpicture_name_numberDOTjpg{/img}

That's all there is to it!

[22 AUGUST 2012]

ALTERNATE PROCEDURE for posting photos in FOTW, once they are on photobucket:

after some "messing around" on photobucket, i think I may have found an easier way to post photos that might be helpful for those who are having trouble. if you fall into this category, take a look at this:

once your photos are on photobucket, open a new window or tab to create or edit your FOTW post. then simply click on the little thumbnail of the photo to open the photo in its own page, then copy it. to do this, RIGHT CLICK (or the android equivalent) on the photo and choose COPY. then go back to the post that you are creating or editing in FOTW, and PASTE the photo wherever you want it.

repeat as necessary.

try that and see if it works. this, to me, seems the easiest way possible. between this method and the methods outlined earlier in this thread, it should be easy.

there's also the photo button up above where you write the post (the little picture that looks like this: Insert Image). you can click on that and input the address of the photo. PLEASE NOTE that there is an option to upload photos to the FOTW server, and you can do this, but space might be limited.

any questions, just ask ~

ron
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 07:21
hey, guys -

a friend on facebook makes homemade candy was talking about her frustrations when trying to photograph her finished product. i got to thinking it would make a good topic here.

what are some of the things you all do to get the best pictures possible? background? setting? angles? light? presentation? what else?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 15:17
You got to get the subject of the pic to fill the frame. GET CLOSE. For instance, if you are taking a pic of a bowl of beans, then get as close as possble to the bowl of beans. Make those beans fill the frame. You don't want the spoon, the napkin nor the wall calendar or the mail, neither. If you are wanting to show something to your observer, then make their eyes see what you want them to.

Sometimes, a background is appropriate and the immediate surrounding helps make the picture. In this case, back off just enough to take these details in, but no more. Again, keep the viewer focused. 

Don't be afraid to play with light. Point lamps in different angles, look through the lense and pay attention to what you see. Some of the best pictures come from terrible lighting that just harmonizes and shows off the dish! Not all pics have to be well lit, straight on. The shadows created by the lamp also emphasized the browning of the skewers from the broiler.

Nobody likes an eye-ache nor a head-ache, so please don't post fuzzy pics; they give you both. I made a mistake and posted this one because I wanted to demonstrate what I was writing about. I forgot that good writing beats a picture 100% of the time. It is better to skip a bad shot and describe it than to subject your viewers to a poor image.

So, skip the cellphone shots, the shaky shots and write about it instead. Nothing worse that scrolling down and being assaulted by a jarring image.

Get DOWN WITH YOUR FOOD! I mean get down with it! Squat! Sit! Lean forward until your back hurts. Rest your wrists on the counter, just get that lense at the food level. THAT makes for a great shot....it brings the viewer right to where the food is, at its level and brings that baby home. Getting down also gives you the power to create impressions.  Don't overlook this technique to give your subject power. 

Sometimes you have to get UP in the sky so to speak . Stand on a chair and get that special shot staright down. I have a special chair I use for just these shots....it's an old kindergarden wooden chair, the kind from 50 years ago, and it serves perfectly. 

These are the basics.

There are so many bad images around, please try not to add to the mix Wink Take your time. Think about what you are trying to say, VISUALLY. Fill your frame with your subject matter an nothing else. Play with light. And most of all, in today's day and age with no film developing costs what with digital cameras, take A LOT of pics! Then, sort through and find a good one. I probably take an average of about 5 or 6  pics of each image I post. Not always, but that's an average. It is very easy to delete pics from the computer.

Anyways, hope this helps and keeps the pictures coming! 
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 03:55
Here's a look at what a little time and a great deal of talent can produce presentation-wise.
From the cheftalk forum

Go ahead...play with your food!
got14u View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote got14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 07:57
Now that is pretty cool hoser. I do not have the patience for that at all. Plus I am usually in to much of a rush to get the food on the table for the kids...lol. There is definitely a art to getting a good shot of food
Jerod

Life's hard, it's even harder when your stupid.
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 11:20
 Perhaps I can add to this thread by mentioning that I have discovered that the food pics I import here from my photobucket account must be resized to fit properly.
 It's no real trouble to do this.
 I copy the direct link URL from my photobucket account, then come back here and click on the picture icon. It opens a page where I can paste the URL, which I do.
 Before I hit the submit button, I do the resizing.
 In my particular case the pics I've imported have a height and width represented by the numbers 800 and 600. I've learned to reduce those numbers by half simply by backspacing them out and replacing them with 400x300. This allows the reader to view the post and pics without having to slide the page back and forth.
 I hope this can be of some help to anyone that may have run into the same problem.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 18:19
Ok, I feel foolish. I tried to make a post about what I did with the goose fat, with pictures, but I could only post one picture. When I posted a second, it replaced the first. Any idea why?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 18:33
melissa, no need to feel foolish - it takes a little getting used to!

the "post picture" buttons in the software work here, i never use them. generally, the easiest way i've found to post pix is this:

(note that in the examples below, the "{" characters will substitue for [brackets]):

you want to have the URL (web address) of the picture inside image ({IMG}) "tags."

to get the address of a picture already on the internet, right-click on the picture and then highlight and copy the address. you will need to do this for each picture you post.

then, inside your post, you can post the picture by setting up your image tags:

{img}{/img}

and then pasting the address of the picture between the brackets - example:

{img}address . picture . com . jpg{/img}

note: if you use photobucket, it's even easier. there will be a list of codes below your picture in your album. the one for posting here is on the bottom, and is automatically copied when you click on it.

the procedure above sounds complicated, but it's really very easy and, once you get the hang of it, quite fast.

try that, and if you have anymore troubles, let me know!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 02:11
Photobucket is also the method I use and it's very easy and reliable.
Here is a good basic tutorial on photobucket that should help you out Melissa
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 08:56
outstanding, dave - since the original one in the first post here is out of date (photobucket has gone through some changes since then), i'll replace portions of it with this link.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 08:51
4.45pm

Ron,

Signed on to Photo Bucket ... even uploaded a few photos ( assorted ), all except GAZPACHO ! 
It seems it is in my email, from You Ron, However, the photo is ? on my Pendrive ...

PLEEZE KEEP CALM MARGI ... ( I am as Techi as a peanut, however, that is what www.lastminute.com said in the UK and today, she is a millionaire with one of the 1st Travel Agencies online ! )

I am going to try and get it on the pendrive for starters, then the 2nd thing is to go back to upload it on PHOTO BUCKET

If I have any other probs with Gazpacho, I shall send u another email

Grazie ...
Margi.  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 08:58
hi, margi - i am thinking that you should be able to save the photo onto your desktop (or the smart-phone equivalent of a desktop or folder) and then upload to photobucket from there? i do not have a smart-phone (in fact, my phone is very, very dumb - lol), so i do not know for sure. i am not familiar with pendrive, but if i am reding your description right, it should work just fine. once it is on photobucket, it should be very easy to post, but if you have problems, just let me know! Smile

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 10:54

19.00 Hrs. Thursday

Ron ( and Marissa, )
Firstly Ron, Yes, I do an Android Samsung Galaxy Mobile phone with internet access. 
@Marissa: I got through Step A today which is a breeze, that is to get your photos on your Photo Bucket Account ... HOWEVER, Step B is a bit complex at the moment ... I am as techi as a peanut, so do not feel so bad. We both shall pass the test eventually !

Margaux.  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 11:13
using the guidelines above, here's my recommended "method" to do pix, from start to finish, for a "pictorial" or guide:

STEP 1 - FORMAT AND UPLOAD THE PICTURE TO PHOTOBUCKET

a) take the picture (of course!)

b) if necessary, convert the picture from whatever format (TIF, PNG, BMP etc.) to JPEG or JPG.

c) crop and/or adjust picture attributes (brightness, saturation etc) as necessary

d) re-size picture to 800 pixels wide

e) re-name the photo and save it as a JPG. what i normally do is name them in chronological/procedural order, starting at 1 and going up to whatever number i need to in order to complete the "series."

example: gazpacho1, gazpacho2 etc

this way, the URL will be exactly the same for each picture in the series, except for the number corresponding to the number of pictures in the series

example: gazpacho1 through gazpacho5

f) upload all the pix in the series together to photobucket 

g) from photobucket, copy/paste the IMG tags into your post at FotW -

STEP 2 - USING PICTURES FROM PHOTOBUCKET IN YOUR POSTS OR PICTORIALS

1) COPY the IMG tag for the first picture and then paste (CTRL+V) the IMG tag into the post as many times as necessary in the series. note that the IMG tag will be identical for each picture throughout the entire web address/URL/IMG tag, except for the NUMBER of the picture in the series.

example: if there are 5 pictures in the series, paste (CTRL+V) the complete IMG tag for the first picture (gazpacho1) 5 times, with a space between each pasting:

CTRL+V
ENTER
CTRL+V
ENTER
etc.

this will give you 5 lines of the complete "IMG tag," ending with "gazpacho1.jpg" and the "/IMG tag," each separated by a space

2) when you have pasted it in as many times as necessary, simply go back and alter the NUMBER ONLY (remember, everything else is the same) to correspond with the picture in the series.

example: instead of five lines of gazpacho1, alter the numbers ONLY to read the IMG tag/URL/address followed by:

gazpacho1.jpg (ending with /IMG tag)
(space)
gazpacho2.jpg  (ending with /IMG tag)
(space)
gazpacho3.jpg (ending with /IMG tag)
etc.

3) go back to the beginning of your post and add the text, explanations, etc. to correspond with each picture.

example: your post might read something like this:

"here are the ingredients necessary to make gazpacho"
(space)
(IMG tag for gazpacho1)
(space)
add any notes about the ingredients, or perhaps point out that the ingredients are easy to find, etc.
(space)
the first step in making gazpacho is to (describe the procedure)
(space)
(IMG tag for gazpacho2)
(space)
and so on and so forth....

repeat down the line, adding headers and (if desired or necessary) footers to each picture until you are done with your post.

for other examples, see many of the posts here that outline procedures for making various dish or recipes.

i hope this is clear, but if anyone has any questions or needs clarification, please let me know.

ron 
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 11:18
Ron,

It sounds a hell of alot simpler than Photo Bucket, Google or any other Computer Instructions for uploading, downloading or any other acitivity I have encountered. I think you are a pretty good coach ... Thanks for all your clarification. Let me see, how I can use over wkend and then, I shall have my viewpoint !  I now understand TAG PART = NAME OF PHOTO & NUMBER OF PHOTO IN SERIES.

Thanks for clarifying.
Kindly.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 11:20
margi - i made a couple of edits to my psot above, which should help clarify what i mean. take a look and let me know.

once a person is accustomed to this method, it is very easy and very fast ~ let me know if you have questions.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 12:00
Ron,

I am going to try it out on Saturday morning ... It is always my free morning ... This way, I can see, how I match each step, with each step in Photo Bucket ... and on the Community Website ... it seems clear, however, when you are learning something brand new, there is a tendency to feel overwhelmed ... I understand STEP A ---

Now in practice, I need to do STEP B, to answer you and advise where I might have the probs.

DISHES AND INGREDIENTS:  Yes, it is important especially for those living in rural zones, to have availability SEASONALLY to many of the foreign ingredients is quite difficult --- and one should list substitutes or Possibilities where to buy on line in USA or in state next to the state they live --- it is important to assist and give advice ...  

Kindest.
Thanks.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 15:20
the main thing i can think of is:

tell a story with your pictures, whethr it is one picture or a sequence of them. try to show the colours to advantage, and the action, when you have the opportunity.

for some possible ideas on getting better photographs, take a look at a lot of my "signature posts" or "pictorials." some of my ideas there might be of help. some favourites that immediately come to mind (i will add to this list as appropriate) are:

not all of these are 100% perfect, but these are my favourites ~ there are elements in each one that have some really good ideas hopefully illustrating some of the ideas we are talking about on this thread. any other ideas are very much welcome. on the other side of the coin, some pictures there (hopefully they will be clear) are an example of what NOT to do!Shocked

if anyone else ends up with a pictorial that they are really liking, feel free to post a link here as a reply ~
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 16:06
Excellent examples.

Setting up the stuff in the frame seems like something I have a grip on. Maybe you can help with some other questions. I'm pretty sure to get a quality photo I'm going to have to set the camera to manual. I also think I'm going to have to create a set. I need to know stuff like lighting differences and setups. By that I mean types of lights and their set up around the shot. Diffusers and reflectors and shadows and stuff. Like F stops and shutter speeds and how these work. These are the things that confuse me.

I don't have lots of cash or a fancy digital camera, but it is digital, and I can fake the rest. I would rather just point and shoot, but that's not working out as you might have noticed in the few pictures I've placed in here.
Hungry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 16:26
rod ~ i gotta be honest, buddy: i just set my 65$ panasonic to automatic! Embarrassed

here are some things i do that seem to help get better-looking photos, but as far as the camera goes, i don't do much.

most digital cameras have a button that you can push that looks like a little flower - this is for more close-up photos (within 5 metres, i think, but i could be wrong). i use this whenever i can.

i also try to use the flash whenever i can, unless it washes out the photo. using the flash can help with a sharper image, and also lets them "pop" a little. if your flash is adjustable (stronger or lighter intensity of flash), so much the better, so that you can adjust that as needed to minimise wash-out.

for most of those "pictorials" up there, i am guessing there were probably 10 "discarded" or "rejected" pictures for each one that i found usable. thank the lucky stars for digital cameras, where this is concerned.

those are really the only camera-related things i do - for me, the real work begins after the shot.

once i have the pictures, and choose the ones i want to keep, i re-name them according to the project and sequence (example: paella 1, paella 2 etc.), and then tweak them just a bit. any basic photo-editor will be fine, such as photoshop or microsoft photo editor - for a lot of things, even simple MS paint will be a big help.

a) i ROTATE the photograph, a degree at a time, until whatever i want to show is aligned the way i want it to. usually only 1-5 degrees are necessary.

b) after that, i CROP the photograph, cutting away wall space, table space, my kid in the background sticking his tongue out, the cats trying to paw at the meat on the table, filthy stovetop, and everyhting else. basically, i cut out EVERYTHING i don't want to show, focusing on whatever subject is at hand at the moment.

NOTE: this is not to say that you should eliminate a background - where appropriate, backgrounds are wonderful, especially in table settings or in some preparation pictures. a bottle of wine, an opened container of an ingredient being measured, etc. are all good things, but you want to draw attention to what's going on, too, and cropping really helps trim the fat on the photo.

c) next, i hit the "auto adjust" or "auto fix" or "auto enhance" button - almost any program has this function, but if not, it isn't necessary. the thing i like about mine is that it tends to really make colurs "pop," almost as if they are in the old-style kodachrome. many of the links above show this very well.

d) next, i resize the photo to 800 pixels wide, save and close.

e) next, for some reason, the pictures i do can be reduced in "disk space size" (NOT in screen or pixel size) by opening them again in MS PAINT (only this program), and then simply saving and closing. this will cut the "disk space"" size of the picture nearly in half, every time, with no reduction in quality. this is a factor when uploading to photobucket or wopening the web page, so it is worth trying with your computer to see if you get the same result. if you do, it's a short step that is worth the time. if not, no worries.

finally, after all of that, i load it up to photobucket, get the IMG code and get to work building the post, as described here:

do a little experimenting and see how you do!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic