Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Raised "garden"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 20:43
Originally posted by daniel77 daniel77 wrote:

I'm late to this party, but the potatoes thing is a REALLY good idea in pots. You'll make more potatoes in a LARGE pot than you can imagine. The trick is to use a really large container. I'm a landscaper, so getting large pots is easy for me. I use 20-30 gallon pots that we buy trees in. They would be around the same size as half a whiskey barrel. You start off with only about 8-12" of good soil in the bottom of the pot. You want fairly loose soil for anything that grown underground (onions, peanuts, carrots, whatever) as really hard or compacted soild will not allow for the fruit to expand and grow easily and result in stunted fruit. Once your potatoes have sprouted and become well established, you begin to add soil in 6" increments. You will be covering up a row or two of newly emerging branches each time you add soil. These branches will become roots, and you will wind up growing potatoes in layers. The ones at the top will be new potatoes and probably won't have time to get very large. I've done this with several varieties of both red and white potatoes. This really is a good way to go about growing them, however, the fully filled container will be quite heavy, so on a deck or boards may not be the best place to try this. Good luck.

I have to try this, this sounds like a really good method.  Thanks, Daniel.
Sponsored Links

Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 20:44
Originally posted by DIYASUB DIYASUB wrote:

A little off topic from the original post, but as long as we're mentioning growing potatoes in containers i have to tell you that I've been using discarded tires. It's the same method Daniel is using, and they grow quote well. The only difference is at harvest time when rather than trying to overturn a large container, I just flip tires off the stack one by one and rake out the soil to collect the spuds.

Just saw this after I read Daniel's post.  You guys are geniuses!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 05:27
Originally posted by Boilermaker Boilermaker wrote:

Originally posted by DIYASUB DIYASUB wrote:

A little off topic from the original post, but as long as we're mentioning growing potatoes in containers i have to tell you that I've been using discarded tires. It's the same method Daniel is using, and they grow quote well. The only difference is at harvest time when rather than trying to overturn a large container, I just flip tires off the stack one by one and rake out the soil to collect the spuds.

Just saw this after I read Daniel's post.  You guys are geniuses!

No genius, just necessity being the mother of invention.
 You see, where I'm at the hills arent as steep as those in West Virginia where my Grandfather lived. His method of growing potatoes was to plant the rows straight up and down the mountain rather than crosswise like most folks would.
 Using this method, when it came time to harvest his potatoes all he had to do was to take a shovel and knock loose the bottom of each row and then hold open a bag and all the potatoes would come rollin' down the hill and into the bags!  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic