Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Library
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Time-Life's Foods of the World Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time-Life's Foods of the World Series
    Posted: 23 July 2010 at 09:08
I'll expand a little more on this post when I have time; for now, I would like to say that this outstanding series from the late 1960s and early 1970s was THE inspiration for this forum, along with a healthy interest that both RIVET and I have with international and historic cooking.

Here is a complete listing of the hardback books in the series. each hardback also has a spiral-bound recipe book that has the recipes in the hardback, plus quite a few more.

This should be all of them, but if any are missing, let me know!

Volumes
  • African Cooking
    American Cooking
    American Cooking : Creole and Acadian
    American Cooking : The Eastern Heartland
    American Cooking : The Great West
    American Cooking : The Melting Pot
    American Cooking : New England
    American Cooking : The Northwest
    American Cooking : Southern Style
    Cooking of the British Isles
    Cooking of the Caribbean Islands
    Cooking of China
    Classic French Cooking
    Cooking of Provincial France
    Cooking of Germany
    Cooking of India
    Cooking of Italy
    Cooking of Japan
    Latin American Cooking
    Middle Eastern Cooking
    Pacific-Southeast Asian Cooking
    Quintet of Cuisines
    Russian Cooking
    Cooking of Scandinavia
    Cooking of Spain and Portugal
    Cooking of Vienna's Empire
    Wines and Spirits

Supplements

• Menu Guide & Recipe Index
    Supplement Number One
    Supplement Number Two
    Kitchen Guide
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 14:41
What an excellent post, Ron...well done! Clap (Let's make this one a sticky) These are some of the most interesting and beautiful cookbooks around. Though the pictures are dated- they are fourty-years old now- the recipes are sound and the background of the particular food and regions shared by the authors is priceless.

Thanks to Ron, I now have nine of the volumes in the series and enjoy everyone of them. He sent me each one and I could not have appreciated them more than I do. If you all get a chance to run across them, pick them up and take some time to read the text...you will be in for a great surprise.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 14:59

These books can be found in many places on-line. I picked up my first four - the britsih isles, spain/portugal, provincial france and italy - at a garage sale and instantly fell in love with them. from there, I located the rest of them over the course of about a 16 months through these sources:

They usually ran between 5 and 10 dollars for each one, plus book-rate shipping, and I bought one or two a month in order to spread out the cost. Occasionally, one was slightly more but this was due to the fact that it was hard-to-find, so I was willing to pay the higher price.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 17:12
I told Ron earlier I had some of these, I just counted and I have 12 of them.  I thought I had them all and it turns out I have less than half of the series so I've got some work to do to find the others.  Too bad they don't reissue these.

Here's the ones I have:

American Cooking
Cooking of the British Isles
Cooking of China
Cooking of Provincial France
Cooking of Germany
Cooking of India
Cooking of Italy
Middle Eastern Cooking
Cooking of Scandinavia
Cooking of Spain and Portugal
Cooking of Vienna's Empire
Wines and Spirits

Andy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 13:23
I should have thought of this earlier, but here it is - a very nice description of the series from Wiki that outlines the objective very well:

Quote Foods of the World was a popular series of 27 cookbooks published by Time-Life, beginning in 1968 and extending through the early 1970s, that provided a broad survey of many of the world's major cuisines. The individual volumes were written by well-known experts on the various cuisines and included significant contemporary food writers, including Craig Claiborne, Pierre Franey, James Beard, Julia Child, and M.F.K. Fisher, and was overseen by food writer Michael Field who died before the series was complete. The series combined recipes with food-themed travelogues in an attempt to show the cultural context from which each recipe sprang.

Each volume came in two parts -- the main book was a large-format, photograph-heavy hardcover book, while extra recipes were presented in a spiralbound booklet with cover artwork to complement the main book. The individual volumes remain collector's items and are widely available on the secondhand market.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 18:16
Mrs. Andy mentioned to me the other day that a thrift store she frequents had some of these books.  We went over this evening and I was fortunate to add 12 more volumes from this series, all in very nice condition, to my collection for the grand sum of 99 cents per book.  Needless to say, I am thrilled and now only lack the Latin American, Russian, and New England books and I will have the entire series.

The store also has a number of volumes for 99 cents which I already own.  If anyone is interested I am sure we can work something out, 99 cents per book is a fraction of what they normally sell for and is a smoking deal if you collect this series.

Provincial France
Vienna's Empire
China
Scandinavia
America
India
Middle Eastern Cooking
Spain and Portugal
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 19:20
andy, i don't have an extra copy of latin america around, but if i see one i'll get it for you. if you can pick me up another copy of vienna's empire, spain/portugal, middle east, india and france, i'd sure appreciate it (long story) - let me know what cost + shipping would be, and i'll send down a money order or equivalent trade for ya, if you want! Thumbs Up
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 19:35
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

andy, i don't have an extra copy of latin america around, but if i see one i'll get it for you. if you can pick me up another copy of vienna's empire, spain/portugal, middle east, india and france, i'd sure appreciate it (long story) - let me know what cost + shipping would be, and i'll send down a money order or equivalent trade for ya, if you want! Thumbs Up

No problem, I'll be happy to pick them up for you in the morning.

I told the Mrs on the way home I should have just went ahead and bought the rest of them, I was hoping someone on here might want them.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 19:37
thanks, andy ~ shoot me a PM and we can square up ~~
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 19:39
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

thanks, andy ~ shoot me a PM and we can square up ~~

Sure will, sent you something cool in email as well.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 16:41
Picked them up this morning.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 19:41
I guess I'll have to start getting theseSmile
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 23:09
Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

I guess I'll have to start getting theseSmile

Great series, I wish they would re-issue them.  I have been a fan for over 20 years.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2014 at 19:26
Arg! I had a chance to buy the whole set at a used library book sale today, probably dirt cheap, but I have no place to put them and no way to carry such a heavy box. They look lovely!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2014 at 04:41
Dang, Melissa - I wish the circumstances would have been different. I enjoy reading them and I bet you would have, too! Ouch
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2014 at 06:34
Tas, 

I have found the historical and geographical to be of great interest.

Thank you for posting. Amazon is an excellent source for 2nd hand books too.

Have nice weekend. 
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2014 at 15:24
Well, today was an adventure. That book sale is a weekly thing. I thought about those books all week, and finally thought "Dangit, I WANT those books! If they're still there this week, I'm buying them if I have to drag them home one by one and stash them under the bed." (Which would be tricky, as my bed has no "under.")

So I got up early and rushed over to the book sale. No FOTW. The lady who was there last week wasn't there. I sighed and got a nice bread-machine cookbook instead, and went off to the farmers' market.

Came back, and decided to loiter around the book sale some more. The lady from last week was there, telling a customer "We have some more romance novels in with the overflow in that other room, but none of us has a key."

Breathless, i asked "Remember those cookbooks I was drooling over last week? Any chance that they could be in there?"

"Maybe, but we'd need a maintenance guy to unlock the door."

'If they're in there, could I reserve them?

"Sure."

"Thanks. How much would you want for them?"

"Oh, they were in the discard pile. You could have them for whatever you feel like donating."

(She would've GIVEN them to me, and the best price I saw online was $88!)

I tracked down a maintenance guy with a key. He unlocked the room. There were various books, and a large, lidded white box, like the one that the FotW books had been displayed in. The book sale lady opened it...

Romance novels. :SIGH: Cry
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2014 at 15:27

Melissa,

Too bad !! Never hesitate when you see a great cookbook !!!

Sorry to hear the downer news.

Happy July 4th.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2014 at 16:44
Or in this case, many great cookbooks. :)

Thanks!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 10:58
At last, I own some FOTW cookbooks! I found the Latin America and Spain and Portugal ones at a booksale today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic