Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Library
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Time-Life's Foods of the World Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2016 at 11:45
Awesome, Melissa! Span/Portugal was the first FOTW book that I read, and is still my favourite! Clap

Now, let's see some cookin'! Thumbs Up
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 14:12
:) I have a friend who's been to Portugal. Maybe she can suggest a favorite dish.

It's been too hot to cook here for a few days, so I've just been reading cookbooks.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 10:15
I found the Scandinavia book!

My mom says she had the whole set once (inherited it), but gave it away. :(
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 11:18
Ron,

Portugual is my neighbor and I have been to Lisbon several times ( 1 / 2 hour flight via Tap Air or Iberia Airlines ) ..

I have several books on a wide variety of Portuguese regions ..   Is there something specific that you are looking for  ?

365 Days a year promoted by the Tourist Office, with 365 Cod Fish Dishes !!  

The Squid is amazing and so are the hugh red prawns amongst other sea adventures ..

However, the cuisine in the North has alot of  similarities  to Galician Rias Biaxas Cuisine and the Duero which is red wine country near Salamanca,  is quite similar to this western border región of Spain.

The southern coastal área Algarve,  is similar in cuisine to Cadíz and Huelva on the southern Atlantic .. 

I had bought a few books at the International  Book fair last year in Lisbon.  They speak English and Spanish very well ..  

If you send me an email or message via F.B., I can scan a few récipes for you.

Have a lovely weekend .. 

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 14:27
If there's anybody besides me who doesn't own all the FOTW books, and wants to, check this out:  https://www.thriftbooks.com/browse/?b.search=foods%20of%20the%20world#b.s=mostPopular-desc&b.p=1&b.pp=30&b.oos&b.tile

I'm going to have the Germany book at last! :)
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2020 at 09:01
Nice find Melissa!
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2020 at 13:23
I'm TRYING to be thrifty, because COVID's messing with my job situation, but 6 books for $27, including a couple I've never seen for sale- I couldn't resist.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 18:31
Youngest Nephew (15) is turning out to be a talented baker. I got him the Scandinavia book and recipe booklet for Christmas.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2021 at 11:45

Melissa,

Lucky you !  

I am sure they shall be very useful too ..

Hope all is well and it is nice to see a new post  !!!

It is quite quiet here ..  

It saddens me a bit ..  

All is well and we are looking forward to the holidays and 2022 of course.  

Has been a challenging and complex era. 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2021 at 16:53
It's not quite the same without photos.

I hope he likes them. He sounded interested in the danish pastries. He made a great chocolate mousse cake for my birthday. (From scratch!)
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 22:16
Hi Melissa. Great to hear from you. 

Is your nephew just interested in pastries? Or does he want to make bread, too?  If so you might direct him to my bread primer: http://www.foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/the-staff-of-life-a-primer-on-baking-bread_topic3089.html

It's really nice hearing about somebody that young developing an interest in the culinary arts.  Not very common, despite what some food celebrities claim.  Hope he stays with it.  
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 10:36
His favorite thing seems to be cakes. He made pineapple upside-down cake when he was 11.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2021 at 13:34

Melissa, 

This is great news ..  

Have a lovely evening.  
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2021 at 15:43
Sadly, I got the book, but not the recipe booklet that was advertised as included. THe book has a bright orane covr, not the usual one.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2021 at 07:15
Hmmmmmm? I wonder if that's a later edition?  My copy of that one is white, with a photo of a glass container of herring, a cheese of some kind, and a glass of, what I presume to be, aquivit.  

Too bad about the recipe booklet.  I'd contact the seller about it. But, meanwhile, there certainly are enough recipes in the book to whet his whistle.  And, let's face it, there is a plentitude of Scandinavian recipes on the web, if the topic trips his trigger.  

He made a pineapple upside-down cake when he was 11.

How ironic. When I was about 12, in the Scouts, I made a pineapple upside-down cake in foil, on an open fire.  Won the cooking merit badge on the strength of that cake. 

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 13:34

Melissa,

Great news !!!  

I really enjoy the historical and geographical aspects of the series.  I also love CULINARIA Series too.

All my best wishes. It has been a long time since we have had a chat or two.

Have a lovely weekend.
26 / 11 / 2021

Happy Thanksgiving too. 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2021 at 11:43
I read them at least as much for the culture as the recipes.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2021 at 14:13

I too love The Time Life and The Culinaria for the history, geographical, products, cultural and photography as well.   Great for research especially when travelling too.

Dessert Cookbooks:   I love the Le Cordon Bleu Series for Desserts ..  I love the Chocolate edition. 

They also have an amazing selection of books on appetisers, winter specialties, sauces, soups etcetra.

Got mine at an International Book Festival held in May yearly except for 2020 ..

Take care, getting late here now.

Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic