Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

2010 backyard garden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 backyard garden
    Posted: 01 February 2010 at 16:14
this will be an ongoing thread which will be updated periodically.

this year, i've got a few new things i'd like to try, as well as some long-standing favorites. proposals include:

• early girl tomatoes
  • san marzano tomatoes
  • yellow pear tomatoes
  • cherry tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • carrots
  • peas
  • eggplant
  • yellow onions
  • white onions
  • walla walla onions
  • spring onions/scallions
  • russet potatoes
  • red potatoes
  • yukon gold potatoes

i'd also like to look into some chiles, including cayenne, jalapeno and the pepper used for hungarian paprika, if i can find it. also, RIVET sent some chile seeds. i don't remember for sure which ones they are but when i dig them out of storage i'll post them here.

garlic is something i am really interested in growing, but it must be planted in the fall and i keep neglecting to do that each year.

there may be some others along the way, and also, some of the ones above may wither ont he vine and fall by the wayside - will keep in touch as progress contnues.

Edited by TasunkaWitko - 01 February 2010 at 16:16
Sponsored Links

Beer-B-Q View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant
Rest in Peace - 22 DEC 2011

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beer-B-Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 00:59
This year we are planting manly tomatoes and peppers.

Tomatoes:
  • Black Krim
  • Cherokee Purple
  • Mortgage Lifter
  • Orange Wellington Hybrid
  • Yellow Pear
  • Green Zebra
  • Beef steak
  • Golden Jubilee
  • Brandywine
  • Big Boy
  • Mr Stripey
  • Cherry
  • Grape
Peppers:
  • Jalapeno
  • Big Jim Nu Mex
  • Bell
  • Hot Hungarian Wax
  • Sweet Hungarian Wax
  • Poblano
  • Cayenne
Other Vegetables:
  • Cucumbers
  • Beets
  • Green Beans
  • onions
Established Plants:
  • Asparagus
  • Horseradish
  • Rhubarb
  • Grapes
  • Blackberry
  • Raspberry
  • Peaches

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2010 at 15:04
alrighty - i placed my order today for my san marzano seeds. i also ordered a package of tabasco pepper seeds, which i will probably grow indoors. will start these and most of the rest of the seeds when my order arrives.
daniel77 View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 13:26
Got another tip for ya'll on those peppers. The tabasco particularly will cause you skin to burn where ever you touch them, so be sure you pee BEFORE you pick peppers, or just use latex gloves. They work pretty well for okra and those little sticklies also.Even the folks working at the Tabasco Plantation down here, and have been picking peppers for decades, say their hands still burn every day they pick.
If what you're serving comes on a cracker, you'd better have a lot of it.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 13:55

>>>so be sure you pee BEFORE you pick peppers<<<

yep, i found that out the HARD way with jalapenos, which are milder. that was enough for me!

don't intend to learn any lessons that the tabascos might teach!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 13:16
the san marzano tomato and tabasco pepper seeds arrived yesterday. i'd like to get everything started in planters this weekend.

for these tomatoes and peppers, i got a couple of those "upside-down" planters. i figured they would be worth a try and then i could hang the plants in areas where they would get the best sun/shade conditions. this of course looking a few weekn into the future. for now, i will do my best to get things started in one of those "home greenhouse" kits this weekend. disks of compatced starter soil that will puff up when water is added. i'll also get some other tomatoes and peppers started, maybe cucumbers, peas and eggplant as well..
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 14:06
alrighty, a little behind schedule but not too bad, considering the weather.

i've got some seeds started, including zucchini, cucumber, san marzano tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes, tabasco peppers, and some unknown red chiles that taste really good. i've also started a few strawberry seeds, but i am not too confident about these since i only had 10 and i didn't even see them when they hit the dirt. also started some sunflower seeds.

i've got a few more things i want to try and will get them started in the next few days. a few more chiles, probably peas and eggplant, some anasazi beans (also known as jacob's cattle, i think?) and possibly corn. will also plant potatoes and various onions outside when the time is right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic